CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Stuff and Nonsense
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Stuff and Nonsense For off-topic chatter. Keep it PG-13; no sex, politics or religion!

Old 04-04-2008, 04:44 AM   #1
Susie Rosenberg

Profile:
a big step

On April 21st, I'm going to have surgery to decompress my cervical spine.

This surgery will involve sawing through the ring part of two vertebrae in my neck, removing the two discs, putting in hinges, bone grafts for a fusion, and screws and plates.

When he's done with me, I'll have fusions at 4 cervical levels, and will lose the ability to flex and extend my neck. I will be able to rotate from side to side. I guess that means I'll be able to shake "no" but not "yes!"

The cord compression currently has me feeling pretty weak, especially in my upper body. I can hardly do a pushup, never mind lifting anything heavy. Doc says the goal of surgery is to prevent further disability, the cord doesn't regenerate, so I shouldn't expect to recover function I've already lost.

So here's the thing.

Up on the leader board at Albany Crossfit, my old PRs are recorded, and I will tell you, I am proud of those numbers. They are damned good numbers.
But I don't like the idea of them standing as a monument to dusty old performances. I may never be able to do those things again as fast or as heavy as I did.

So they're irrelevant.

Today, I'm going to erase them from the board.

I don't care how long it takes, but I will put numbers back up on that board. One year, two years, doesn't matter. The numbers will likely be a fraction of the ones up there now---I'm no fool, I'm not going to hurt myself for the frail glory of a leader board---but I will get some numbers up there.

I tell you honestly, dealing with these limitations is harder than doing Hero workouts back-to-back.

I know. I 've done them.

Susie
Old 04-04-2008, 07:36 AM   #2
Barry Cooper

Profile:
Re: a big step

I'm sure you're scared, but that sounds like a good way of helping yourself push through. ALL accomplishment has to be measured against what you pushed through to get there, and on that measure, your best days may well be ahead of you.

Best of luck!!!
Old 04-04-2008, 08:17 AM   #3
Camille Lore

Profile:  

Good luck, Susie! We're all pulling for you.
Old 04-04-2008, 08:21 AM   #4
Rob Egan

Profile:

Susie,

I've always felt that you should strive for big numbers and PRs, but they aren't what lies at the heart of Crossfit. Putting your very best effort into what you do, inside and out of the gym, is what really matters. By your post I can tell that you do put your best effort in because of the pride you hold for your numbers. That sense of pride and ability to work hard is something that shouldn't be altered by the surgery.

It sounds like an extensive procedure and I wish you a quick recovery. Please keep us updated on how you're doing post-op.

Also, I would take a picture before erasing the numbers just in case you want to look back on them sometime down the line, IMHO.

-Rob
Old 04-04-2008, 10:26 AM   #5
Sarena Kopciel

Profile:

Thoughts, blessing and prayers. Susie you are strong and have a worldwide community of likeminded people rooting for you on a daily basis!! We love ya!
Old 04-04-2008, 11:03 AM   #6
Brandon Oto

Profile:

It doesn't seem fair, actually. Nobody else gets to use cyborg implants.
Old 04-04-2008, 11:05 AM   #7
Matt DeMinico

Profile:

Good luck with it. Though I don't fully understand the complete workings of the nervous system, and I know nerves don't really just grow back on their own, but you'll be amazed what your body can do to compensate for weaknesses and limitations. If your body can't accomplish something the way it expects it can, if you work hard enough at it, it may find a new way to do it, maybe not as well, but it may allow you to regain some previous functionality.

Then again, I'm no doc, but the human body is an amazing creation.
Old 04-04-2008, 04:14 PM   #8
Susie Rosenberg

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Oto View Post
It doesn't seem fair, actually. Nobody else gets to use cyborg implants.
Brandon, have I told you lately that I love you?

You made me !!!!!

I did it today, hauled out the ladder, got up there and erased the whole shebang. I know it was the right time, that I've done my grieving because I didn't feel sad doing it. I felt good.

My first goal is to be on my feet to enjoy helping to host the Albany Crossfit East Coast challenge! I'll be the one in a cervical collar running around feeding everybody. Come say hi!

Susie
Old 04-04-2008, 04:37 PM   #9
Derek Maffett

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susie Rosenberg View Post
Brandon, have I told you lately that I love you?
You're taking singing lessons?
Old 04-06-2008, 12:42 PM   #10
Susie Rosenberg

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Maffett View Post
You're taking singing lessons?
Oh, Derek...if you heard me sing....you wouldn't ask!!!

Years ago, when I was in my theater phase, I kept having the same experience at auditions. In a non-musical production, if there was a part remotely right for me, I would get it, or at least come back and read a second time.

If it were a musical, well....I would get past the acting part, get past the dance audition, but when it came time to sing? "Thank you, NEXT!!!!!" faster than you can spit on yourself in a stiff wind.

But I do have a crush on Brandon ever since he took off on his bike.

Susie