CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 09-18-2010, 08:51 AM   #1
Paul Western

Profile:
Could use some info (another FBI PFT thread)

Quick bio: 28 years old ; 6'.05'' 185-190 lb; athletic build/long torso; thin but I still have a chunky belly (Always have and always will i guess) . Have always been active in exercise, mainly in weightlifting. Used to run alot but last 4 years, it's almost only been hitting weights.

I'm training for the FBI PFT, I've done the search and read all the posts but in my specific situation, I am nowhere near as well trained as the other posters who were simply wanting to max their scores.

Could use some info on how to increase my scores, GTG seems to be something that may help, but I'm a bit concerned as I am a cubicle/desk employee at the moment so the only feasible times for exercise are Sat-Sun all day and M-F early morning (5:00-6:00 am) and evening (5:30PM - 9:00 PM)

I started training for this thing about 2 weeks ago, I was jogging/running a few miles a week and also trying to work in some pushups/situps....bottom line I just wanted to see where I am at and now I have a good idea.

In the spirit of the PFT test (5 min wait intervals) I am now doing 30 situps in 1 minute (with perfect form), 56 second 300m Sprint, 30 pushups, and a 12 minute 20 second mile. The 300m run is "slightly" uphill and the 1.5m run is over rolling hilly terrain. I assume on a flat track my time would improve slightly. (I use GOOGLE EARTH to determine the distances w/in landmarks, it seems very accurate)

My running times have improved dramatically in the last few weeks. From a 15 min mile, to a 13 min 46 sec 1.5 mile, to a 13 min 01 sec 1.5 mile, and now 12 min 20 sec. 300 m run was 1 min 6 sec, now 56 sec. I'm basically only hampered by my breathing/gasping for air. My body on a muscular level can go further/faster.

Situps/Pushups are a diff story, I have done anywhere from 38 situps to 30 situps and 30 pushups pretty stagnant although I cranked out 34 not too long ago
----------------------------------------------
Question for crossfitters, since my running/distance has not yet peaked, I think I'm doing OK in this area, but I desperately need to work on the pushup/situp routine. Situps are going to be a problem because..well I think from a physical standpoint (I think stockier/shorter people can crank them out easier because there is less distance to travel), and pushups I can improve with some endurance.

Right now I'm researching 100pushups.com and also GTG for training, should I also be looking into other methods?
also this website http://www.stewsmith.com/linkpages/fbi.htm FSW

THANKS!

#EDIT; oops, here are my goals ( 39 situps ; 40 pushups; 10 pullups (optional); 44.9 300m run; 10 min 1.5 mile run; Time to reach goals, it is unknown, I would like to at least see passing scores in 1-2 months on a mock PFT)

all excercise info is tracked on a seperate EXCEL spreadsheet for reference

Last edited by Paul Western : 09-18-2010 at 08:58 AM.
Old 09-18-2010, 09:30 AM   #2
Eric Montgomery

Profile:
Re: Could use some info (another FBI PFT thread)

Those goals are doable without and PFT-specific training. You'll get there faster with a PFT plan but won't be as all-around fit. I would say try CF for a month or so, get your nutrition in line, sleep a lot, and see where you are at the end of the month.

Your pushups, situps, and pullups will get plenty of work in CF...the "official" CF warmup has you doing them every day so you'll start to get used to the volume.
Old 09-19-2010, 03:13 PM   #3
Craig Massey

Profile:

Sent you a PM about putting you in touch with some CrossFitting friends in the FBI.
Old 09-19-2010, 04:29 PM   #4
Paul Western

Profile:

Thanks Craig

I just sort of randomly picked the 1-2 month timeline. I am not scheduled for a PFT and not even eligible because I have not applied, I just want to be physically ready for one of these tests once I decide to make the move and apply for federal enforcement positions.
Old 09-19-2010, 05:14 PM   #5
Craig Massey

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Western View Post
Thanks Craig

I just sort of randomly picked the 1-2 month timeline. I am not scheduled for a PFT and not even eligible because I have not applied, I just want to be physically ready for one of these tests once I decide to make the move and apply for federal enforcement positions.
Oh, sorry, didn't get that.

Well, I've messaged my contact and we'll see what if anything comes back.

I think CF is great prep for about any general fitness test, but you could always come up with something that would prepare for that test and only that test better than CF would.

I can't say better than Eric Montgomery did then, try it for a month and see how well it does to get you where you want to be.
Old 09-20-2010, 05:19 AM   #6
Jacob Hurd

Profile:

Give crossfit a try. I am training for a police PFT and the past month of crossfit has done more for my numbers then the PFT specific regiment I was folowing. Which included running several times a week, the 100pushups.com and the (I think) 200situps.com I haver dropped 3 minutes off my 1.5 mile run and added 10 situps to my count (in 1 minute) all in the last 4 weeks.