CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 07-09-2008, 09:49 AM   #1
Michael Stehle

Profile:
Fire Hose Chops

Check it out!

We used a 50 ft fire hose this morning in our AM classes.

WFS: www.NewJerseyCrossFit.com
Old 07-09-2008, 10:36 AM   #2
Peter Queen

Profile:
Re: Fire Hose Chops

Nice Michael, looks like you are using a couple of 50ft 3in dia hoses. Those are nice, sturdy, durable and heavy. I also have two 50ft 3in dia fire hoses (couplings attached) and have them each folded up in their own duffle bag. For fun I throw them on each shoulder and do some killer walking lunges (knee to ground) with them. I lucked out and was able to get a couple of used ones that my department had to take out of service. So I told the chief,"since you are going to throw them away anyway......" and the rest is history as they say. That's the beauty of Crossfit, make use with what's in your enviorment add a little imagination and you have yourself a great WOD.

Thanks for sharing your idea on other fun ways to use fire hoses, enjoy.
Old 07-09-2008, 11:36 AM   #3
Michael Stehle

Profile:

Nice Peter!

Yep, that's a 50 foot piece that we have looped around our fountain. We're looking for a 2" peice for our "less strong" members.
Old 07-09-2008, 01:30 PM   #4
Peter Queen

Profile:

Go to your local department, if you have not done so already, and talk to their chief or any senior officer. They should also have an equipment officer as well. Find out if they have any old hoses that they have taken out of service due to wear or leaks. They would probably let you have a few 2"s or even another 3" if available. As mentioned, I threw my two into a couple of $15 dollar duffle bags that I purchased from the local army/navy surplus store. This way the bundle is easier to handle and removes the chance of getting whacked with the couplings at the ends. The bag/bundle also makes a great heavy throwing object that you can heave at the end of executing a thruster motion. You should see the looks I get from my neighbors when they hear the loud thud that the impact makes when the bag hits the ground/grass. Their probably thinking that's that crazy firefighter Peter working out again. But, the funny thing is that being 6ft 5in and 260lbs, they always tell me that they hope it's me that has to be the one to pull them out of a fire...go figure.

If you are reeeeally lucky, (and this is only a suggestion) you might even get a hold of a few used buncker pants. Try lunging or box jumping in those babies, you'll sweat the calories off in no time. Although you'll probably want to use those just for yourself and not the class. Those things are a bear to wash because of the layers which you will have to seperate first and then they take forever to dry.

Good luck with getting more hoses though.
Old 07-09-2008, 02:47 PM   #5
S.S.

Profile:

I checked out the pictures- looks like fun. Maybe I'm missing something, but what exactly did you do with them? It looks like it was an alternative to power jumps, but I'm not sure what those are.
Old 07-09-2008, 03:03 PM   #6
Michael Stehle

Profile:

You whip it!

Whip it good!

Check out WFS: www.battlingropes.com