CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 03-06-2006, 12:42 PM   #1
Kevin Anderson

Profile:
A single speed mountain bike with 29" wheels. So simple. Any opinions? Seems like the way to go. I'd like to hear from the cyclists out there.
Old 03-06-2006, 12:45 PM   #2
Kevin Anderson

Profile:
Here is the bike that I looked at...

http://www.fisherbikes.com/bikes/bik...-29er&bike=Rig
Old 03-06-2006, 06:20 PM   #3
Motion Macivor

Profile:
Kevin,
I think that's a really cool bike!
I've had four Fishers and I really like the way they handle. The 29" wheels should roll faster, but accelerate slower than 26" wheels, and they wont be quite as strong. I read a review of a bike that had a 26" wheel in the back and 29" in the front. Kind of a best of both worlds set up. If you did smash the rear wheel you cold easily replace it with 26" wheel for about $70. The 29" should be fine in the front but make sure that you're foot does'nt hit the wheel when you make a sharp turn. This can be a problem with smaller frames. I think you just found an empty spot in my quiver :happy:
Old 03-07-2006, 06:11 AM   #4
Don Woodson

Profile:
Can somebody explain this bizarre attraction to single speeds? Especially with a mountain bike?
I still chug along on my old 70's vintage Viscount ten speed, with 27" wheels. The hills I climb with it are close to 45 degrees sometimes. Some are even steeper. I can make it up these hills now on the big chain ring and on the large rear sprocket, but when I'm going down these hills, I put it on the smallest sprocket and the biggest chain ring, and can still go faster than I can peddle.
So it seems to me, if I only had one gear ratio to choose from, one that will let me crank the thing up the hills, that same gearset will not let me accelerate down these hills.
So, I just don't get it. Why the attraction?

I do want to get another bike, just because mine's getting old, and with the shifters on the down tubes, shifting up during high speed downhills gets tricky sometimes because of its tendency to start wobbling real bad.
Old 03-07-2006, 11:05 AM   #5
Jason Millard

Profile:
I think the easiest explanation would be - If your everyday 24 or 27 speed bike = bodybuilding + cardio, then single speeding = CrossFit. Only whack-o's do it.

As far as the 29'er, I'd almost compare it to full suspension - it makes you a lazy rider. The more "efficient" the bike is by design, the less skill it takes to get it over/around/through obstacles. I think you'd see a greater return on your biking workout if you learned how & when to shift your weight, use your momentum, and properly place your pedals depending on what's in front of you.

Just this rider's .02...

(Message edited by jaymills on March 07, 2006)
Old 03-07-2006, 11:54 AM   #6
Garrett Smith

Profile:
Don,
You just can't know what it's like and the attraction until you've ridden one. As Jason says, much like CF, one does it a little bit and they are typically either hooked by the concept or they want something easier.
Old 03-07-2006, 12:37 PM   #7
Motion Macivor

Profile:
Don

The basic Idea is that it forces you to pedal faster down hill and pedal slower/harder uphill. I agree with jason that only whackos do it but the atraction for me is that you can easily set up a super light bike that will require minimal maintanance. If you want to get into mountainbiking go ahead and buy one but if you love road riding I would say buy a new road bike you wont freaking believe how fast it is! Too many people get caught up with the idea that they "might" take the bike off road. So they by a crappy mountainbike and ride it around town wondering why all the roadies are smiling so much more than they are. If you want some more specific advice feel free to email me.

Actualy in the cold light of day I would never buy a single speed unless I had tons of spare cash in my pocket, and no other bikes left to buy.

Jason does full suspension make you lazier or just allow you to ride harder? Does it take less skill? I'm sure you could become a very skilled and fit rider with a cross bike but do you really think you'd be anywhere near the skill of a guy who's been pushing the limits of a DH bike?

I'm not being antagonistic but I strongly believe that technology is a cyclists friend, and that skill and fitness come from a desire to ride and push your own limits. When you buy a bike that is well suited to your purpose and desire you wont spend the day fighting to get by. You'll spend the day flying like a jedi on a speeder bike. The only thing that matters at the end of the day is that you have a huge smile on your face and you go to bed dreaming about the next time you get to ride your bike.

but that's just an opinion

Old 03-07-2006, 01:28 PM   #8
Jason Millard

Profile:
Motion, good points...especially the end.

I was thinking in XC terms & learning basics. If you were to put a new guy on a XC dualie he definitely can work to the point of blazing on the trail. Take the same guy once he's worked up to the point of blazing & give him a hardtail and I'd bet he'll be in a world of hurt by the end of the same ride. Lazy was probably the wrong word.

If you switch the same story around and put a blazing hardtailer on a XC dualie, yes, I agree you can ride harder and longer.

I think if you mix the basics with the constant forced variation of a single you basically end up with CF on wheels.

By the way, that wasn't meant to be a dig on dualies, especially DHer's. I respectfully tip my hat to their skill.

Don, like Motion said - if you're going to ride on the road, buy a road bike. No ifs, ands, or buts about it.

(Message edited by jaymills on March 07, 2006)
Old 03-07-2006, 01:41 PM   #9
Don Woodson

Profile:
Thanks guys, although "whacko" appeals to my workout persona, the fastness factor appeals to me even more. And I'm not much into mountain biking, as there are no real mountains around here, although the ravines I scramble up and down (on foot) are near vertical. So, I think I'll get me a new road bike. Nice and light, ergonomic shifters...still not sure what I'd need 27 speeds for though.
Thanks again.
Old 03-07-2006, 01:58 PM   #10
Motion Macivor

Profile:
Hey Jason whats the riding like in PA?