CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 06-10-2008, 05:59 AM   #11
Leonid Soubbotine

Profile:
Re: affiliates that rely on kettlebells and post their own WODs

I'm with John and Randy. I use db's and bb's much more often than KB's. It has more carryover to classic "mainpage" cf. Yes there's skill involved in kb lifting - long cycle, snatch and variety of other moves. They're challenging and fun.
I just prefer good old barbells and dumbbells much better.
However main page CF has the swing and that's about all we do with our kb's. Plus farmers walks and carries.

Even the fact that I come from Russia and played with kb's in my early teens - my dad had a pood and 1.5 pood kb's doesn't change the fact - db's and bb's are just more versatile and in general my preferred training tools.
Old 06-10-2008, 08:50 AM   #12
Michael Stehle

Profile:

We built our niche with kb's before we became a CF affiliate. They work great for our gym setup and our members love them. I wouldn't say their better then anything else, they just work well for us. We still use bb's and db's for some of our WOD's.

www.NewJerseyCrossFit.com
www.JerseyKettlebell.com
Old 06-10-2008, 08:52 AM   #13
Leonid Soubbotine

Profile:

Michael - are you guys planning on expanding?
I've seen quite a few of your guys vids and kb's are definately a must for you guys - classes are packed!
Old 06-10-2008, 08:58 AM   #14
James Neuman

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Stehle View Post
We built our niche with kb's before we became a CF affiliate. They work great for our gym setup and our members love them. I wouldn't say their better then anything else, they just work well for us. We still use bb's and db's for some of our WOD's.

www.NewJerseyCrossFit.com
www.JerseyKettlebell.com
Michael, it is your site that I regularly follow for kettlbell WODs. My only complaint about an otherwise great resource is that you don't seem to have an active forum, making it a little difficult to ask questions I occasionally have.
Old 06-10-2008, 10:23 AM   #15
Patrick Donnelly

Profile:

Re: Jeff
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Walsh
All this s--- came to head with me the other day after reading like 15 pages of yet another discussion on the “correct” was to lift a 53 pound ball of iron with a handle on it. *Sigh* This was really depressing. So depressing in fact that I took my iron balls with handles on them and packed them away in boxes labeled “Physical Fitness Antiquities for f-----s and r-----s”. I’m just sort of done with those implements for a while.

Never has so much been made out of so little. I mean these implements ( I can’t even bring myself to use the dreaded “k” word anymore) weigh 53 pounds. If I handed you a 53 pound dumbbell and made all these grandiose claims about its magical qualities you’d think I was a madman and rightly so. Well apparently 53 pounds makes the blind see and the lame walk again. I’m holding out for flying. If they can guarantee me that the “What the f---” effect of lifting a 53 pound object will allow me to fly like an eagle then I’m back in and I don’t care what altar they genuflect at. For now I’m going back to good old barbells dumbbells and calisthenics just like I did the first 30 or so years of my training. I don’t know how I will survive but somehow I'll just have to hobble along without the magical qualities that lie within the round hunk of iron with a handle on the end.
Not to mention you can buy a whole set of dumbbells on Craig's List for pennies while a single pair of kettlebells can leave you penniless.
Old 06-10-2008, 02:01 PM   #16
Polo Lopez

Profile:

I attended the CrossFit kettlebell cert in Jan. with Coach Jeff Martone. It was a great help and at the time we only had KB's in our gym. His booklet that went with the cert had a chapter on how to convert the "Girl" WODs with KB's. Went a long way for us in the beginning. We still throw in some KB work from time to time, especially with class settings. We even did the 2 minute drill WOD with KB's.
Old 06-10-2008, 05:23 PM   #17
Michael Stehle

Profile:

Leonid, we just expanded our facility which was much needed. We just added boxing instruction to our arsenal.

James, you can always leave a comment or question under the post on our blog. I'll be sure to answer that day. I guess a forum wouldn't be a bad idea either. Thanks for the tip.

Thank you all for visiting our site! I'm having a blast with it.
Old 06-10-2008, 10:03 PM   #18
Ron Haskins

Profile:

Mike,

There are more people than you know using your workouts. I certainly hope you don't mind. We (CrossFit Carson Valley) and the fire department I work for look to you and CrossFit Philly for lots of ideas. Although we may change things up a bit, I find kettlebell centric workouts good for functional workouts that are fun, easy to equip (not cheap) and realtively easy to instruct for the average person in our practice. Besides, the people love them for just one more level of variety.

Thanks for what you do.

http://crossfitcarsonvalley.com
Old 06-11-2008, 08:11 AM   #19
Michael Stehle

Profile:

Ron, of coarse we don't mind. That's what the site's there for. Feel free to leave comments, suggestions or questions. I love to talk kettlebell training!
Old 06-11-2008, 08:28 AM   #20
James Neuman

Profile:

Hey Michael,

My questions tend to be about exercises that I don't know and can't find a description of anywhere.

For example, today calls for "Knee ups" and "med ball sit and reach." I assume that knee-up is similar to a knee to elbow exercise (a video of which is on the main Crossfit page). And I also assume that "med ball sit and reach" is basically a situp, followed by pushing the ball up.

But setting those exercises aside, is there a page on your site where each exercise is defined? Most of them I get - and I'm sure most people understand them immediately - but I do occasionally have questions.