CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 09-16-2010, 10:13 AM   #1
John Swanson

Profile:
Lightbulb Help Me Plan my 1260 Sq ft Gym

We just looked into a space that is 42' x 30'. The ceiling is 14' ft at its lowest and 24 ft at the highest. It come with a mechanical room and bath room. I did a rough blue print and am trying to plan it to fit the most athletes. My question is....

am I better of having a wall mounting squat and pull up system or a stand alone system that isn't wall mounting. Im curious to see how people would move around the stuff or if i'm on the write track.

I plan to buy.
2- Rowers
12- Barbells
1000lbs rogue weights.
Pull Up an squat system that can fit 6 squaters at once.
8- Med Balls (4-12lbs and 4-20lbs)
6- Rogue Multi Size box jumps.
8- Kettlebells
3- Powerblock dumbbells
10- Speed ropes
10- Rings

anything Im missing at the time and am i getting to much of any one item?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf GYMSETUP Sheet1.pdf (14.5 KB, 758 views)

Last edited by John Swanson : 09-16-2010 at 10:17 AM.
Old 09-16-2010, 11:32 AM   #2
Brian Strump

Profile:
Re: Help Me Plan my 1260 Sq ft Gym

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Swanson View Post
We just looked into a space that is 42' x 30'. The ceiling is 14' ft at its lowest and 24 ft at the highest. It come with a mechanical room and bath room. I did a rough blue print and am trying to plan it to fit the most athletes. My question is....

am I better of having a wall mounting squat and pull up system or a stand alone system that isn't wall mounting. Im curious to see how people would move around the stuff or if i'm on the write track.

I plan to buy.
2- Rowers
12- Barbells
1000lbs rogue weights.
Pull Up an squat system that can fit 6 squaters at once.
8- Med Balls (4-12lbs and 4-20lbs)
6- Rogue Multi Size box jumps.
8- Kettlebells
3- Powerblock dumbbells
10- Speed ropes
10- Rings

anything Im missing at the time and am i getting to much of any one item?

Take a look at our website, Crossfitsteelecreek.com(wfs), check out our pics of the pull up system. We built that since we were currently in 1600sf space, until expanding to a total of 4100sf.
I would suggest building it into the wall, but get it done right the first time, alot of affiliates go cheap, and end up spending more in the long run. You can see where we also hang our rings from, and we also use the large blue wood for 10ft wallball shots as a challenge vs. against the wall.

If you are starting new with under 0-15 members, I wouldn't get that many barbells, maybe half that, 8 tops, and spend the $ elsewhere. If you order 12 bars, and only 1000lbs of bumbers, if you have a class of 10 you will not have nearly enough weight for most WOD's. Be sure to get lighter training bars(either 15, 25, or 30lbs for women). Spend some of that extra $ on a few more KB's, and ditto for the KB's. Be sure to get 8 and 12KG to teach with or others to use for WOD's.

Ditch the dumbells for now.

Only get 20 and 24in boxes. You can get plastic irrigation boxes at Home Depot for less that $15ea, they are about 12in, and you can stack a few to increase the height, and still jump on safely. Don't waste your $ on smaller wooden boxes.
Old 09-16-2010, 07:17 PM   #3
Charles E Olson Jr

Profile:

Check out this....
http://www.nickivioletti.com/2009/02/13-essentials/
Nicki's has a ton of good info on her site.

Brain, keep up the good work!

Last edited by Charles E Olson Jr : 09-16-2010 at 07:30 PM. Reason: I suck at spelling!
Old 09-16-2010, 08:21 PM   #4
John Swanson

Profile:

I have tried to get on her site but won't pull up at the moment. Today I was driving around town and saw even a better spot. This place is right next to the City Ice Arena, and is right next door to the Hockey Sports Bar. I feel as this would be a great spot because when moms drop there kids off for their hour long practice they could get their workout in. Also tons of families got to this sports bar during the day and night so they could see our hockey training facility. I know how everyone preaches about location and I feel this would be a dream location. The spot we looked at is cement floors and hasn't had the bathroom installed yet but is all set up for it. Is that something i should request before moving in and how many affiliates have locker spaces for their athletes? Any other must that I should put in our space.
Old 09-16-2010, 10:49 PM   #5
Kris Murphy

Profile:

yeah, dump the powerblocks or try to find some used hex db's on Craigslist. Instead of the boxes consider going to a local tire place and picking up some used tractor tires. They are cheap (or free) and can accommodate 4 people or more at a time for box jumps depending on their diameter. Grab a couple of sizes (measure width for the jump) and then you can use the smaller ones for flipping.
Old 09-17-2010, 07:05 AM   #6
Steve Loeding

Profile:

That new location would be awesome John - go for it. Does it have bathrooms already ? Get a lawyer - to read the contract and make sure it's not all in the owner's favor - make sure you can do what you want inside the gym (paint the walls, screw stuff into the walls, floors, etc). It's good to see you're growing - congrats - I'll have to stop by sometime when I go to a Johnnie game.
Old 09-17-2010, 01:02 PM   #7
John Swanson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Loeding View Post
That new location would be awesome John - go for it. Does it have bathrooms already ? Get a lawyer - to read the contract and make sure it's not all in the owner's favor - make sure you can do what you want inside the gym (paint the walls, screw stuff into the walls, floors, etc). It's good to see you're growing - congrats - I'll have to stop by sometime when I go to a Johnnie game.
The new Sartell location already has a nice bathroom. Its right off the main road "Pinecone" that runs through the city. It is a dream location. It has carpet on the floor but I would cover it all with horse matting 3/4 in. The ceilings are 12ft or higher. The walls are all white but I would put a Red and Black Strip around to incorporate our company colors. I was also thinking of having some decals made up for the walls similar to BIG HEAD Decals that when they peal off won't peal the wall off. From the sounds of it we are aloud to anchor into the floor because the golf store that was in their before had a wall put up. We are very excited, we would take the space over Oct 1st and plan to have the gym running full swing by April 1. We have to wait awhile because I will be leaving for my hockey season in 2 weeks so it has been kind of a rush to find a spot that we can secure for next year.