CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 08-06-2013, 07:46 AM   #1
Ronny Friebel

Profile:
HRV tracking

Hi folks,

I've searched for it but no sufficient results.

Who monitors HRV regularly in order to check recovery and uses bioforce or emwave2?

About 10 years ago I participated an own zone cert from polar and heard a bit about HRV but thought this kinda went into cientific nirvana but apparently it is still alive and some say it is a great indicator on stress levels.

I appreciate any sharing of experience.

Cheers
Old 08-06-2013, 08:18 PM   #2
Chris Mason

Profile:
Re: HRV tracking

Never heard of it. Sounds like typical pseudo-science to me.
Old 08-07-2013, 02:58 AM   #3
Steven Wingo

Profile:

I used to train with a heart rate monitor as a runner and cyclist (power meter as well for cycling), but don't have experience with heart rate variability monitors. I think it is a technology which probably has some benefit. However, heart rate can vary for lots of reasons. I worry the whole issue is too complex to glean much useful info for most people. It probably is heavily "cardio focused" so may not tell you much in terms of when a rest day is needed for your muscles from strength training.

I used to love that technology stuff with running and cycling. But frankly, the whole KISS approach works well--Keep It Simple Stupid. The bottom line is that your workout results are going to depend primarily upon your nutrition and your intensity while working out. Technology is neat, but even used really well--which is hard--you are probably talking a very, very marginal benefit.

Just get in the gym and work your *** off. Take a rest day every 4th day. If you ever just feel totally wiped out, listen to your body and maybe throw in an extra off day or make your workout a skill and mobility day. It really is that simple.
Old 08-07-2013, 05:46 AM   #4
Michael C Reynolds

Profile:

HRV is not just pseudo-science. It was originally invented by soviet sports scientists that Westside bases their methods off of. You may know it as the Omega Wave.

You can read more about it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heart_rate_variability (WFS)

and also here:

http://peakathleticdevelopment.blogs...mpathetic.html
(WFS)
Old 08-07-2013, 09:10 AM   #5
Donald Lee

Profile:

I've used BioForce HRV for about a year. It's definitely useful, especially for people who like tracking every little thing. I recommend reading the BioForce HRV booklet.
Old 08-18-2013, 05:17 PM   #6
Brent Amey

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald Lee View Post
I've used BioForce HRV for about a year. It's definitely useful, especially for people who like tracking every little thing. I recommend reading the BioForce HRV booklet.
James "OPT" Fitzgerald recommends using BioForce HRV for his athletes that he coaches. I was really hoping a few people from this forum had tried it before and could share their thoughts. I use my heart rate monitor a lot for my running and find it invaluable. From what I've read it appears BioForce is used more as a tool to make sure you are resting when you need rest and pushing it when your body is able. There really isn't too much information online about it from what I can find.
Old 08-18-2013, 05:52 PM   #7
Zach Long

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronny Friebel View Post
Hi folks,

I've searched for it but no sufficient results.

Who monitors HRV regularly in order to check recovery and uses bioforce or emwave2?

About 10 years ago I participated an own zone cert from polar and heard a bit about HRV but thought this kinda went into cientific nirvana but apparently it is still alive and some say it is a great indicator on stress levels.

I appreciate any sharing of experience.

Cheers
Several years back I was involved in some research regarding HRV and heart rate coherence (similar but slightly different) in breast cancer patients and started to branch a little into the world of HRV in athletics. I know some professionals are starting to use it and there has been some published studies on using it as a way to track training progress. Unfortunately, it's been several years and I've forgotten much of what I knew.

I personally believe you would be just as good off listening to your body. Take days off as you see fit or even plan deload weeks every 6-8 weeks.
Old 08-20-2013, 04:13 AM   #8
Ronny Friebel

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Amey View Post
James "OPT" Fitzgerald recommends using BioForce HRV for his athletes that he coaches. I was really hoping a few people from this forum had tried it before and could share their thoughts. I use my heart rate monitor a lot for my running and find it invaluable. From what I've read it appears BioForce is used more as a tool to make sure you are resting when you need rest and pushing it when your body is able. There really isn't too much information online about it from what I can find.
I have the same source and I'm gonna give it a shot with the ithlete app and a HR sensor. This is a cheap entry and I can see how it works.
Old 10-14-2013, 01:26 AM   #9
Peter Huttunen

Profile:

Hi Guys!

Great to see so much interest in HRV!

If anybody has any questions in regards to Omegawave and HRV, I'd be happy to ask our scientists for in-depth answers.

Best wishes,

The Omegawave Team
Old 10-19-2013, 02:04 PM   #10
Are-Harald Brenne

Profile:

I just started using Bioforce one week ago. My experiences so far is that it is not straight-forward to get good measurements, since factors that should not affect training can affect HRV.

Several heart monitors comes with HRV features, particularly Polar HRMs. Those might be good enough for many.

Omegawave, especially the version they plan on releasing next year when they make the pro features available for individuals, seems superior to all other HRV products, since it takes many more measurements than just R-R interval variability. That might end up being a very powerful coaching device.