CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 10-21-2013, 01:32 PM   #11
Eric Montgomery

Profile:
Re: OHP not increasing

If you started SS 4 weeks ago and are already stalling out, you started too high on your work set weights. And you shouldn't be adding 2-3 metcons per week to SS. If you want a program that includes conditioning, do something like GSLP or 5/3/1.
Old 10-22-2013, 08:01 AM   #12
Brendan McNamar

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
If you started SS 4 weeks ago and are already stalling out, you started too high on your work set weights. And you shouldn't be adding 2-3 metcons per week to SS. If you want a program that includes conditioning, do something like GSLP or 5/3/1.
Yep what he said. SS doesn't sound like the correct program for you. If you do switch to GSLP or 5/3/1 make sure you follow the direction on starting numbers. When it recommends a training max of 90% use it.
Old 10-24-2013, 01:58 PM   #13
Aushion Chatman

Profile:

You can stick with SS, you just need to implement it correctly.

Make the fixes given above with the accessory work. Stick with one or two accessory exercises until you begin stalling again then consider switching to different accessory exercises.
Old 12-31-2013, 05:21 PM   #14
Colin Luck

Profile:

The power lifter dan green talked about getting his over head press up with tonnes of volume. Won't help much if your strict on SS but alternating max attempts with a 5x10, 5x8, 6x6 reps scheme will pack on kilos to your over head press providing your sound structurally and technique is on the money.

Doing this once a week plus some heavy close grip bench and high rep incline db bench for tricep and delt development I pushed my strict press from 60kg for 5 to 80kg for 5 in about 7 weeks.

Hope that helps!
Old 12-31-2013, 06:51 PM   #15
Richard Colon

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jenkins View Post
floor presses and heavy triceps.
Heed his words but I'll give a few suggestions as well. I will never be as strong as Mike but I'm a decent presser. I have been for a few years now. I hit a 205 Strict Press at a 198 bodyweight. I can still walk up cold and hit 135 for a dozen and 185x5 on good days.

Heavy triceps for me was the key. Powerlifting style, accessory tricep movements (not kickbacks, and pressdown stuff like most bodybuilders would do.) For me it was tricep flareouts (not sure the name but check EliteFTS for some movement ideas), CG Bench, DB Bench, etc.

Last edited by Richard Colon : 12-31-2013 at 06:53 PM.
Old 01-01-2014, 03:10 AM   #16
Colin Luck

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Colon View Post
Heed his words but I'll give a few suggestions as well. I will never be as strong as Mike but I'm a decent presser. I have been for a few years now. I hit a 205 Strict Press at a 198 bodyweight. I can still walk up cold and hit 135 for a dozen and 185x5 on good days.

Heavy triceps for me was the key. Powerlifting style, accessory tricep movements (not kickbacks, and pressdown stuff like most bodybuilders would do.) For me it was tricep flareouts (not sure the name but check EliteFTS for some movement ideas), CG Bench, DB Bench, etc.
This..
Old 01-01-2014, 04:10 AM   #17
Dare Vodusek

Profile:

This is exactly why I quit SS and moved to conjugate system by Chris. SS is great for a beginner but it lacks accessory work, so OP, add accessory work to it or find a more evolved program.
Old 01-03-2014, 12:33 PM   #18
Sean Hang

Profile:

I'm still on a basic linear progression like SS and after stalling so many times on the same weight, I decided to increase my weight by increments of 2.5 lbs and changing the rep scheme before increasing the weight. By that, I mean doing 5x3, 4x4, and then 3x5 over the course of 3 sessions; if I make all my sets of 5, I move up the weight. I've also been doing this for my squats after deloading so many times.

The progression will be a lot slower, but way more consistent than trying to hit 3x5 all the time. You will recover easier, and and it's much less demotivating. Over the course of two months, my OHP work set has increased by 15 lbs. While I did stall occasionally on some sessions, so far I have NEVER had to deload (knock on wood).

Granted, I was doing OHP 3 times a week without any tricep accessories during this time, and I didn't even start benching and doing dips again until a few weeks ago. This will probably slow down my OHP progression even more, but I'm okay with that since my bench is absolute crap after neglecting it for so long.

I hope this helps!