CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 02-06-2014, 07:42 AM   #1
Jordan Derksen

Profile:
Pendlay HD prices

I've been borrowing a buddies rogue barbell for years and he finally decided he wanted it back. So I'm looking to get my own and pretty much every thread I've seen talks about how good the Pendlay HD is so I'm going to get that one.

Just wondering if anyone has any MDCanada coupons or discount codes or if there's a cheaper place I can get one with shipping to Canada.

Thanks.
Old 02-06-2014, 09:18 AM   #2
Brent Latimer

Profile:
Re: Pendlay HD prices

If you liked the rogue bar I highly recommend the Ohio bar.

Our gym has all Rogue bars. I bought my own Ohio bar late last year. The difference in build quality is large. The ohio bar does not make any noise when dropped, the spin is better and the knurl is better.

I have lifted with the Pendlay bars (not the latest 2013 ones though) and they are excellent however the Ohio bar was cheaper when combined with my R3, bench, bumper package.
Old 02-06-2014, 09:32 AM   #3
Jeff Enge

Profile:

Might try Fringe Sport? They are usually cheap for shipping (free in the US), but I'm not sure how that would translate to Canada.

Love my HD bar. Hands down the best bar I've ever used, including the couple of old Eleikos at my gym.
Old 02-06-2014, 11:32 AM   #4
Jason A Smith

Profile:

Had a Rogue bar, bought a Pendlay (bearing bar) and sold my Rogue. Hands down better if you ask me.

WE have Rogue bars at the gym I go to and I do not like them as much as I like the Pendlay bars.

You just missed out on the 20% off sale too. I would order from MDUSA if you can, free shipping
Old 02-06-2014, 12:10 PM   #5
Steven Thunander

Profile:

If you are looking for more of a mixed-use bar, and a bar that is a WOD bar as well, go with the Rogue Ohio Bar (or the Chan bar if you need the center knurl). If you are going to be doing mostly Oly lifting and an occasional WOD bar, go with the Pendlay HD (or NB if you can afford it).

You can get the Ohio Bar with bumpers as well and save money on shipping. I recommend the Alpha set if you can afford it.
Old 02-06-2014, 03:14 PM   #6
Jordan Derksen

Profile:

I already have an elite set of rogue bumpers. Just looking for a bar because my buddy is taking it back.

I'm deep into Olympic lifting right now so no wods for me. I've heard that the Pendlay HD is much better than the ohio bar from a few people. Jason, does the mdusa free shipping apply to Canada though? Blast just missing out on the sale...
Old 02-06-2014, 08:59 PM   #7
Marshall Flagg

Profile:

Grab a pendlay bearing bar to chuck those sexy plates on. Do it. You know you want to.
Old 02-06-2014, 09:08 PM   #8
Jason A Smith

Profile:

Jordan,

If you set your credit card up with the billing address to Pembina Parcel you can then order from the american site and get free shipping to there. That is what I did when I ordered my bearing bar.

FWIW, it was very much so worth the extra. You will notice the difference on spin at the weights you lift with. If you are out this way ever you can stop by and try it yourself.

I say worth the extra couple hundred if you have it. The HD is nice as well
Old 02-06-2014, 11:05 PM   #9
Mike Hollister

Profile:

I lifted on a Pendlay NB bar very recently. I snatched up to 245 with no misses (max is 255) in about 15 minutes. It was the box owners personal bar. Knurl is very aggressive. I would not recommend it for multiple reps but the feel and spin was amazing. Worth the money. I have a DHS training bar which has great spin and whip but much less aggressive knurl. I love it too.

If you focus on Oly, either of those bars would be better and both would be worth the extra money, I'd figure.
Old 02-07-2014, 02:14 AM   #10
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

I typically use a Zhang Kong bar. It's missing some of the chrome but I call it my "mistress." Yes, I probably need to get a gf. In anycase, the spin is great, and the knurl is soft. Similar to what I like in a woman.

We have a few DHS bars which are pretty damn nice as well.

We did get a new MDUSA HD bar 2013 but it's knurl is a bit rougher than the previous years HD and NG bars. The NG needle bearing bar has a gentle knurl similar to the DHS.

That being said, I like the knurl on the previous years HD bars as I will use them if the ZK bar is being used.