CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 05-29-2008, 08:03 PM   #101
David Clarke

Profile:
Re: Commercial gyms amaze me

My globogym's pretty innocuous. It's small and very bench and curl-oriented, the hours aren't great and the music's just wacky (basically what you'd expect to find in a supermarket), but it's cheap and it's less than 10 minutes by foot and it has a pool, so I try not to hate on the trainers who endanger their clients or the guys doing barbell curls in the power racks, because it's so much easier to just do my thing and get out. Also, the mirrors are set up in a way that if I'm lifting in front of the squat rack--doing DLs or rows or whatever--I can look straight forward and see my body in profile. Which is pretty nice when I'm not 100% sure on my form.

But today, amusement. There's a communal weightlifting belt at the gym--one of those with the thin front and the wide back, and this one in particular had a strange square pad, about 7" across, that sits at the back. I don't know what it feels like because I won't use it. But somebody was using it today, putting it on and taking it off for his sets...

of...

SLDLs.

Now, it makes me happy to see other people doing even deadlift assist exercises--better than the weighted back extension machine, or the back extension bench or whatever. And I don't think it's inherently hilarious or sad that this man who is otherwise much stronger than I am was deadlifting 95 pounds.

What made me laugh was the fact that he was wearing a weight belt to do this--to lower a barbell to his ankles by rounding his back.

How on earth was that supposed to work?
Old 05-30-2008, 07:47 AM   #102
Brian Wilson

Profile:

My globo/work gym put up a sign for me and my CF workout partner "Absolutely No Chalk Allowed" right next to the squat rack/pullup bar (the only one of either in the gym).

We ignore it and also take it down frequently as that's the only space to do HSPU. So there's some really nice black "skid marks" on the wall around it now too.

Also not allowed to remove the barbell from inside the squat rack - yes, I can't take the barbell outside of the squat rack - apparently that's the barbell's happy place, it would be sad if we took it outside of the rack to do say Push Jerk or OHS. I don't do OHS in the squat rack anymore b/c I lost it backward but couldn't bail. Slammed the crap out of my hand and then bled all over said squat rack - so obviously it's more safe to keep the barbell in the rack.

Last, I was looking at some of those OPT v. Bionic videos yesterday and no **** this video came up and I couldn't help myself:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7-AA...aynext_from=QL

It's wfs, but you may want to kill yourself.

Brian
Old 05-30-2008, 05:37 PM   #103
David Meverden

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Wilson View Post
Last, I was looking at some of those OPT v. Bionic videos yesterday and no **** this video came up and I couldn't help myself:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7-AA...aynext_from=QL

It's wfs, but you may want to kill yourself.

Brian
Is this a joke? "Vanity Workout"? The description links to a Vanity Workout webpage that, though mostly under construction, makes me think this might be a serious endeavor.

Can it REALLY be serious though? If I wanted to create something, PURELY TO MOCK the sickening culture of vanity and materialism I would make THAT VIDEO.

I'm baffled and kind of want to vomit at the same time.
Old 05-30-2008, 06:07 PM   #104
Tom Woodward

Profile:

Wow, that guy's videos are great

I can't resist:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLTRhT6VeVs (WFS)
Old 05-30-2008, 06:14 PM   #105
Sean O'Neal

Profile:

check this out....we just got a "Functional Training" room at the Co-Rec here at Purdue...we've med balls and everythang...but

You can't throw or slam the balls

You can't drop the weights on the floor

and there's some other dumb s@&% that you can't do

where's the functionality at?

I'm definitely getting kicked outta the gym next semester

Last edited by Sean O'Neal : 05-30-2008 at 06:19 PM.
Old 05-30-2008, 06:43 PM   #106
Travis Rieber

Profile:

Sean. If you're going to go into a gym and break all the rules, don't mention you're with Crossfit. If you're going to to insist on being that guy, at least do some research on these boards. Many generic medicine balls will not handle being slammed and, as far as I know, no bars are can handle being dropped regularly if you don't have bumpers and quality bars, which I'm betting your gym doesn't.
I'm not trying to call you out. You're just not doing our community any good by demonstrating to the public that Crossfitters are a bunch of loud jerks that break equipment.
Old 05-30-2008, 06:48 PM   #107
Sean O'Neal

Profile:

I was exaggerating a little bit with the "kicked out" comment but I understand what your saying...It did cross my mind that there must be a reason for the rules, I'll look into it further. thanks for the heads up Travis
Old 05-30-2008, 10:25 PM   #108
Samuel Friedman

Profile:

The worst one for me is when people insist that exercise X is very dangerous...and then proceed to deadlift w/ bad form