CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 11-24-2012, 12:47 PM   #1
Kainoa Bostock

Profile:
Strength, WODs, or both?

Hi, I'm a former athlete (wrestling and water polo in high school), with some CF experience (about 3 months at CF Oahu 2 years ago), and I'm now trying to get back into it as I've been somewhat disappointed with my current weightlifting regimen. The problem is, I'm generally not strong enough to complete the WODs at Rx, so I'm wondering whether I should first focus on lifting and getting my strength up (I recently started the 5/3/1 program), or if I should start doing the WODs at a lighter weight, or if I should try doing both at once. Any help would be very appreciated.
Old 11-24-2012, 12:53 PM   #2
Eric Montgomery

Profile:
Re: Strength, WODs, or both?

If you've got the 2nd edition 5/3/1 e-book, it talks about how to integrate CF with the normal 3 or 4 day per week 5/3/1 program. That's a good way to go if you need to get stronger but still want to add in assistance work and conditioning. Just be smart with your conditioning, meaning you should keep it short and not do stuff that will negatively impact your lifting or recovery.

Good to see another CFOer on here....that's where I got my start almost 5 years ago before I moved to San Diego then to Mass. Lots of good people there.
Old 11-24-2012, 01:49 PM   #3
Andre J Gordon-Ruddell

Profile:

We do both at our gym, Strength, skill, then WOD..... Scale the WODs if you need to. Ive only been doing this for just over 3 months now and I still scale insert the usual saying here, practice, practice, and practice. You will get there.
Old 11-24-2012, 02:07 PM   #4
Joshua Biernacki

Profile:

I run a site GarageGymJunkie.blogspot.com, and I work Strength on a daily basis. It is part of the belief that strength is the key to all aspects of Crossfit. Yet the strength I prescribe to the followers is based off the core concept of Crossfit; Constant Varied, High Intensity, Functional Movements.
Old 11-25-2012, 04:53 PM   #5
Kainoa Bostock

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
If you've got the 2nd edition 5/3/1 e-book, it talks about how to integrate CF with the normal 3 or 4 day per week 5/3/1 program. That's a good way to go if you need to get stronger but still want to add in assistance work and conditioning. Just be smart with your conditioning, meaning you should keep it short and not do stuff that will negatively impact your lifting or recovery.

Good to see another CFOer on here....that's where I got my start almost 5 years ago before I moved to San Diego then to Mass. Lots of good people there.
I don't have that book actually I just found a summary online of the 5-3-1 program. What's the book title so I can add it to my Christmas list or is it the same as Starting Strength?

Also, I currently attend BU! What gym do you go to?
Old 11-25-2012, 05:24 PM   #6
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

This is the one I've got and it's very thorough: http://store.jimwendler.com/ProductD...de=5312EDEBOOK WFS. It might say it's out of stock but that's a glitch, seeing how e-books can't really be out of stock.

I don't train at a CF gym here....time and money are limited due to me being an unemployed grad student at the moment. So I just do my lifting in the campus gym and keep conditioning pretty simple....hill sprints, sandbag work, stadium stairs, Airdyne intervals, etc.
Old 11-25-2012, 10:06 PM   #7
Ryan McGrotty

Profile:

Eric's got good advice. At the crossfit gym I used to go to, we always worked on a skill that was strength-based, such as doing a 5x5 deadlift, then going into the WOD after that. The skill was a great warm-up for the wod too.