CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 03-25-2013, 07:50 AM   #1
Jim Reaume

Profile:
Chalk Allergy

Has anyone experienced this? I have a client who seems to be allergic to chalk. She has been to the allergist and as usual, they told her to avoid it. She loves CrossFit and REFUSES to avoid it. I try like heck to keep the dust down, but that's impossible. My other clients clean up out of respect for her and it does not help.

I'm concerned for her because her face swells and gets hives and she has to go to work like that. UGH. Any subs for chalk I can try? Any ideas at all?

Thanks.
Old 03-25-2013, 08:01 AM   #2
Sara Ochsner

Profile:
Re: Chalk Allergy

I use chalk balls at home and they tend to make less of a mess.
Old 03-25-2013, 08:09 AM   #3
Jeff Enge

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Reaume View Post
Has anyone experienced this? I have a client who seems to be allergic to chalk. She has been to the allergist and as usual, they told her to avoid it. She loves CrossFit and REFUSES to avoid it. I try like heck to keep the dust down, but that's impossible. My other clients clean up out of respect for her and it does not help.

I'm concerned for her because her face swells and gets hives and she has to go to work like that. UGH. Any subs for chalk I can try? Any ideas at all?

Thanks.
Rosin bags! Like baseball pitchers use.
Old 03-25-2013, 01:52 PM   #4
Tristan Hoyle

Profile:

At our box we have no powdered chalk. Instead we use liquid grip. It's a chalk-resin combo that comes in a bottle. You just rub it on your hands and it dries on and functions as chalk. No Rechalking and no dust. It comes off pretty easy too.

Here's a link: http://liquidgrip.com/ (WFS)
Old 03-26-2013, 08:18 AM   #5
Christopher Morris

Profile:

Tristan -
Thanks for the tip. I've never heard of Liquid Grip before. I just ordered a little bottle and am excited to try it out.

Jim -
Having your client take a histamine blocker may help (wfs). Benadryl is the most common, though it does cause drowsiness. You'd want her to find a dose that's enough to limit swelling and hives, but not so much that she's a risk driving to work, or non-productive at work. If she wants to try that, start with half a tablet (about 12mg of Benadryl), then maybe go up to 25mg if that's not working. To get a half dose, a capsule can be opened and half the medicine poured out, or a tablet can be crushed between two spoons, and half the powder taken. If she takes that 30 minutes before working out, it should help.
Old 03-26-2013, 08:35 AM   #6
Christopher Morris

Profile:

And a disclaimer - if she insists on being exposed to something she's allergic too, you've got to inform her that this can make allergies worse. She's may be training her immune system to have a stronger response. One day this response may be life threatening. Taking Benadryl doesn't avoid the risk of this increasing allergic response. This increasing risk may or may not happen, but she needs to know about it.
Old 03-26-2013, 08:54 AM   #7
Tristan Hoyle

Profile:

It's a pretty great product. Just make sure to give it 5-7 minutes before the WOD to dry. It sucks in the middle if you didn't let it dry enough and starts to come off. If you let it dry enough though, I was able to perform all of Murph and finish with it still gripping as well as it did at the start.
Old 03-13-2014, 05:39 AM   #8
Dare Vodusek

Profile:

Christopher, isnt niacin (vit B3) also considered a histamine blocker and also very safe to use?
Old 03-13-2014, 05:53 AM   #9
Christopher Morris

Profile:

Just "Chris" is good, thanks.

I have never heard of niacin as a histamine blocker, so a Google search of "niacin histamine blocker" helped me find this abstract (wfs). It states that niacin INCREASES histamine levels, so no, it is not a histamine blocker.

Also, I've been using the liquid grip, and it's great. If I use a thin coating, it dries in less than a minute. It doesn't leave any marks on the rubber mats when doing push-ups or burpees. It doesn't leave any residue on bars.

The only drawback is that it has to dry. Once I put on too thick a layer, and it didn't dry for five minutes, which is a long time when you're ready to workout. If it's not dry it sticks to anything you touch.
Old 03-13-2014, 06:35 AM   #10
Dare Vodusek

Profile:

Interesting, as Ive read people are using b3 to fight their histamine levels which are increased due to allergy. But they are taking up to 1gram of it. Ill look into it and report back.

About the liquid chalk, how hard is it to wash it off later, compare to just chalk?