CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 03-04-2004, 12:06 PM   #1
Parth Shah

Profile:
aight, I started going to the weight room. I was wondering, how can I do the crossfit workouts without looking like an idiot?
Old 03-04-2004, 01:02 PM   #2
Roger Harrell

Profile:
Go for it. You won't look like an idiot. You will look like you are doing something different than everyone else. When you start to show the gains people will start asking you about the training. Let em think whatever they want.
Old 03-05-2004, 02:57 AM   #3
Graham Hayes

Profile:
When you see grown men trying to fly with 5lb chrome dumbells you will never feel silly again!
Old 03-05-2004, 09:45 AM   #4
Alexander Karatis

Profile:
Parth, a comercial gym's weight room is usually so full of idiots that I doubt you would make a difference! :wink:

The truth is, if you're new to some of the movements you might look like an idiot. The trick is not caring. Once you get this down, you'll see who feels like the idiot. When 200lbs guys sitting in the leg extension machine, turn around to look at "the little guy" snatching that barbell, I tell you, it's them that feel stupid.

Plus, anyone who stand for 20mins doing preacher curls and touching his biceps to see for himself just how much he pumped, isn't qualified to judge an idiot!:biggrin:
Old 03-05-2004, 11:31 AM   #5
Larry Cook

Profile:
Parth,

If you can, go beyond "not caring" and try to actually take some delight in the attention and strange looks. It is a great way to stay motivated throughout the WODs!
Old 03-05-2004, 11:37 AM   #6
Justin Arnest

Profile:
Just wait till you bust out some hspu's with your feet on those mirrors. Or when you do the one arm snatches and dbell swings, that is when the strange looks really start. Truth be told, probabaly half the people who see you will want to try it but won't have the courage...
Old 03-05-2004, 12:12 PM   #7
Brad Hirakawa

Profile:
Last time, I brought my rings.. and starting repping muscle-ups.
Old 03-06-2004, 06:02 AM   #8
Parth Shah

Profile:
thanks guys......oh yeah I used crossfit for a project at shool. I'll tell you guys about it on another post.
Old 03-06-2004, 07:14 AM   #9
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Parth, got the parents to spring for a gym membership, good job. Did you get them to pay for the CFJ? If not, keep working on it.
Old 03-06-2004, 07:47 AM   #10
Jason Lauer

Profile:
I'll second the taking pleasure in getting the weird looks. I find now that I actually feel more sorry for people than anything. I appreciate the fact that they come in to work out and are actually doing something, which is better than nothing.

I just want to go help everyone. So many people don't even have the right form for the bodybuilding exercises they are trying to do (actually probably makes them more functional). Another quick thought that kinda upsets me is that on the rare occasion I do see someone squat it isn't close to legal and is actually probably a poor example of a half squat. Just blowing off some steam.