CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 01-23-2008, 03:38 PM   #1
Dan Hollingsworth

Profile:
Warm-up for Tabata Run

Hi, pretty new to CF and first-time poster in this forum. I come from an endurance background, triathlons and marathons mostly. I'm intrigued by the idea of improving aerobic and anaerobic capacity through tabata runs. I have searched here for specific protocols, but haven't been able to find anything specific.

What I really want to know is if there is a specific warm-up before starting the intervals? I did my first tabata run at home yesterday just as a trial. I essentially did 20 min of fairly easy running and then straight into my 20:10 second intervals. I definitely need to figure out the right speed on my intervals as I was not gassed at the end.

Any suggestions for hitting a proper Tabata Run would be greatly appreciated. Also, how many do you do per week?

Thanks,
Dan
Old 01-24-2008, 12:24 PM   #2
Bhupinder Khosa

Profile:
Re: Warm-up for Tabata Run

There isn't a specific warm up that I'm aware of. The warm up should prepare you for the tabata so gradual increase in intensity with movements relevant to the workout.

The right speed for tabata is as fast as possible.

There isn't an ideal amount. The idea is to create variety in your routine. Throw in a tabata when you fancy it. At other times try 400m sprints or a 3k run. Or anything else you can think of. Do as much running and the WOD as you can recover from.
Old 01-24-2008, 03:11 PM   #3
William Hunter

Profile:

Yeah, I don't think there's a specific warmup. I always go through the basic foot, hip, shoulder and back stuff that I'm sure you know about.

As for Tabatas on the t-mill you could:
1) guesstimate where to start, and ramp up the speed on each interval until you feel like you can't go any faster. That will give you some good info for future sessions.

2) or, if you started slow, but like your speed to remain constant, perform more than the standard 8 rds in 4 min that's popular here if you still have gas in the tank. I did tabatas for about 8-9 min the first time out b/c I set the speed too low. Ideally you shouldn't be able to go more than 10 min or you lose the intensity IMO.

A lot will depend on how the rest of your weekly workouts are laid out, but I wouldn't do them more than 2x per week, if that.

I also agree with Bhupinder that tabatas don't have to be your only sprint workout. 400m repeats can be worked in, as well as other short distances.
Old 01-24-2008, 10:07 PM   #4
Dan Hollingsworth

Profile:

Bhupinder & William,

Thanks for the info. I'm still trying to wrap my brain around the idea of doing such short intervals. Most of the time I'm training for olympic distance triathlons or marathons. I have pretty much kept all of my interval work to 800m or greater. I have read some of Brian MacKenzie's articles. It's interesting and intriguing, but like I said, I have been training with more miles and longer intervals for 10 years, so it's kind of hard to swallow, but I'm trying to keep an open mind. I'm always open to new ideas.

Thanks again.

Dan
Old 01-25-2008, 09:12 AM   #5
Skylar Cook

Profile:

Have you done a tabata yet? Do one.

Afterwards, there won't be so much brain-wrapping as collapsing and gasping.
Old 01-25-2008, 11:08 AM   #6
Dan Hollingsworth

Profile:

I did one but clearly not at the right speed. I wasn't completely gassed afterward. Not sure I really want to do anything too crazy right now, got a marathon coming up in 9 days.

The brain-wrapping issue is more along the lines of figuring out how such short intervals help with long distance running. I looked up Tabata's studies on pubmed, so I know the evidence is there, it's just a paradigm shift.
Old 01-25-2008, 11:32 AM   #7
Steven Low

Profile:

Why do a tabata run when you can just do an interval run? IMO it's slightly better to do it for distance as a constant rather than time as your performance will tend to decrease over time leading to less and less distance covered per the given time.

For longer distance you can use longer intervals and then just decrease the rest times to make it harder respectively.
Old 01-25-2008, 11:53 AM   #8
Daniel Freedman

Profile:

My background is also in endurance events. I agree that wrapping your head around such short intervals takes some getting used to.

Remember, you can also mix and match.

Looking back at my log, here's a workout I did on Dec. 11.

Warm for a mile on the dreadmill.
8 20/10 Tabata Intervals at 6.5 mph.and incline level 11
4 rounds of:
- 35 pushups
-10 pullups

Next time I do this, I'll probably add another set of Tabata intervals at the end.

Another idea. You can take a workout such as "Tabata This" and substitute
sprint intervals for one of the four exercises.
Old 01-25-2008, 03:12 PM   #9
Gant Grimes

Profile:

1. Tabatas are wonderful.
2. Warm up as you would for sprints.
3. You won't get the same effect out of a treadmill. Sorry.
4. The pace is balls-out from the word "go."
5. If you're doing them properly, i.e. ball's-out, you probably won't make it to the 5th round. That's ok, walk your *** as fast as you can. I haven't done Tab-sprints yet, but I suspect the first couple sessions will be a hurl-fest.
6. If you're doing two of them in one session, you didn't do them properly.
7. Almost Tabata is NOT Tabata. This includes the treadmill, 90% effort, etc. Everything else is just interval training.
Old 01-25-2008, 03:16 PM   #10
Steven Low

Profile:

Yeah, Gant's right here (in terms of tabatas at least). If you're not giving 100% every second of "on" then you're doing it wrong.

Sprinting 100% will burn you out very, very quickly. Extremely intensive on the CNS and muscles.