CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 03-23-2008, 07:11 AM   #101
Alan Kalbarczyk

Profile:
Re: how did you find crossfit?

mma.tv (s&c forum) Thanks Ring Girl
Old 03-23-2008, 12:02 PM   #102
Henry Whitaker

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hilton View Post
Movie "300" took me to GymJones.com ... which took me to researching Gym Jones' workouts ... which took me to an online fitness article ... which took me to comments made by a user saying GymJones is just CrossFit ...

Six Degrees to CrossFit ...
Ditto, except I believe I just followed a link from the GymJones website to CrossFit.com.
Old 03-23-2008, 01:21 PM   #103
Jayson Keel

Profile:

Read about it in a Men's mag several years ago. I got online read about it a little more. Then I got caught up in Matt Furey's Combat Conditioning with the rest of the Tactical Unit I was on at the time, and forgot about it. In 2006I found myself in Tarin Kowt Afghanistan working with the Australian SAS and Air Force CSAR. I got smoked while we were at the gym/ tent playing "well can you do this". l watched a guy do 65 pull-up's a row and decided what I was doing wasn't getting it done. When I enquired his response was, "it's crossfit, mate ". I was as hooked as my internet connection would allow at that point. When I got home I dug in deeper, went to a certification and affiliated. Good times!
Old 03-25-2008, 06:50 AM   #104
Rohan Sookdeo

Profile:

1.Im one of those guys who was doing the menshealth "workout routine" and was on platue oh yeah and was bored out of my mind with the workout.I saw "300" ... then saw it again and proclaimed that I was going to be a spartan warrior.

2.After realizing a crimson cape and a spartan battle shield was not that easy to find I Did some research and found GymJones.

3.Read Mark Twight's "evil" philosophy and was intrigued by the minimalistic hardcore approach. Function over form, because your life depends on it ...I was drawn in.

4.Did more reading and he mentioned crossfit in one of his writings.

5.Went the website and the rest is history.

Last edited by Rohan Sookdeo; 03-25-2008 at 07:02 AM..
Old 04-23-2008, 05:21 PM   #105
Bill Getty

Profile:

I was at my friend Bob's house on New Year's day this year and found a 4 lb. hammer next to his couch. He said he used it to develop wrist strength while watching a movie and then started to talk about CrossFit. His entire family (wife, both kids and the cats) groaned in unison and said, "Nooooooo! Now you got him started!". He told me about the website and I did the rest of the damage myself. After 5 months of study I'm still on board and having a great time!
Old 04-24-2008, 07:37 AM   #106
Patrick M. Reed

Profile:

When I lived in Baltimore, my roommate that played rugby was looking for better ways to do conditioning. He wasn't doing Crossfit, but was working on functional training for his sport. Anyway, one day, he showed me some website with someone doing the "ridiculous" (in a good way) exercise known as the turkish get-up. He said. "check out some of those other exercises. Crazy." I just happened to notice the website was crossfit.com, and just happened to remember it years later, when I wanted to enhance my training.

Haven't looked back since.
Old 04-24-2008, 09:03 AM   #107
James Besenyei

Profile:

Insanely intrigued by lead up to the movie 300. Followed everything that came out about the movie. Saw vid of Twight training the actors. Went to his website. Read about CF on his site. Came to CF site. Stop.
Old 05-26-2008, 09:00 PM   #108
Andrea Johnston

Profile:

Started Olympic lifting with one of the trainers at my gym, then ended up doing his posted WOD everyday and then found out that it was crossfit workouts plus agility one day a week after about 3 weeks of hell and wondering where he thought this stuff up!

=)
Old 05-26-2008, 10:07 PM   #109
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Roger Harrell's interesting forms of conditioning at the end of gymnastics workouts. Ugh. Still, good stuff.
Old 05-27-2008, 06:46 AM   #110
Jonathan Sabar

Profile:

It was kind of an organic process for me. My own training went from more bodybuilding to powerlifting to strongman (and back and forth a few times) when I was a trainer at a Globo Gym.

I started doing some of the strongman training in "medley" fashion to get more stamina, then got a few clients who were getting ready for the firefighter CPAT test. I started working with them with my routines to build strength and stamina, and in the process fine-tuned my workouts at the same time.

At the same time, I was turning more toward kettlebell training, as well as getting info on using complexes, and adding them into my training, as well as pulling bits into my clients' training.

A couple of years ago, I had a client ask me if what I was having her do was CrossFit. First I'd ever heard of it, but from her description it didn't sound all that special to me.

I got a few more comments/questions like that over the next few months, which had me a little more curious. What really got me investigating it was when I started reading posts with people ripping on CF in places like T-Mag.

Hell, if T-Mag finds it worth ripping on, I should probably check this "CrossFit" thing out!

Started cherry-picking workouts last summer, really following the WOD last fall, got certified in January, and affiliated last month!