CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 09-30-2010, 09:50 PM   #1
Yolanda Deane

Profile:
implementing the zone diet to clients

Hello,

I am a dedicated athlete and coach. I am very passionate about CrossFit and nutrition. I am a certified trainer and the majority of my athletes are interested in weight loss. My question is: when implementing the zone diet to new athletes, whats the best way to give the nutrition lecture without overwheming folks. I tend to get a little too scientific i.e. *glycogen stores, insulin spikes, ect...*
I just need a better flow while giving the nutrition consultation to my athletes. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. If this helps, I've added my outline of how I implement the zone:

I. Begin with the hiearchy of efforts and concern i.e. nutrition, met con, gymnstics, WL&T, then sport

II. Then I go into the theory of the zone diet (regulate insulin levels via balancing Macro nutrients

III. Calculate athlete's block prescription, teach them how to balance their meals, ask them to give me a sample meal, for example: write down a 4 block breakfast.

IV. Then from there I get a little scatter brained (and in my opinion too technical) glycogen stores, insulin spikes, hyperinsulinema, ect..

Please hand over a little advice if possible on implementing the zone to a client who may just want to loose some weight and may not be interested in all the science.

thanks a bunch.
Old 10-01-2010, 01:13 AM   #2
Aushion Chatman

Profile:
Re: implementing the zone diet to clients

Go over CFJ 21 with them, it lays it out in a simple manner without all the measurements and getting too scientific. Then leave them with the teaser that you can go more in depth with them and dial it in even further if they so choose to take it to the next level....i.e. with more precise measuring + Paleo-like diet, substituting fat blocks for carbs...etc.
Old 10-01-2010, 08:43 AM   #3
Yolanda Deane

Profile:

Thanks a lot. I'm going to do just that.
Old 10-01-2010, 05:44 PM   #4
Tyler Schaeffer

Profile:

What has always made the most sense to me (also happens to be the most simplistic way to explain it) is to simply eat high quality, nutrient-dense foods. The less ingredients on a label, or even better, no label at all, the better the food is.

(although I guess I'm talking paleo here and after looking at your title again you are talking zone, that being said, I feel its prob easier for someone to start paleo, then think about bringing in the more "scientific" zone diet)

Last edited by Tyler Schaeffer : 10-01-2010 at 05:46 PM.
Old 10-01-2010, 06:49 PM   #5
Barrett Reznick

Profile:

I actually print off the CF Journal for the Zone Diet and hand it to clients. I calculate their block for them based off of their LBM and go over what a block is and how they structure their day with food. I don't like to get into the science unless clients start asking more questions. And I make it a manditory thing to read the whole CF Journal before starting the diet.

Changing peoples diet is like changing their religion...only half of the people listen anyway.
Old 10-02-2010, 12:16 PM   #6
Yolanda Deane

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler Schaeffer View Post
What has always made the most sense to me (also happens to be the most simplistic way to explain it) is to simply eat high quality, nutrient-dense foods. The less ingredients on a label, or even better, no label at all, the better the food is.

(although I guess I'm talking paleo here and after looking at your title again you are talking zone, that being said, I feel its prob easier for someone to start paleo, then think about bringing in the more "scientific" zone diet)
Tyler,
I am actually trying Paleo for the first time. I started yesterday. I figured if I want to give the best nutrition counseling as I can, I should begin introducing Paleo to my athletes; as well as trying it myself. We have been practicing the Zone at our box since we've opened, but I believe you are absolutely right, I'll definately take your advice on introducing paleo first.
Old 10-04-2010, 02:01 PM   #7
Keefa Earls

Profile:

With new clients I keep it simple and say " Okay, for diet...No Sugar and No processed foods to start". Giving them the zone journal issue is a great idea...i will start doing that.

I discuss small diet detailing during cool downs as a regular habit. it also ensures folks stay to get the cool down in...or Mobility WOD

I have found that just getting complete committment to the WODS will garner them lots of progress and gains in strengh, power and endurance to start anyways without overwhelming them by completely changing the diet.

once they are more comfortable with CF style and decide they really want to achive the Elite fitness level, then Im thinking of setting up an additional "FREE" Diet and Crossfit and achieving Elite Fitness community seminar. (this would be open to the everyone and a good way to get family and friends coming)...an idea i have been tossing around.