CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 01-06-2005, 07:38 AM   #1
Daniel Overvoll

Profile:
Hello to all! I've been doing WOD's for about three weeks now, and the wife just got me the XFIT journal for Christmas. Now I have her doing WOD's with me.

I had gotten out of shape after a Patella dislocation and a friend suggested this site. I initially hated all of the squat work, but have seen such a big improvement in my knee strength and flexibility, that I have a "Tabata Fixation". On days when I am learning a new technique and feel I haven't given the glutes and hams enough work I'll add Tabata squats at the end.

I've hung a pullup bar in the office so I can do one each time I enter/leave the room - this is my weakest link. I am building a monkey bar this weekend and I can hang my heavy bag on it also. Planning on hanging rings when I can "swing it", and I have a tree for a rope climb. I built a 20 lb ball last week; it's Walmart yellow with a smiley face and I hate it's guts.....

If any of you have photos of your backyard, barn, or outdoor gyms, I am looking for ideas and would love to see them. Hope to post more questions and get to know some of you as I continue.

Best wishes,

DanO
Old 01-06-2005, 07:45 AM   #2
Tanner Kolb

Profile:
DanO

welcome, it sounds like you are off to a great start.
there are a ton of pics of peoples home gyms if you look on the main page to the right and look through the old workouts. also if you do a search for gym dandy, eugene's home gym is incredible.
Old 01-06-2005, 07:50 AM   #3
Tanner Kolb

Profile:
here is the link to make life a bit easier

http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/26/6348.html
Old 01-06-2005, 08:01 AM   #4
William Hunter

Profile:
Hey DanO

You are off to a great start. I've been WODing it since Thanksgiving. You're kicking my tail in the home gym dept. I'm curious about your med ball. Did you use sand and duct tape like a lot of people suggest, or some other method?

Will
Old 01-06-2005, 10:38 AM   #5
Daniel Overvoll

Profile:
Will,

I found a Walmart rubber basketball for $3.00, drilled it with a 5/16 drill bit on the air valve, used a small funnel to add dry sand, then used a punctured tire kit with Gorilla glue, a rubber patch with Gorilla glue and finally the duct tape. It's about 22 lbs.

I had been using the 12 lb ball at my gym, which I thought was rough at the time. I had finally got to the poing I had a rythym of throwing and catching where I could knock out 25 straight. Then I made the EVIL ball..I'm back to groups of 10 or 5 by the 2nd or 3rd round, like yesterday.

Thanks to everyone who responded and for the info!

DanO
Old 01-06-2005, 10:41 AM   #6
John Phipps

Profile:
I cleaned the garage this weekend and found an old basketball and volleyball. I will be making both of them into medicine balls. I have read that if you put the sand into double bagged sandwich bags, then the sand is less likely to leak. I will try that and put them together next weekend. It doesn’t sound too bad.
Old 01-06-2005, 10:45 AM   #7
Daniel Overvoll

Profile:
Tanner,

Now that's a GYM!! Eugene could be the poster child for the XFIT sponsors. It's cool to see the kids having so much fun on the gear too. How much ceiling does he have for the climbing wall? Has anyone built one of those yet? I know-check the archives!! I always feel like I'm catching up on the site.

Thanks guys!

DanO
Old 01-06-2005, 11:25 AM   #8
William Hunter

Profile:
Thanks for the info DanO! This will be my weekend project. Looking forward to the pain!
Old 01-07-2005, 04:21 AM   #9
Tanner Kolb

Profile:
DanO,

actually eug was getting rid of some of his holds and i bought 100 of them off of him, and then got a fram of plywood from a buddy that was moving. so now i am in the process of building one in my shed. because of how small it is most of it will be overhanging. not sure how much of eug is overhanging youll have to ask him.
Old 01-07-2005, 10:01 AM   #10
Bill Holbrook

Profile:  
Too funny. I JUST went to Walmart myself to pick out a nice (cheap) ball to fill with sand and almost went with the classic yellow smiley ball. I was thinking that the smiley face would eventually just **** me off during a tough workout and I figured it would be covered in duct tape anyways, so I went with a regular basketball ($3.00). Good idea on the plug though.