CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 03-23-2005, 10:36 PM   #1
Greg Kemp

Profile:
Maybe I am missing something, but after 2 weeks of Crossfit I see a heavy emphisis on the quads but very little going towards the Hamstrings. What exercised do they use to work the Hamies? I have been doning some extra RDL's to keep some balance with my legs
Old 03-23-2005, 11:25 PM   #2
Richard Belloff

Profile:

Sprints, squats for starters. Also bridging.

Old 03-24-2005, 12:42 AM   #3
Pat Janes

Profile:

Squats, deadlifts (we do a lot of these), glute-ham raises (not so many of these), oly lifts, sprinting, lunges, box jumps...

I'm not seeing predominantly quad dominant exercises...
Old 03-24-2005, 12:50 AM   #4
Peter Galloway

Profile:

Greg, maybe you've got some form issues with some of the exercises? When doing exercises such as squats, deads, cleans, thrusters etc, concentrate on pushing through your heels. This should recruit your hamstrings and glutes more. Like Pat says, the majority of movements in the WOD work the posterior chain in one way or another.
Old 03-24-2005, 10:51 AM   #5
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Greg-

I think we can get a bit squat centric (bowyweight) around here. As people have pointed out there are ways of recruiting the posterior chain more on squatting type movements but obviously this is not to the degree we get with DL's, sprints, sled work and the olympic lifts.

I have been doing some very dedicated OL of late and the place I feel it the most is the hammies. I think this is due in part to how much loading the OL and heavy squats place on the posterior chanin and I think it is due in part to the imballance in previous loading.

A good alternate to BW squats would be walking lunges IMO.
Robb
Old 03-25-2005, 11:18 AM   #6
Ron Nelson

Profile:
Weighted step-ups in your warm up will get those hammies firing!
Also, I found that if I concentrate on sticking my butt out during the DL or the squat, the posterior chain really get recruited into the movement!
Old 03-27-2005, 03:37 PM   #7
Pat Janes

Profile:

Kettlebell swings (or for those of us without kettlebells, dumbbell swings) are really good too.

Alternate KB swings and 400m sprints; your hammies should start screaming.
Old 03-27-2005, 08:45 PM   #8
Sonia Ng

Profile:

For pure strength/power(other options like weighted step-ups & walking lunges are good) & time-effectiveness-RDLs(Romanian deadlifts).jmo.

Some contributing factors to past knee injuries(me) were muscular imbalances between quad & hamstrings. Road to recovery included progressions from floor/heel bridges(pilates) to swiss-ball bridges/back extensions/lunges,etc to RDLs.

Dan John's "From The Ground Up" freebie Oly Lifting e-book has an excellent write up on P.30.

I "wavy" RDLs-heavy one week/light the next(but sometimes...I just downright forget,too!)

Old 03-27-2005, 08:49 PM   #9
Sonia Ng

Profile:

To even further emphasize the hammies-place weights or whatever under toes.

Form is CRITICAL when performing RDLs..Very easy to screw up & damage one's lower back. Good to start with light weights & focus on form for a session or 2(imo).

I get a few funny stares in my gym when I perform RDLs as most use the leg-curl thingie.
Old 03-28-2005, 01:15 PM   #10
Mike Burgener

Profile:
to work the hamstring that is the lower part...by the back of the knee...glute ham back extensions with a contraction of the hamstring on the way up. those that do not have a glute ham bench...kneel on the ground...have someone hold your ankles....now lower your torso down to the ground very slowly...no doubt you will get what coach calls the PLOP affect....when you hit the ground do a balistic push (like a push up) but now let the lower hamstrings take over and pull your body back to that kneeling upright position....pure evil!!!!!