CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 08-08-2009, 08:13 PM   #1
Dennis Moriconi

Profile:
Defining your goals...

"You need to define your goals if you want to pursue them."

This was a quote that hit me pretty hard in someone's log. I don't know if this is the exact way it was worded, but that was his general message. I got it from Jacob Cloud, I believe.

Anyway, I took this quote to heart. I realized that I was/am CrossFitting just for the fun of it, and don't have much of an overall goal other than getting in better shape and becoming more athletic.

I thought about it, and this is my attempt at defining my goals in order for me to finally be able to pursue them.

Please, offer any feedback/advice, etc that you would like to send my way.

First, a little about me. I am a 20 year old (a little more than a month out from 21!) male, my weight has consistently floated from 180-185 over the past 3 years or so, no matter what I do/eat. I' 5'7/5'8.

My current goals are as follows:
I am currently in training for the Chicago Marathon in October. I have been creating my own Met-Con workouts for the last 2 or 3 weeks, most of them lasting anywhere from 20 minutes to my latest of over an hour and 20 minutes. Needless to say, I have to add an endurance aspect to my training in order to get my marathon PR time down.

I would essentially like to lean out. I am 185 pounds of pretty solid muscle, but I was a fat kid when I was little, and my "baby fat" is stubborn. I know we CFers don't aim for looks, but I would be ecstatic if I could finally get that 6 pack that I know I'm capable of.

After I finish the marathon and finally get the 6 pack, I'd like to put on LEAN muscle mass, which undoubtedly will be lost once I lean out for the abs. I was thinking of going through a cycle of starting strength coupled with gomad?

In the end, I'm hoping to lean out and look good, and then bulk up, but still hold on to that "cut" physique. I'm guessing I'd probably end up around 200 pounds of pure animal. Sound about right?

I'd like to know if these goals can be accomplished despite the other? Or are they very much contradicting each other? If they ARE both possible, does anyone have any suggestions on how about going through with them?

Sorry for the long post, and thanks in advance for any and all information. I know you guys won't let me down!

-Dennis
Old 08-08-2009, 10:03 PM   #2
Renee Lee

Profile:
Re: Defining your goals...

a) You seem to have a lot of goals, and they seem to not be consistent. You want to be bulky and strong, yet you're training for a marathon. You want to lean out, but also gain mass (this isn't impossible, but pretty hard)

b) I don't think that leaning out for looks is really going to be in your best interest while training for a marathon. I'm pretty sure your body could use that fat for something.

c) Although you are a young male, I don't believe you are Rip's intended audience for his GOMAD prescription. Keep in mind that while doing GOMAD, or likely even a half gal/day, will make you pudgy. you'll gain muscle, of course, but you'll get soft while you do it. (i am obviously not a male and have not tried GOMAD, i'm just going by what others have said)

d) What is your training for the marathon looking like? you should take a peek at Shane Skowron's training log (here) sfw. He ran the VT 100 mile last month and has been between 80-90% paleo for a while. I'm sure perusing that couldn't hurt.

e) You will probably lean out with Paleo. You will probably lean out more with Zone, though. Whichever direction you choose to go in, though...make sure you eat enough to support your activity level.

f) more thoughts on goals by Scott Kustes: http://www.fitnessspotlight.com/2009...-making-tired/ (sfw)
Old 08-08-2009, 10:48 PM   #3
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

For endurnace training, I would pop over to crossfitendurance.com (WFS)

I would start Starting strength after your marathon and before you try to cut. You are less likely to stick with the rather ridicuouls amounts of food you have to eat to get the most out of Starting Strength if you've worked hard to get a six pack. Also, it's easier to lose the pudge with the extra muscle you've gain from starting strength and that pudge you still hold will be less noticiable on a larger build.
Old 08-09-2009, 12:34 AM   #4
Shaun Frankson

Profile:

I'm also going on the vanity side of life, and currently working on the 6 pack, but I'm not willing to sacrifice my health or anything, so I'm doing it the healthy way. I've had good results sticking to the Fit 4 You 5. www.fit4you5.com (WSF) This is pretty much a modern day paleo diet, just with 5 easy to follow rules to simplify everything. Kind of paleo plus the supplements needed thanks to our crappy soil and air pollution. If you like food counting I have heard good things about the Zone aswell, I'm just not a math fan.

