CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 01-12-2012, 10:03 PM   #1
Alexander Jon Smith

Profile:
Is surgery necessary?

I'm relatively new to crossfit, only been doing it for about 4 months now, and I was wondering how harmful it is on your knees. I have had a torn ACL for 8 years now and so far it has never affected my performance. I played two years of lacrosse, and three years of football with hardly any problems ever occuring with it, it never even really got sore. I've been lifting for a long time and that too has never bothered my knee's, but when my doctor found out I was crossfitting he almost blew a gasket and said I should have surgery and not be putting my knee's through that. To me it seems he just wants the money and my knee's have never bothered me, so what do you guys think? I dont see the need for surgery and I am willing to bet my knees are 10X stronger now than they were even fully healthy.
Old 01-13-2012, 05:12 AM   #2
Brian Strump

Profile:
Re: Is surgery necessary?

If I had to pick a joint that's 20x more likely to get injured doing CrossFit it's the shoulder.

I find that alot of our members, when programmed, and performed correctly will find less knee problems with CrossFit than before. Squats, DL, KBS, other core stabilization movements will do more harm than good.

He may be the same doc that says squating is bad for you knees, in which case, I'd find a new one.
Old 01-13-2012, 06:37 AM   #3
Steven Low

Profile:

Yes, exercise with correct technique will generally strengthen the knees even more rather than harm them.
Old 01-13-2012, 04:41 PM   #4
Aaron Gainer

Profile:

Hinge joints(elbow and knee) need full range of motion. Unless your in a state of rehabilitation, you should be exercising in your own full range of motion based on your limb length, and current static and dynamic flexibility.
Old 01-15-2012, 12:05 PM   #5
Michael Ko

Profile:

how old are you? if you are pretty young, you should have an ACL reconstruction because your chances of getting serious knee arthiritis would be much higher.

regardless, you dont have to have an ACL as long as your hamstrings are strong enough and your knee is not randomly giving out.

my personal opinion is that cutting and twisting motions are worse for an ACL deficient knee than crossfit. any opinions?
Old 01-20-2012, 06:56 AM   #6
Sean Rockett

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Jon Smith View Post
I'm relatively new to crossfit, only been doing it for about 4 months now, and I was wondering how harmful it is on your knees. I have had a torn ACL for 8 years now and so far it has never affected my performance. I played two years of lacrosse, and three years of football with hardly any problems ever occuring with it, it never even really got sore. I've been lifting for a long time and that too has never bothered my knee's, but when my doctor found out I was crossfitting he almost blew a gasket and said I should have surgery and not be putting my knee's through that. To me it seems he just wants the money and my knee's have never bothered me, so what do you guys think? I dont see the need for surgery and I am willing to bet my knees are 10X stronger now than they were even fully healthy.
Hi I an an orthopedic surgeon in Boston area. Strict indications for ACL surgery are giving way or buckling with walking or sports. Also if there is a meniscal tear chances of that healing are higher with ACL surgery. If you can exercise without feeling giving way and you are not doing twisting pivoting sports, basketball, soccer, football, volleyball and you have been living without one for years, you are probably going to be OK. Sean