CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 10-08-2008, 06:00 PM   #1
Mac Oneill

Profile:
Taking Supplements?

What is the consensus on taking supplements along with crossfit? For instance NO supplements like MRI's Black Powder, Gaspari's SuperPump250, or the more common NO EXPLODE. I used to enjoy taking supplements when I was doing muscle isolation workouts before I started crossfit, but now I dont know if its going to be having the same effect or just wasting my money. I'm taking Black Powder right now before I do the WOD's but I cant tell what kind of effect its having considering the workouts kick my *** whether I take it or not...lol...Any thoughts?
Old 10-08-2008, 06:32 PM   #2
Liam Dougherty Springer

Profile:
Re: Taking Supplements?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac Oneill View Post
What is the consensus on taking supplements along with crossfit? For instance NO supplements like MRI's Black Powder, Gaspari's SuperPump250, or the more common NO EXPLODE. I used to enjoy taking supplements when I was doing muscle isolation workouts before I started crossfit, but now I dont know if its going to be having the same effect or just wasting my money. I'm taking Black Powder right now before I do the WOD's but I cant tell what kind of effect its having considering the workouts kick my *** whether I take it or not...lol...Any thoughts?
Most of those supplemets are only going to have a marginal positive effect on strength days like 5x5 or 3x7 lifts. On those days I dont think it would hurt and may help. On the other WODs whether metcon or endurence they will do nothing outside of the caffiene and the bennefits of caffiene intake before a metcon like the 21-15-9ers are highly debatable.

In short crossfit will naturaly put your body in a position for increased fitness and function along all energy pathways much more efficiantly than any supplement and no supplement will do much or anything to improve its effectiveness.... Well I can think of a couple that would help but thats another thread and I wouldn't want to post on it anyway.
Old 10-09-2008, 08:10 AM   #3
Jamie Crichton

Profile:

There's supplements out there that will improve your performance but Nitric Oxide-based things aren't one of them! Read around and you'll find that they don't really do what they say they do, ie cause vasodilation. Even if they did work, why would you want that? It's great for bodybuilders to persuade themselves they're working out or get off on 'the pump' or whatever, but if you're interested in training and performance improvement I would have thought it unnecessary if not undesirable to have muscles feeling tight and swollen from all that blood. The forearm pump from Fran or similar doesn't exactly help!

If you wish to supplement a good diet and hard training regime, check out Fish Oils, Creatine, Vitamin/Mineral supplements (these can depend on your particular deficiencies; go see an expert) or Glucosamine/Chondroitin. Fish oils and Creatine in particular are well supported by the literature - always read the studies though, don't take my word for it. Knowledge is power.
Old 10-09-2008, 08:12 AM   #4
John B. Walsh

Profile:

As a recovering supplement user (I've been "clean" for 13 months), my advice would be to avoid the "NO Xplodes" of the world. Those first few workouts without them will feel awful, but in the long run a solid nutrition plan and adequate recovery will be far more beneficial.

And here's a little added motivation from NO-Xplode's Label:
Before using product, seek advice from a health care practitioner if you are unaware of your current health condition or have any pre-existing medical condition including but not limited to: high or low blood pressure, cardiac arrhythmia, stroke, heart, liver or thyroid disease, anxiety, depression, seizure disorder, psychiatric disease, diabetes, pernicious anemia, difficulty urinating due to prostate enlargement or if you are taking an MAO inhibitor or any other medication. Do not use if you are pregnant, nursing, prone to dehydration or exposed to excessive heat. Reduce or discontinue use if sleeplessness, tremors, dizziness, nervousness, headaches, or heart palpitations occur
Old 10-09-2008, 09:35 AM   #5
Jason David

Profile:

I know I'm going to die before I'm 40 because of this (The Aspartame) but I am a huge fan of Diet Pepsi Max. Down 1 about 30 mins pre-workout and I'm ready to go...I have a few more throughout the day as well.

I also take fish oil, vitamin and Glocosamine/Chondroiten.
Old 10-09-2008, 11:52 AM   #6
Henry Miller

Profile:

Your regular diet should give your body everything it needs. It it doesn't fix your diet. That isn't to say suppliments are useless. Fish oil is common because modern foods don't provide enough omega-3 (but even then it would be better to eat fish - if you can get it). Some people's bodies don't absorbe some vitamin correctly so their doctor will perscribe more of something (often they need shots not pills).
Old 10-09-2008, 11:58 AM   #7
Andres Gordo

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac Oneill View Post
All those supplements and all of NO supplements have 1 thing in common. L-arginine, You can use it by it self. Cheaper than buying NO Explode, etc.