CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 01-09-2008, 01:08 PM   #1
Chris Barclay

Profile:
Sleep question

Hi all,
I wondered if I am doing the right thing for my current situation. We have just had our second kid and as a result I am suffering from a serious lack of sleep. My question is around the type of training I should be doing. I am managing to find time to do a workout each day but am unsure as to whether I should be trying to do all types of workout, from MetCon to ME given that I am only getting a few hours sleep each night. The angle for my question is more around the response my body will give rather than anything else given the requirement for enough sleep for the body to recover.

Should I be reducing my number of workouts, or the intensity, or dropping ME or MetCon for now until things improve in the bedroom?

Any views welcome..
Thanks
Old 01-09-2008, 01:13 PM   #2
Gant Grimes

Profile:

Re: Sleep question

Congrats, Chris. Keep the workout the same, and get your rest when you can.

When the baby cries, pretend you're asleep so your wife gets up. I...uh, I mean a friend pulled this trick a few times.
Old 01-09-2008, 06:13 PM   #3
Steven Low

Profile:

If you're feeling really, really crappy then cut back some. It's fine to skip a workout here and there if you're run down.
Old 01-10-2008, 05:49 AM   #4
Chris Barclay

Profile:

cheers guys - I reckon I will just carry on and rest when I really don't feel up to it (like today). I just wondered if there would be any types of workout that would essentially be a waste of energy given I am not getting enough rest to recover or grow properly.

thanks
Old 01-10-2008, 06:10 AM   #5
Michael Bruce Mailman

Profile:

Hey Chris congrats on the sprog...

I remember when my boy first came into our lives... ah, the fond memories... sleeping for 2- 3 hours a night... the strange desire to murder someone the next day for saying hi to you...

I reckon, in my very scientific opinion, the best thing you can do is just go hard. How will you ever know if you're getting optimum growth, even if you had a perfect sleep regime? Diet could be out, you may not be working out hard enough, etc.

It's so tempting to forgo workouts at this stage of your life but stick with it, you 've only got about 18 years to go!
Old 01-10-2008, 06:32 AM   #6
Andy Wagner

Profile:

Chris

Congratulations! My first child was the non-sleeper. I would do whatever workouts I could keeping in mind that he would eventually sleep through the night. Simply do what you feel good about doing. If you push too hard with little sleep, you will be susceptible to illnesses. Again Congratulations!
Old 01-10-2008, 06:39 AM   #7
Steve Liberati

Profile:

Also look into the supplement ZMA (zinc and magensium) to improve your quality of your sleep since you are getting so little. It works like a drug (without the sides), at least for me. On little sleep, try to also avoid caffeine as much as possible. Tells your body to fight when it wants to flight when in a sleep deprived state of mind.

Oh yeah....and congrats on the new baby!
Old 01-10-2008, 08:49 AM   #8
Matt DeMinico

Profile:

Congrats. And we've got our 3rd on the way, I'll tell you, rest. I'd likely cut back on my workouts a lot, depending on how much you wake up. I find interrupted sleep is not very conducive to recovery, so I literally cut my workout schedule in half when we just had a new baby.