CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 12-01-2007, 11:16 AM   #1
Tyrrell Bailey

Profile:
Question Just getting started

Hey guys and gals. I came across this site about a month ago and have gotten hooked. The approach CF takes to fitness has really caught my interest. I'm a fairly experienced athlete (former collegiate athlete). I thought that I was strong, but CF has really brought my weaknesses into light.

I think that the WOD is great, although I'm a little confused on how most CF'ers approach it. In the "Getting Started" portion of this sight it says that if a person is experienced in strength training it is probably best to jump right into the WOD. In another section it said that I should master the olympic lifts and basic gymnastic moves. My question is how do you all do it? Do you only do the WOD? Or do you do the WOD then work on the lifts and gymnastic moves?

Any help would be great!
Old 12-01-2007, 12:11 PM   #2
Elliot Fuller

Profile:
Re: Just getting started

It's sort of a whatever fits your fancy thing.

The oly lifts are a league of their own. Even if you're a tremendous athlete, if you've never done them with any sort of seriousness, it's best not to do the oly WODs as rx'd quite yet. You might even substitute "weightless" PVC in place of an oly bar while you get the form down.

As far as the metcon stuff goes, just be weary of the intensity. You don't want to shock your body. Even if you're capable of it, it's best to ease into the WODs (search for rhabdomyolysis and you'll see why). It won't kill you to ease into the heavy metcon workouts over a month -- it might kill you not to, though

Personally (and I'm only about 6 months in, myself), I started off with about 1/2 rx WODs, either scaling down the weight on the lifts (BrandX is great for this) or lowering reps. I did that for about 2 months before I felt confident enough to start increasing.

I still only do maybe 1/3 of the WODs exactly as prescribed. I never bothered to focus on oly form, so it was no wonder why whenever the oly wods came around, my performance was terrible.

In the last few weeks I've started working into a Starting Strength sort of routine, subbing the 2nd WOD of each cycle with some sort of lift that I feel needs work. This is great for oly practice. I also include the Burgener warmup into every warmup now (has helped a LOT, surprisingly).

But that's about all I do. Sometimes I'll get bored on a rest day and go fool around on the rings or something. But pretty much it's just WOD-LIFT-WOD-REST --- REPEAT

The takeaway is basically do what your body responds best to. Taking the time to master the form on the oly lifts will not only increase your strength and efficiency but also safety (I learned that the hard way). Other than that, don't kill yourself and take time to notice changes/improvements and see how best to tweak your system. Any changes you make won't happen overnight, and they'll take some time to figure out what works best for you.

For me, since I have decent metcon performance, but major lifting weakness, I've opted to replace that 2nd wod with lifting. To the best of my knowledge, a large portion of people on here follow only the WOD and see amazing results with that alone.
Old 12-02-2007, 09:07 AM   #3
Tyrrell Bailey

Profile:

Thats a good advice Elliot. Thanks for the help!
Old 12-02-2007, 11:17 PM   #4
Alex Rosch

Profile:

scale till you get the reps, then intensity, then the weights.
You kind of approach them all together...you do the scaled WODs, do some gymnastic holds and stuff if you have the energy, practice what you suck at and repeat.

Old 12-03-2007, 08:20 PM   #5
Tyrrell Bailey

Profile:

Thanks for the help. You guys are awesome!
Old 12-04-2007, 06:03 AM   #6
Lisa Quinn

Profile:

Welcome Tyrrell~
Enjoy the community, WOD's and greater fitness level you'll experience.
Lisa Q