CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 09-25-2006, 11:56 AM   #1
Rene Renteria

Profile:
I'm finally in a place to put a garage gym together. I bought some threaded 1" galvanized pipe from Home Depot with elbows and floor flanges to mount to exposed joists (that hold up the floor above), using all the great advice and pics posted here previously. But I have some basic questions.

How far do I need to screw the pipes into one another? Can some thread be showing or do I need to find some honking pipe wrenches and really get them down in there?

These hand tighten a few turns. Then I could crank them maybe another full turn with some smallish wrenches. Is that enough? (Looking inside the joint, I can see more thread available, and there is some thread still outside of the joints or connections.)

I'm planning to attach them with 1/4" x 2-1/2" lag screws with washers onto the flanges (4 screws each). Do you typically pre-drill a pilot hole or just use a socket wrench to drive them? Will adding a bit of bar soap to the screws to make driving them easier affect the wood or holding power?

Thanks for any advice; not much experience in the home maintenance/builder type projects. I don't want to end up on my head on the concrete floor!

Best,
Rene'
Old 09-25-2006, 01:06 PM   #2
Michael Stehle

Profile:
I just did this on friday. I hand tightened the pipe to the flanges and to the elbows as well (it can't hurt to get more w/ a wrench). I bolted the whole system to a 2x6 and attached the entire assembly to the joists w/ the lag screws. I did predrill the holes for the lag screws. The bar is solid, even for kipping. The bar is three feet in length, and drops down two feet from the ceiling. I suppose it would be more stable if I used shorter pipe coming down, but it works.
Old 09-25-2006, 01:27 PM   #3
Adrian "Hank" Garfield
Member Adrian

Profile:
i would check with a smaller local hardware store. the ones around me rent tools, and i would get a pipe wrench and really tighten those fittings onto the pipe. it is an extra level of safety, and i think you can never be too safe.

you could also use some pipe dope or teflon tape and really be sure they stay together once they are screwed.
Old 09-25-2006, 03:09 PM   #4
Chris Jordan

Profile:
I don't think you gain much by threading it all the way in. Both ends are screwed in opposite directions so it's not likely to come unscrewed and threading it in further won't increase the shear strengyh of the pipe. But it won't hurt to borrow a pipe wrench.

I also attached my pull-up bar at four points overhead. No wobble.
http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/26/30638.jpg
Old 09-25-2006, 03:53 PM   #5
Frank M Needham

Profile:
I wouldn't want any loose fittings myself. Getting a pipe wrench shouldn't be to tall an order for peace of mind. Your lags sound good and a pilot hole is also good. Drill the pilot with a 3/16 bit and then cinch it down. To tighten up the lags its a lot easier to use a strong drill motor with a 7/16 socket attached but be careful if you're up on a ladder. The drill's torque could send you off if it is strong.

Chris' application using four points is excellent!
Old 09-25-2006, 07:55 PM   #6
Chris Jordan

Profile:
Oh, Frank! I don't want to imply that loose fittings are ok in any way but I guess that's what I said. I just don't think you need to crank all the thread down into the elbow. You should get a sufficient snuggle with your crossfit grip and using the parts you are assembling as leverage to twist the rest tighter.
Old 09-26-2006, 09:56 AM   #7
Rene Renteria

Profile:
Yes, I wasn't worried about unscrewing so much as having enough pipe inside the joints to resist the leverage. A couple of people mentioned only getting maybe another turn or two max using a pipe wrench, so I went with the small wrenches I had and used leverage with the pieces. I C-clamped the flanges to a board and rotated the pipes and was easily able to seat them into the flange all the way.

Only problem was the cheaply made Home Depot pipe. One nipple had the wrong threads on one end (not tapered--how did that happen?), and the 3 foot piece had skewed threads on one end so that it wasn't straight. So hand assemble the thing in the store to make sure the pieces will all work and are straight. (Obvious, I know, but I was in a hurry and forgot to do this, only checking a couple.)

I also may need to drop the bar to give my head more clearance. It's a bit of a tighter fit in between the floor joists than I had in mind! So I'll be mounting the pipe to 2x6s or something and mounting those to the beam.

Ahh, projects! Maybe one of these days I'll actually work out in my gym. (Got the stall mats down, from Half Moon Bay Feed and Fuel, if you're looking for them in the Bay Area closer than Davis/Woodland, $50 each; time to order some bumpers and a bar!)

Thanks for the advice,
Rene'