CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 02-02-2009, 10:36 AM   #1
Amy Crawford

Profile:
Clients with gallbladder issues

Two of my clients have gallbladder issues ... one doesn't have it, and the other is supposed to be getting it removed this summer.

I suggest a loose paleo diet at first (minimize starches, cut out gluten, protein and healthy fat at every meal), but am wondering about the potential effects a higher fat diet might have with these clients. They both have a typical "healthy" American diet ... some lean meats, veggies, lots of pasta, beans, some cheese. Obviously calories that are not being ingested from grains, for example, need to be replaced by something else. Fat works for me, but what about these folks?

Thanks.
Old 02-02-2009, 04:17 PM   #2
Amber Mathwig

Profile:
Re: Clients with gallbladder issues

Wow, I was just looking for information this same issue because of my mother.

Have your clients followed the paleo suggestion? Have they had more or less problems? Has doing Crossfit had any positive/negative effect on their gallbladder? (Sorry about the multiple questions, but my parents fight me at every angle when it comes to their current bad health)

I found one old thread that indicated gallbladder problems and celiac disease may be symptoms of the same illness.
Old 02-04-2009, 06:48 AM   #3
Amy Crawford

Profile:

Well, the jury is still out ...

A brand new client is having hers removed this summer. She is a professor at a local university in exercise phys, sports nutrition, and community health. She's open to different ideas, but obviously is reluctant to increase her fat intake because of the gallbladder. The doc says it's operating at about 32%.

My very first client (3+months) doesn't have her gallbladder. She also has IBS, and she tried paleo, with limited fruit (she has a lot of weight to lose), and it stopped her up, literally for 10 days! She has prunes every day now. She eats an OK paleo-ish diet, but isn't too strict. She hasn't lost any weight, or not much, but is losing inches.

No other information. Still wondering ...
Old 03-28-2009, 07:35 PM   #4
Richard Furr

Profile:

I don't have any real proof of this. I suspect I may have gall bladder problems myself, so I've been doing some research.

Basically the gallbladder is not required. If removed, the bile(which helps to absorb fats) flows straight into the small intestine. People should still be able to digest fats without a gall bladder(however a non functioning gall bladder is a different story)

I've talked to several people on internet forums w/o gallbaldders, who do fine on low carb, high fat diets. Perhaps trying smaller meals would help if there is a problem. The low fat recommendation is just whats in all the mainstream stuff for some reason.