CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 01-06-2009, 07:05 PM   #1
Skylar Cook

Profile:
Building a Platform on a Slope

Background: I've got a lot of funding from my school to get CF going here. We've ordered all of the equipment, so the next thing we need is another platform. Easy enough, I thought, just lay down some plywood and some stall mats and we'll be good to go.

Only problem is, the only space we have for a platform is outside, and the area is sloped to help with drainage (not that we get much rain in SoCal). What I'm thinking is to mimic the platform found at http://www.board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=41071 and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rvPYabrD_A (both wfs), except extend the 2x4 "spacers" the entire length of the platform, and cut them to compensate for the gradient. Then I got to wondering whether or not they'd be strong enough at the thin ends. I suppose I could use thicker lumber, but that would get really expensive very quickly. The only other thought I had was to mark off the area with 2x4s and just pour some concrete (with the necessary rebar and other reinforcements). But that would take forever to set properly, and I really doubt if the administration would be cool with it.

Any thoughts or comments greatly appreciated!
Old 01-09-2009, 03:17 PM   #2
Jose M. Perez

Profile:
Re: Building a Platform on a Slope

If the incline is shallow enough, you could give yourself an inch or more at the thin end. The thickness won't make much of a difference if you have plywood under the 2x4s because the force will go through the 2x4s to the plywood to whatever is the plywood is on. When you scribe the 2x4s, just make sure that you have a sufficient thickness at the thin end.

Make sure to anchor the lower end of the platform so that it does not slide down the incline. If it's on concrete, you can get a masonry bit and bolt some 2x4 blocks down. If it's dirt, you could drive some rebar through a railroad tie, but I'm not sure how long that will last.