CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 01-15-2007, 09:16 PM   #1
Gordon Mann

Profile:
Hello everyone,
I am brand new to crossfit and really need it. My wife and I are both over weight and have 4 boys 14,12,11, and 8. Our goal is to get us in shape and keep them in shape. We just did a home gym. Dip, pull up rack, free weights and bench, Machine for when you have noone to spot you, dumbells, exercise bike, jump ropes and medicine balls. And those rubber mats are 90# each and smell really bad.
I am a pharmacist and hope to be able to contribute and help in some small way while I bask in your wisdom.
Thanks for crossfit.
Gordon
Old 01-15-2007, 11:31 PM   #2
James Besenyei

Profile:
Gordon,

Four boys!! God bless you brother, that's a handful. I'm also new here, and have begun acquiring the equipment to outfit a garage gym recently (rack, bar, bumper plates, bench). Just curious what type of mats you purchased, and how you like them so far?

-Jim.
Old 01-16-2007, 04:15 AM   #3
Gordon Mann

Profile:
I purchased rubber stall mats from tractor supply. They are 4ft x 6 ft x 3/4 inch and wt is about 90# they cost about $40.00 each around here.
They work well be stink pretty bad.
Gordon
Old 01-16-2007, 05:42 AM   #4
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Great job starting out Gotdon. Make sure you have a good Olympic bar, buy from one of our vendors. Also, start to purchase bumper plates, rather then just plain old iron. Two reasons: 1. The diameter of the plates put the bar in the proper place for pulls off the ground, even with lighter weight (10 lb bumpers are the same diameter as 45 lb bumpers). 2. You could self spot by learning how to dump the weight...doesn't work quite as well with iron. Welcome, take it slow, concentrate on NUTRITION, use the search function, get the Crossfit Journal, and have fun.
Old 01-16-2007, 08:17 AM   #5
Michael Manseau

Profile:
Gordon;
Here's an idea, why not have the kids do crossfit as well? http://crossfitkids.typepad.com/ (work/family safe)
The link for scaled work outs of the day (WOD) are there too (for you & your wife).
Old 01-16-2007, 04:25 PM   #6
Brad Davis

Profile:
So what exactly do those stall mats smell like, that makes them stink so badly? Rubber? Something else...?
Old 01-16-2007, 08:08 PM   #7
Dale S. Jansen

Profile:
the odor dissipates after a little while...and they are awesome. quite an improvement over the old carpet i used to have under my equipment. rubber mats good...hit the nutrition thread. basically up the good fats and vege/fruit carbs, dump the breads/pasta/potatoes/rice.this is HUGE if looking for gains in fitness as well as more homestatic function of neuroendocrine/hormonal responses. have fun.
Old 01-17-2007, 05:00 AM   #8
Gordon Mann

Profile:
I actually have an olympic wt bar with iron plates that came with all the used equipment. I did notice that only with the 35 or 45 # plates are squats possible due to possition. I am also having problems with the boys practicing form with the bar only due to possition. Any suggustions? I guess so 10# rubber bumper plates would solve the problem.

And the matts just smell like rubber but with 10 of them it permiated the entire house. It is now going away though.
Gordon
Old 01-17-2007, 03:40 PM   #9
James Besenyei

Profile:
Glad to hear the smell goes away! I've been looking at mats from a tractor supply store too, and was curious where you purchased them precisely b/c they had a strong odor in the store. Thanks for the info.

-Jim.
Old 01-27-2007, 04:33 PM   #10
Scott Clark

Profile:

Welcome aboard Gordon. Sounds like you've jumped in head first - always a good thing :-) The stink from the mats will ease in a few weeks.