CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 03-25-2007, 11:04 AM   #61
Scott Ponte

Profile:
Garrett- That type of workout sounds awesome. April 7th is the date we're shooting for. How about 11am?

I'd also be interested in helping you get something going. Unfortunetly I'm in the military so how long I'll be around is unknown, but while I'm here I'd love to help out.
Old 03-25-2007, 12:28 PM   #62
Yael Grauer

Profile:
Hey everyone, I got coffee with Tony Torres (who is one of Tony Blauer's top guys) this morning to talk about training. He is always out of town but we're talking about setting up 2-hour workshops once a month or so. If anybody is interested in getting in on it, let me know. It's somewhere between 35 and 50 bucks an hour depending on how many people show up; maximum is four. Below is Tony Torres' bio which I got from Tony Blauer's website, check it out... he's a total badass. He was also very nice and focused and down-to-earth, I can't wait to train with him.

Tony Torres served in the US Navy for 9 years where he served as a Search & Rescue Swimmer and on the Nuclear Weapons Security Team. He was part of Physical Security for Atlantic Fleet Headquarters as well as their DT Instructor.

After the Navy, Mr. Torres served as a police officer for 12 years with the Virginia Beach Police Department. His law enforcement experience includes Plainclothes Special Enforcement Unit, Mobile Tactics Team (Assistant Team Leader), Background Investigator, Community Policing Team as well as Defensive Tactics & Fitness Instructor for the Academy and In-service training. Mr. Torres was also a Virginia Division of Criminal Justice Services General and Defensive Tactics Instructor as well as a Court Recognized Use of Force and Defensive Tactics Expert Witness.

From 2002-2003 he was a lead instructor at Blackwater Training Center for the U.S. Navy's Anti-Terrorism Warfare Development Group teaching CQB & force-on-force. From 2003-2005 Mr. Torres worked for Blackwater Security Consultants in Iraq as Team Leader and Tactical Commander for various protective service teams including Ambassador Bremer detail, Ambassador Kosnett detail and a QRF/CAT/Convoy team.

Mr. Torres has been involved with the S.P.E.A.R. SYSTEM since 1999 and has used S.P.E.A.R. tactics and research in both the street and in court. He is S.P.E.A.R. SYSTEM certified, a HIGH GEAR Simulation System Instructor and Ballistic Micro-Fight Certified. Mr. Torres now teaches full-time for Blauer Tactical Systems.
Old 03-25-2007, 04:39 PM   #63
Garrett Smith

Profile:
Scott,
I'd prefer to do it at 10am at the latest--11am could be really warm and sunny in two weeks--just looked at the 10-day predictions at www.Weather.com (safe) and the high was looking like 85 and climbing. Actually, I'd rather even go to 9am if anyone else will show up that early (it's not early to me, I work out at 7am every morning I can). I don't mind the heat so much, but my wife does, and I try to stay out of the Tucson sun after 10am (hey, I'm Scandinavian). If anyone objects to making it earlier than 11am, please make sure to say so.

Yael,
Can Mr. Torres do a PDR (Personal Defense Readiness) course on his own here in Tucson? I'd like for my wife and I to both attend and the only one I can seem to find is in NY state.
Old 03-25-2007, 05:09 PM   #64
Scott Ponte

Profile:
Garrett- I can do 9 or 10. What does everyone else prefer?
Old 03-25-2007, 06:30 PM   #65
Yael Grauer

Profile:
He lives about an hour outside of Tucson so yes he can do private sessions in the area. I'll send you an e-mail.
Old 03-25-2007, 06:33 PM   #66
Yael Grauer

Profile:
P.S. I vote for 10/11-ish. It's brunch after all (and I work late nights.)
Old 03-25-2007, 07:15 PM   #67
Nicholas J Marquis

Profile:
I'd go for 10 am.

Nick
Old 03-25-2007, 09:43 PM   #68
Scott Ponte

Profile:
Sounds like it's going to be 10am Udall Park April 7th. Tell your friends :P

Not quite workout we can do with the equipment provided. Garrett suggested we do Helen and he has the kettleballs, which would work as long as he's ok to let us use them.

(Message edited by Nixxon on March 25, 2007)
Old 03-26-2007, 07:26 AM   #69
Garrett Smith

Profile:
10am sounds good to me.

In terms of strict CF workouts, Helen was the easiest one to do there that came to mind.

However, I'm totally open to creating a chipper right there on the spot, based on the equipment there (I personally think it would be more fun).

I can bring pairs of the 24, 35, and 53# KBs. If I need to bring any lighter ones, I need to know.
Old 03-26-2007, 08:49 AM   #70
Yael Grauer

Profile:
We could always do some kind of Tabata workout and let everyone pick an exercise for the rest of us... might be easier sharing equipment that way, too.