CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 07-18-2013, 07:59 PM   #1
Martin Waits

Profile:
Garage Gym Rack/Rig

Hi All,

I have some questions about what piece of equipment would be best for me.

Some background: I started eating primal/paleo and working out a few months ago. Currently, I'm working out in our master bedroom and I just have one of the in-door pull-up bars for equipment. I'm doing pull-ups, push-ups, air squats, planks, lunges and burpees. Over the next few months I'm going to make a plyo box and buy a 35lb kettlebell and a set of adjustable dumbbells (up to 100lbs each) so I can do some other exercises and incorporate crossfit-style workouts.

At the beginning of next year, I should have enough money to get some gear for a garage gym. I'm going to get a rogue bar, 230lbs of bumpers and a set of rings.

The main thing I have left to decide is whether to get the S-2 squat stand or the R-3 rack. The squat stand would end up being about $370 less since I wouldn't have to pay for shipping (but I would have to pay for shipping on the rack). However, I'm concerned about the limitations and safety of the stand vs. the rack.

Limitations: I can't do pull-ups/ring dips and rack a barbell at the same time with the stand. This means I couldn't do any circuits involving racked weight (e.g., heavy squats) and pull-ups or dips. From the pictures on Rogue's website, it looks like you can do pull-ups/dips while a barbell is racked on the R-3, but can someone confirm this for me? I don't want to be too limited, and installing a separate pull-up bar elsewhere in the garage is not an option.

Safety: I'm always going to be lifting by myself and it seems from the reading I have done that a rack would be safer (especially for bench presses, which I will get to eventually). Is there enough of a difference in safety to make it worth spending the extra $370?

Any insight would be much appreciated, including other pros/cons related to the s-2 vs. r-3 comparison. Thanks!
Old 07-18-2013, 08:51 PM   #2
Vilan Natanzon

Profile:
Re: Garage Gym Rack/Rig

Are you including the $135 spotters for S-2? They will save you just as well as R-3 on the bench but since you're not fully enclosed you're in more danger on squats.
Old 07-19-2013, 06:18 AM   #3
Nicholas Wheeler

Profile:

Depending on where you setup your R-3, it's basically TWO squat racks. I have J-cups on each side, and it works wondefully. Yes, you CAN have a loaded bar and can do pullups. You can't kip like crazy, but it's definitely possible for strict pulls. I would say that kind of work comes up rarely, but I honestly don't notice because I got my R-3 as part of a package that came with a P-4 system, so I have an extra pullup bar as well.
Old 07-19-2013, 06:19 AM   #4
Rob Carrillo

Profile:

in regards to safety and the S-2 w/ safety spotter arms (which I use) and squatting heavy, I always wonder / worry if a loaded bar hitting the safety arms would tip the whole rack on a failed rep and I picture the cross member taking me out (I did not mount mine to the floor, but I try to keep it weighed down with plates, but when I squat heavy there are no plates weighing it down). I would imagine mounting it to the floor would alleviate the problem; I just haven't had the desire to drill holes in my garage floor.

I would think one of the main reasons to choose one over the other would be the amount of space you have in your home gym. if you can fit an R-3; what else will you be able to fit? and how much room will it leave you to do other exercises?
Old 07-19-2013, 09:12 AM   #5
Matt Bell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Carrillo View Post
in regards to safety and the S-2 w/ safety spotter arms (which I use) and squatting heavy, I always wonder / worry if a loaded bar hitting the safety arms would tip the whole rack on a failed rep and I picture the cross member taking me out (I did not mount mine to the floor, but I try to keep it weighed down with plates, but when I squat heavy there are no plates weighing it down). I would imagine mounting it to the floor would alleviate the problem; I just haven't had the desire to drill holes in my garage floor.
I seriously doubt it would tip, even without weight holding it down, because the leverage just isn't as much as you get closer to the floor. It could get wobbly without weights if you're kipping though. You could always test it to see if loading up, say, 495 pounds while the bar is sitting on the spotter arms, and roll it out all the way to the end, and see if it even budges. Then stand on them! I'm sure Rogue tested plenty of heavy drops on those arms on an S2 before putting it up for sale. I don't weigh mine down, and have just stepped up on one of the arms a few times without even a budge. You're not really dropping weight on the spotter arms when you bail out of a back squat anyway (front squat maybe) if you care about your equipment.

