CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 10-12-2004, 08:37 AM   #1
Neill S. Occhiogrosso

Profile:
Row 500m
50 sit-ups; 50 back extensions; 15 overhead squats
Row 500m
Row 500m
Row 500m

Old 10-12-2004, 10:12 AM   #2
Barry Cooper

Profile:
What's wrong with today's WOD? I don't see any reason everybody shouldn't do the workouts that make sense to them, but when we get good workouts every day from someone who specializes in putting workouts together--and who created CrossFit in the first place--why reinvent the wheel?

As I see it, the posted WOD is our shared ritual upon which the community is based.
Old 10-12-2004, 11:20 AM   #3
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Barry is right on. I've said this many times before. You have a world class coach writing the program, based on his many years of experience with world class athletes, research, and feedback from thousands of people; why mess with that? When we develop our own WOD we have a tendancy to do things we do well. This last week has been hard for me because I hate sprinting, but I do it because it's part of the WOD.
Old 10-12-2004, 12:49 PM   #4
Ron Nelson

Profile:
Good comments Barry and Larry.
I would just add that there is always a portion of each multi-round WOD (like the ones since Sat.'s rest day) that is an "equalizer." The one part of the routine that brings everyone to the same level, where we feel equal to the task. For some, it's the running. Others, rowing or heavy lifts. For me, it's anything that asks me to squat for reps, quickly. When I get there, I know I'm no better, perhaps way worse, than my fellow CF'ers!!
So, coming up with routine of your own in the CF vein is good, since you are thinking in the right direction, what Barry and Larry have said is right; the WOD as written is tough enough and keeps us tight like a big, dysfunctional, fitness-obsessed, sweat soaked, stared-at, family.
Just my 2 cent ramble.
Old 10-12-2004, 01:41 PM   #5
Paul Theodorescu

Profile:
I've found the WOD of the day a blessing. I was always 're-inventing the wheel' and getting discouraged in the past. Now I wake up and just do the WOD (if I can!).
Old 10-12-2004, 05:29 PM   #6
David Wood

Profile:

For all of that (and I'm in there with the previous posters), I like making up my own workouts, too. Some days I just like doing "card PT", especially if I've missed some WODs and don't need/want the specialization called for in the particular WOD of that day.

Neil, the workout you propose is fine.

It has a fairly signficant metabolic element (if you go at the rows hard), with lots of additional torso work (in fact, the whole workout is pretty much focused on the legs and torso . . . arms aren't used all that much).

For me, it would stress my lower back something fierce, but that's not bad . . . just something I would have to watch and pay attention to.

This workout (as proposed) would have a reasonable place in an overall training program . . . not something to do day in and day out, but fine when you want the emphasis it provides.

If you feel the desire to do it, go for it ... The only problem is that even if you post your results (which is fine if you do), you'll miss the opportunity for "connection" with everyone else suffering away at the common WOD.

Respectfully,
Dave
Old 10-13-2004, 12:42 PM   #7
Neill S. Occhiogrosso

Profile:
Dave:

Awesome feedback, and exactly what I needed. I didn't want the emphasis that the posted WOD offered, mostly because of some nagging pains. I was shooting for the focus that you identified. Many thanks,

-Neill
Old 10-13-2004, 08:13 PM   #8
Matt Hilliard

Profile:
I dont feel that there is anyting "wrong" with the WOD, However sometimes it must be modified.....for those of us who aren't as strong or as fast or as qualified to do these to the core....I did a workout today with a fellow crossfitter and it was supposed to be a rest day....I found out what a weenie I am :proud: but we have been planning it and we had to implement it....I was glad I did.......I know I make up my own workouts a lot, but it is not b/c I think the WOD is wrong or bad.....it is b/c I dont have the facilities all the time to go spend an hour and a half working out....i have 20 minutes sometimes......so I modify......I hate the pain of Crossfit.......but when I am finished I am addicted and I love it
Old 10-14-2004, 11:03 AM   #9
Keith Wittenstein

Profile:
I agree that you shouldn't have to reinvent the wheel. However, I find that somedays the WOD is not going to happen because of lack of equipment or injury or maybe I just can't get to the computer to download it. Whatever the reason, I usually approach it in this order:

1. Do the WOD as written
2. Do a modified version of WOD (less weight, sub a similar exercise, etc.)
3. Do WOD (as is or modified) at a lower intensity
4. Do a WOD from a different day or a benchmark workout or some other crazy thing I read in the CFJ.

I think #4 is one that not enough people take advantage of (judging by the proliferation of the "what do you think of this workout" threads). I often browse the archives and find a ton of great/horrifying WODs. I have also committed Angie, Barbara, Chelsea and Tabata This! to memory in case I have the energy but no equipment.

Sure we are all creative people and can design torture/workout plans that are just as great/horrifying as the WODs, but why put our energies there? Save it for the WOD.

In fact, I find it as challenging if not more challenging to come up with substitutions for the things I can't do. That IMHO is a more useful skill as it helps you adapt the workouts to your own personal limitations of space, equipment and strength/injury. Being able to come up with safe yet effective substitutions will help you help other people get into crossfit as you can show them that it is not always a near-death experience and can be effective with poorer/older/weaker populations. It is also an effective skill to utilize when you are at a gym and cannot guaranty access to all the equipment you want and need at that moment.

I think the goal of crossfit is to promote overall fitness. I think people should remember that if they are practicing another sport, that they should save some energy for that sport and dedicate some training time to that. So if you have to skip a WOD don't lament, just put that energy into your other sport or put that energy into just working on skills and techniques.

Finally, relax a little more. Enjoy your time. Go play.

That's my $0.02 on this issue.
Old 10-14-2004, 11:50 AM   #10
Ron Nelson

Profile:
Keith,
Nice post, well said.
I would just add going to Lynne's FAQ page and look up some of the routines, including Fight Gone Bad (personal favorite). I sometimes use these on rest days when I've already rested too much.
I think what most are saying here is that trying to come up with your own WOD can be difficult and tend to over emphasize one area over the total fitness concept. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's why I do what you do; look up past workouts and do them.