CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 12-03-2014, 02:45 PM   #11
Sal Villani

Profile:
Re: Recovery help

I just turned 44 and I train harder than I ever have (thanks to CF). I, too, have the mind of a 20 yo, but the body age of a 44 yo, and I'm told I look like I'm about 37 yo.

I train 5 days per week - 3 on, 1 off, 2 on, 1 off.

I'm finding I am more tired and sore lately. I stretch my legs, hips and back 2-3x per day (not overdoing it) because I had a hip replacement (7 years ago) and need to keep my glutes, flexors and QL from tightening up. This is to correct years of neglect due to lack of proper knowledge. Sucks! I warm up and cool down. I drink plenty of water and try to eat well (there are cheat days).

I also don't get enough sleep a few days during the week (6-7 hours, 8 on the weekends). Experts say as men get older, they require more sleep.

Basically, getting older is hard on the body, but harder on the mind.
Old 12-03-2014, 10:00 PM   #12
Joe Spinelli

Profile:

I'm 43 next week and I was dealing with this a while back. For me, the difference was an extra protein shake before bed. I don't pretend to know what the reason would be that this would help, but it does for me.

About a year ago I ran out of protein powder. I wasn't trying to lose weight and was in a "maintenance" mode with my training, so I decided to save some money and quit taking the protein. BIG MISTAKE!!!! I have never in my life been so sore and miserable. I considered quitting altogether. I asked my coach and she said "what kind of protein are you taking" and a light went off. Since then I have been feeling great and I train 5 days straight with my third day usually a recovery/light day and weekends off.

Good luck.
Old 12-04-2014, 07:14 AM   #13
Maurice Mayfield Jr

Profile:

Thanks guy for all the great feed back awesome I'll update in a few week after I try a few things Thanks!!
Old 12-04-2014, 02:47 PM   #14
Sal Villani

Profile:

One other thing. I researched and started to take BCAAs. From my reading, BCAAs can help greatly in recovery. I typically take 5-10 grams during and post workout. I am going to also try 5g either (i) if and when I get up to use the bathroom in the night or (ii) as soon as I wake.
Old 12-04-2014, 05:03 PM   #15
Scott Simmonds

Profile:

Nice quick read on recovery...

http://www.tabatatimes.com/commit-wo...come-soreness/ WFS
Old 12-05-2014, 12:49 AM   #16
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Yeah, at 6 hours a night you probably need to get more sleep. Get a nap if you can. Try to make up for that sleep loss at some point.

5-10g of BCAA's is what you would get in 50-60 grams of whey protein and probably something pretty similar in meat protein, possibly even rice and pea protein.

More food will help recovery typically as can carbs. Sleep is probably more of an issue though.
Old 01-14-2015, 09:09 AM   #17
Maurice Mayfield Jr

Profile:

Update - Well I have added 1 more day off rest pre week which is awesome! As well adding more sleep and more mobility So far so good.