CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 02-22-2008, 01:39 AM   #1
James Rios

Profile:
Bagua?

Anybody heard of it before? It looks WAY cool, plus i like the whole concept of "circle walking". That would definitly make for some interesting fight applications. if you dont know what it is check it out...
i know most of you guys out there are grapplers so i do expect much of a response. i was just wondering if anyone had heard of it and had any thoughts about it...
Old 02-22-2008, 07:22 AM   #2
Tom Brose

Profile:
Re: Bagua?

I learned a little bagua, and have seen some really good bagua people. I think as you get more into esoteric ad internal martial arts, the fluff to legit ratio goes way up, but the real stuff is very impressive (just hard to find). I was lucky enough to get introduced to the Sha Jin Jie, whose father was Sha Guo Zheng, considered one of the greatest masters in China:

(w/f safe, demonstration @ 84 years old)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMEPH...eature=related

From the little bit I was taught, I learned to move more fluidly. Having done southern style CMA, muay Thai, Bando and some boxing, that helped a lot. Unfortunately I am not able to deliver the absurdly surprising power that really talented bagua guys showed.
Old 02-22-2008, 11:27 AM   #3
James Rios

Profile:

that was pretty dang awesome. If you could flow like that in a real fight you would be unstoppable. no one would know what to do to you.

I hope one day i can get a few lessons in, but at the moment thats not looking to promising. i barely have time for one day a week at my Kenpo studio
Old 02-24-2008, 01:26 PM   #4
Kawika Bennett

Profile:

I have a couple of books on Bagua. I have never studied the system. From what i have read and gathered from various texts it was one of the 3 primary internal arts.
Taichi, Bagua and Hsingi.

Bagua walks the circle a special footwork pattern designed to deal with opponents as part of their shadow boxing, footwork is imperative in this system which myth or fact is said to be capable of fighting 8 opponents at once.
I am one to believe it is a system capable of fighting more than one opponent specifically from the footwork and the way they walk the circle contorting this way and that. As quality of opponents go up i am sure the risk to reward ratio inverses.

I would consider it a worthy art to commit a lifetime to if the instructors pedigree is legit and close to the source.
Considering fighting abilities there are systems today that can be learned immediately and used as such if immediate martial ability is the goal. For practitioners I suspect it may take some time to be able to use such a system to fight effectivelly. This could be sped up by the instructor as well as 'hard' style type sparring and the sparring of various bodies from various systems and hybrids.
One of the books i have read on Bagua claims there was a tournament held in the early 1900s(maybe 1915-20s) to decide which chinese system ruled supreme. The Bagua guy did really well to the 'finals', but according to the book he pulled his shots to not maim/kill his opponent and thus lost or forfeited.

Jet li was trained in bagua, wushu and uses it in most of his movies. The One and Kiss of the Dragon had more Bagua than some of the other movies. He walked the circle in The One and used the pentagram/trigram that i think is based on fibonacci numbers, gann numbers . All these numbers coorelate and hence the reason for 21, 7, and others being considered 'magic' numbers in various societies because they occur in nature.

I have a friend who studies Bagua and fought at the Dog Brothers Gathering in the summer of 07. My friend fought knife(fake) on knife. She did fought well, Bagua is not her only system, i am aware that she also studied with the late Sonny Umpad.
The footwork in both systems is very important and she pulled off a lot of technique. of course it was still a stabfest at times.
Old 02-24-2008, 01:52 PM   #5
Kawika Bennett

Profile:

I read an article back in the day dealing with 'silk reeling power' or the development of physical striking power for internal styles of martial arts. Of note was the advocacy of the powerclean. Likely for the same reason athletes need it. O lifts including the variants like the powerclean develop and condition the ability to immediately produce an explosive force. From what i have seen and read this refers more to arts like tai chi where their primary strikes are rooted or coming from the ground through the opponent, whilst bagua(from what i have seen is more circular-hooks).
Old 03-05-2008, 08:25 AM   #6
Joe Venuti

Profile:

I've been studying Ba Gua (or Pa Kua) for sometime now.

I love it, but like anything it depends on who you get as an instructor and what you put back into it.

If you get a chance check out Bok Nam Park's website http://www.pa-kua.com.
(w/f safe) He's the real deal. If can get to one of his seminars you won't regret it.

His first book The Fundamentals of Pa Kua Chang is a great read too.
Old 03-06-2008, 06:08 AM   #7
Dave Randolph

Profile:

Bagua or Pa kua or Pa Qua is one of the 4 major internal arts. Defined by its circular movements in all directions. Thinks energy spiraling everywhere.
It uses a lot of palm strikes and throws. It requires and develops the ability to bridge the gap to close with the opponent, disrupt their root and destroy them.

On the other hand it is also a great exercise system as well. The Bagua qi gong and the meditative aspects of circle walking have tremendous benefits for health.

low basin circle walking is a hell of a leg workout

It is HARD to find a truly competent instructor that knows more than just the basics. To be really good at Bagua takes 8 to 10 years of solid practice.

There are lots of clips on you tube
Old 03-06-2008, 03:34 PM   #8
Anton Emery

Profile:

First you need to ask yourself why you are training. If you want applicable fighting skill stick to boxing, wrestling, judo, kick boxing, muay thai, or BJJ, to name a few. I checked out that vid and while it looks cool is that going to work in a real fight? I dont think so, not unless that guy tries it against fully resisting opponents, and he will quickly realize it does not actually work.

The problem with arts like these is that they are not practicing against alive opponents. They need to suit up and spar to see if it works.

Of course if you are interested in just the relaxation or meditative quality of it and are not worried about fighting skill then disregard what i said above.

Sorry if i sound kind of harsh.

Anton