CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 05-04-2005, 08:37 PM   #1
Ben Gorman

Profile:  
Hi there,
Just writing my introductory post. I've been lurking for a year or so and finally decided to show myself. I come from a climbing background, but my training has always been sporadic, as I like to play a lot more than I like to work out. But, I'm getting older and I'd like to get more serious about fitness, and crossfit looks like a good system. I'm particularly interested in some of the gymnastic aspects of crossfit - I'd love to learn handstands, muscle-ups, etc. I'm 26 years old, and I've got a lanky build, so weight loss isn't an issue, but I am interested in building strength. Here's my first question (probably the first of many I'll ask): I live in southern (seacoast) NH. Is there a crossfit facility anywhere nearby? Boston, maybe? Secondly, do any of you do crossfit in a regular health club-type gym, and if so, have you been hassled at all by the staff for doing such an unconventional workout in their facility?
Thanks in advance for your replies.
Old 05-05-2005, 09:00 AM   #2
Peter Galloway

Profile:

Ben,

I can't help you out much with your enquiries I'm afraid, except to say that CrossFit workouts don't usually go down that well in the majority of "health clubs"!

If Lincoln Brigham wanders by this thread he might be able to provide the details of a few O-lifting friendly gyms near you - don't think there's a CrossFit affiliate near you though.

Anyway, welcome - you'll find that CrossFit will build strength and fitness like nothing else. Have fun with the gymnastics stuff and good luck!
Old 05-05-2005, 09:52 AM   #3
Ben Gorman

Profile:  
Peter,
Thanks for your reply. I guess "health club" may have been the wrong choice of words - I meant a regular, non-crossfit facility - a place where most people go to work out. There is a gym near me that I think promotes it self as an old-school, tough, "iron-pumping" gym (as opposed to a health club) - I'll have to check that out.
Old 05-05-2005, 10:03 AM   #4
Grady McDonald

Profile:
Neal Thompson is in Boston and trains folks in CF there. He's top shelf. He posts on the WOD sometimes.
Old 05-05-2005, 10:25 AM   #5
Laura Rucker

Profile:
Hi, Ben...There have been....incidents....reported in regular gym/fitness centers by various CrossFit practitioners But for the most part it's limited to stares of terror, ridicule and plain amazement. Some of the lifting exercises (ie letting bars slam onto the floor) are not supported in regular gyms but so far I've done a few of the crazy workouts on my office gym and only got mild statements of concern from the trainers that work there (They didn't want me to fall off the bench I used to reach the pull up bar.)

You'll definitely see muscle added from doing the WOD. I did. :-)
Old 05-05-2005, 12:35 PM   #6
James R. Climer

Profile:
Mostly I've just gotten friendly reminders of those who are Red Cross certified, first-responders, qualified CPR, etc. at gyms I've visited and crossfitted in. Have fun.
Old 05-05-2005, 02:08 PM   #7
Ross Greenberg

Profile:

Unless you're at a real hard core gym, you will probably be told to stop doing olympic lifts or handstand pushups because you'll "hurt yourself." It's happened to me several times. Try to be considerate, though it's mighty hard when you're in the middle of 30 reps clean and jerk and a guy can't keep his mouth shut about how you really should "do that exercise in a slow, controlled manner."
Old 05-05-2005, 07:20 PM   #8
Jeremy Bloniasz

Profile:
Ben, if you can find one of those "old school gyms" that is your best bet. I'm a member at Work Out World in Central MA and I just stopped going. Some of the rules:
No chalk
No dropping weights
No grunting and thats just the ones I can remember from staring at the poster dumbfounded. I'd do my pullups then run 200m through cybex machines, touch the treadmill, and run the 200m back to the pullup bar for my 400m run. I've been putting my home gym together and I can pretty much self sustain here now. You're not that far from where I live(an hour or so) we could probably link up some time for a WOD or climbing. Oh yeah, and 26 isn't that old.

-Jeremy
Old 05-06-2005, 12:45 PM   #9
Ben Gorman

Profile:  
Thank you, everyone, for your replies. I will be looking for an O-lift-friendly gym, and also keeping my eyes open for used equipment, so maybe I can set something up in my basement.
Jeremy - great, maybe we can get some New England crossfit folks together at some point in the future. You're a climber? Where do you go? I used to frequent cathedral, cannon, and whitehorse ledges in NH, but I haven't been doing much climbing (other than bouldering) for a while. I'm hoping to get back into it soon.
Old 05-06-2005, 02:24 PM   #10
Jeremy Bloniasz

Profile:
Ben, all my climbing is with the military. Everytime I make plans to get into it seriously I get deployed. I'm going to try and get into it seriously this year. I probably just jinxed myself. The white mountains are nice I hear. Later

-Jeremy