It's best to load up on healthy dietary fats as your energy source. If your eating high carbs, you'll spike your insulin levels which will prevent you from burning off your existing body fat. You will also be able to eat until your full easier, and always have energy during the lean down process. So make nuts and avocados your new best friend and you'll see a healthy six pack pretty soon.
Old 08-09-2009, 12:37 AM   #5
Shaun Frankson

Profile:

I'm also going on the vanity side of life, and currently working on the 6 pack, but I'm not willing to sacrifice my healthy so I'm doing it the healthy way. I've had good results sticking to the Fit 4 You 5. www.fit4you5.com (WSF) This is pretty much a modern day paleo diet, just with 5 easy to follow rules to simplify everything. Kind of paleo plus the supplements needed thanks to our crappy soil and air pollution. If you like food counting I have heard good things about the Zone aswell, I'm just not a math fan.

It's best to load up on healthy dietary fats as your energy source. If your eating high carbs, you'll spike your insulin levels which will prevent you from burning off your existing body fat. You will also be able to eat until your full easier, and always have energy during the lean down process with dietary fat as your energy source. So make nuts and avocados your new best friend and you'll see a healthy six pack pretty soon.
Old 08-09-2009, 03:48 AM   #6
Jay Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun Frankson View Post

It's best to load up on healthy dietary fats as your energy source. If your eating high carbs, you'll spike your insulin levels which will prevent you from burning off your existing body fat. You will also be able to eat until your full easier, and always have energy during the lean down process with dietary fat as your energy source. So make nuts and avocados your new best friend and you'll see a healthy six pack pretty soon.
1. You're goals are soooooooo a-ss backwards and convoluted. Others will chime in, good luck.

2. You're preaching to the choir, and don't start another debate about CARBS. We really, really, really, really, really know the upside/downside of Carbs, really, really, really, we do......................

Other sites you might want to consider, Bodybuilding.com, Runnersworld.com and 6packsareUS.com.
Old 08-09-2009, 07:44 AM   #7
John C Corona

Profile:

I think Jamie had good advice. I dont know the specifics of SS, but I think CF Football is an awesome blend of Strength Training and Daily WODs. A year of CF mainsite was enough for me to develope an amazing mid section. Become friends with that GHD machine, and plenty of core work (which CF does every day) and you'll look good AND be functionally fit.

Regarding leaning out, it's all diet. Clean it up, go paleo, go zone, go both or neither, just eat clean unprocessed foods. More of it to gain, less of it to loose.

So after the marathon, I'd say do CFFB and eat cleaner, and you'll probably stay 185, but be diesel.
Old 08-09-2009, 09:26 AM   #8
Dennis Moriconi

Profile:

Thank you all for your responses so far...

Renee, I'm going to try my hardest to stick with either the Paleo or the Zone. I'm not sure which will be easier while in school, but I'm going to try my darndest. I guess I made it sound like leaning out for the sake of looking good was my first priority. That was my mistake. I am hoping that through my marathon training, along with my diet, my overall look will be more lean but still keep my muscular build. My natural build has always been husky. I will never/nor never would want to be a skinny guy with no muscular mass for the sake of a 6 pack.
Thank you for that SMART GOALS link. I've actually learned about them before in college. Thanks for reminding me!

Jamie- I'm going to look into CFE. I like the workouts that I've been coming up with on my own, but I'm sure I will run dry with what's available to me, and obviously the CFE guys are much more knowledgeable than I. So do SS AFTER the marathon (like I planned) and THEN cut? Gotcha.

Thank you for your response Shaun. I've never been much of a believer in supplements. I think we can get everything we need from the food we eat. Maybe some fish oil (if I ever get over the smell and taste). I learned all about insulin spikes, etc at the Level One.

John- I think I like Jamie's advice as well. I've seen many of his posts before and truly respect him and the knowledge he has on many different subjects. My diet is absolutely part of the reason why I don't LOOK as good as I FEEL. I am also absolutely fine with staying around 185, I just figured another 15-20 pounds of lean muscle would be a nice little gift to myself.

Jay, I know they're a-ss backwards as well. This is the reason I come to you all for help. What I'm asking is: Is it possible for my 185 frame (probably ~ 12-14% BF) to eventually become a 200 pound monster (with I'm guessing 6-9% BF?) with a nice little 6 pack to boot? And if it is indeed possible, what would be the best way to achieve this?

Thank you all again for your inputs. Please chime in if you've got anything else!
Old 08-09-2009, 06:35 PM   #9
Michael Henry

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun Frankson View Post
If you like food counting I have heard good things about the Zone aswell, I'm just not a math fan.
Hahaha, like addition?!?
Old 08-10-2009, 06:56 AM   #10
Laura Kurth

Profile:

Don't try to lose weight while training for a marathon PR is my advice!

Eat to support your running, get your PR and worry about your weight in the off season.