I considered the R3 at first as well, but I don't like squatting inside the rack unless there's a lot of room like the R4, so the S2 with spotter arms is better for me in that regard. You also have to bolt the R3 to the floor or a platform, which is something to consider.

Last edited by Matt Bell; 07-19-2013 at 09:23 AM..
Old 07-19-2013, 11:01 AM   #6
Rob Carrillo

Profile:

well, my cause for concern arose when someone weighing 180lbs leaned back while holding on to the rings that are attached to the pull-up bar (almost as if to do an inverted ring pull-up, only they leaned back and weren't directly under the rings) and the whole rack tipped...

may just have to test out your idea to satisfy my own worry / curiosity

Last edited by Rob Carrillo; 07-19-2013 at 11:04 AM..
Old 07-19-2013, 04:11 PM   #7
Martin Waits

Profile:

Vilan - I'm not including the spotter arms at this point. I figured at that point I'm a lot closer to the price of the rack and might as well get the R-3 if it gives me more options with circuits that include pull-ups and racked barbells.

Nicholas - thanks for letting me know you can do pull-ups with a racked barbell on the R-3. I guess the fact that this kind of work comes up rarely means it might not be too big a deal to get the S-2.

Rob - I'll have enough room for either the S-2 or R-3, a plyo box, kettlebells, dumbbells and some space for burpees/jump rope.

Matt - good to know you considered the R-3 and ended up with the S-2.

I suppose one plan would be to get the S-2 for now and get the spotter arms down the road if I end up benching heavier weights.
Old 07-19-2013, 05:32 PM   #8
Matt Bell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Carrillo View Post
well, my cause for concern arose when someone weighing 180lbs leaned back while holding on to the rings that are attached to the pull-up bar (almost as if to do an inverted ring pull-up, only they leaned back and weren't directly under the rings) and the whole rack tipped...

may just have to test out your idea to satisfy my own worry / curiosity
Ah, yeah, pulling from the top you can easily tip it, but you could just as easily tip an R3 that wasn't bolted down, doing the same thing. That's why they even sell wheels for it, so you can tip it from the top and roll it like a wheelbarrow. But, as you get closer to the floor it gets progressively harder to tip, cuz, you know... physics. I can't imagine what the load would have to be at squat-bail height (2.5-3 feet) for it to overcome stability of the base, but it's probably more than either of us can squat combined.

So, to satisfy our combined curiosity, I tried it. Loaded up 385 (all I could fit with what I have) on the bar resting on the spotter arms set a little above knee height (about bailing height), rolled it out to the very end, and then stood on the spotter arms and bounced up and down a little. I'm about 210, so that's about 595 on the arms. Didn't budge.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	loaded-S2-arms.JPG
Views:	2775
Size:	112.9 KB
ID:	12595  
Old 07-19-2013, 06:46 PM   #9
Harris Goodwin

Profile:

I'm in the same boat as you right now-in need of a rack/pull up combo, but I've pretty much decided on the r-3...either way I plan to bolt it to the floor but I really like the robustness of the r-3 and the ability to attach bands. I will workout on my own a lot, so safety is definitely a factor. It is also nice to have the option to attach the different accessories that rogue makes later on.
Old 07-20-2013, 09:09 AM   #10
Rob Carrillo

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Bell View Post
Ah, yeah, pulling from the top you can easily tip it, but you could just as easily tip an R3 that wasn't bolted down, doing the same thing. That's why they even sell wheels for it, so you can tip it from the top and roll it like a wheelbarrow. But, as you get closer to the floor it gets progressively harder to tip, cuz, you know... physics. I can't imagine what the load would have to be at squat-bail height (2.5-3 feet) for it to overcome stability of the base, but it's probably more than either of us can squat combined.

So, to satisfy our combined curiosity, I tried it. Loaded up 385 (all I could fit with what I have) on the bar resting on the spotter arms set a little above knee height (about bailing height), rolled it out to the very end, and then stood on the spotter arms and bounced up and down a little. I'm about 210, so that's about 595 on the arms. Didn't budge.
awesome, that helped put my mind at ease!