CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 01-06-2014, 03:08 AM   #51
Bhupinder Khosa

Profile:
Re: Maximum Pushups: How did/do you do it?

This is pretty cool.

I did this around 2004/5 with a friend of mine. We would do a max set every day and then continue until we had done 150 in total (taking a 3-5 min rest between each attempt).

We did it as a race and updated each other on our max effort everyday. I started the challenge doing around 45-50 pushups and it took exactly 3 week to get 100 in one go.

I didn't feel like I was overtraining but I was young!

Did the above in addition to my usual workouts/sports activity.
Old 01-06-2014, 05:49 AM   #52
Richard Macaulay

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiel Stuart View Post
I haven't seen the Armstrong program before but I have started pullups again, a max set every second day. It was a good call you made about balancing push and pull as a couple of people had commented that I was starting to look hunched over when I was just doing pushups. I'm at 12 pronated (palms facing away for those who don't know) pullups, with a previous PB of 14, so I'm expecting to be back there within a couple of months. My goal is 15 which I'm very confident I can achieve. For whatever reason I seem to be able to achieve a good standard of pullups a lot easier than I can pushups.
Pullups are more beneficial for other lifts as well. A during shoulder girdle will help support a heavy bar (squatting etc).

I am seeing that a string posterior chain is making a huge difference to our rugby players. Everyone wants to work on the 'push' moves to build the chest etc, but without a strong pull you can never be that strong.

Richard
Old 01-07-2014, 06:30 AM   #53
Eric Coulson

Profile:

Reading this thread makes me want to bust out a set of 50 push-ups right now! 3-2-1 GO!

Old 01-07-2014, 05:38 PM   #54
Dylan Farr

Profile:

I followed Martin Rooney's metric of 100 in 4 minutes. I thought no problem. Wrong. Just like CrossFit WOD some strategy needs to be applied. 25 per minute, recover on the minute again. Very hard. Im up to 121, with the last rep going for max.

Ill say body mass matters too. Im 225+ and my main movement is push ups but I cant run through them like the 140lbr's I train Muay Thai with. But then they cant deadlift near 3 times their respective bodyweight.

Instead of max volume I do them into a burpee compound movement. Because of my fighting and surfing protecting my shoulders matters, and even with excellent form implied they get faded.

Cool thread interesting to see what people are doing
Old 01-07-2014, 08:52 PM   #55
Stanley Walter

Profile:

Needless to say other kinds of endurance work will result in a better max. I haven't done pushups in months, and I've been focusing more on my squat and deadlift the past 6 months, but because of work, which involves a lot of lifting and moving of boxes, I'm able to crank out 40 pushups at a shot pretty easily.

Beyond that I'm toast though. Used to hate doing them. Now I love them.
Old 01-09-2014, 12:27 AM   #56
Dylan Farr

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanley Walter View Post
Needless to say other kinds of endurance work will result in a better max. I haven't done pushups in months, and I've been focusing more on my squat and deadlift the past 6 months, but because of work, which involves a lot of lifting and moving of boxes, I'm able to crank out 40 pushups at a shot pretty easily.

Beyond that I'm toast though. Used to hate doing them. Now I love them.
Whats your weight & PR? 40 is healthy. I did a month were tried 350 a day in 25 reps, for a 10k month. I did it but it was pretty horrible. But considering Herschel Walker would do that a day, im a bish lol Even with solid coached form they got to my AC compartment and shoulders. Arms grew a bunch though

I do all my burpees strict with push ups but obviously keeps my times slow[er]
Old 01-09-2014, 11:36 AM   #57
Stanley Walter

Profile:

I'm currently at 240lbs. PR is 50? Not even sure. I worked up to 50 a few years ago.

I could bang out 50 now if I were in the right frame of mind.
Old 01-09-2014, 12:53 PM   #58
Richard Macaulay

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan Farr View Post
Whats your weight & PR? 40 is healthy. I did a month were tried 350 a day in 25 reps, for a 10k month. I did it but it was pretty horrible. But considering Herschel Walker would do that a day, im a bish lol Even with solid coached form they got to my AC compartment and shoulders. Arms grew a bunch though

I do all my burpees strict with push ups but obviously keeps my times slow[er]
I could imagine that your arms, chest and shoulders would grow but you would have to take your time and build it slowly. Big congrats to you for hitting the 10k, but I'm guessing if you ventured into high rep work again you'd start with a smaller month one target .. Maybe 5k in month one, 7.5k month two, 10k month three etc. Might be a way to introduce volume without hurting.

Whatever my month target of pushups was/is id make sure I was hitting half or three quarters of that number with pull-ups/chin ups.

Would be interesting to see the physiological responsed if someone took that on eg:

Month one - 5k pushups, 2.5k pull-ups
Month two - 8k pushups, 4k pull-ups
Month three - 10k pushups, 5k pullups

Richard

Richard
Old 01-09-2014, 11:14 PM   #59
Dylan Farr

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanley Walter View Post
I'm currently at 240lbs. PR is 50? Not even sure. I worked up to 50 a few years ago.

I could bang out 50 now if I were in the right frame of mind.
Damn thats solid Stanley Im 223 right now, that would be a solid # for me to get at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Macaulay View Post
I could imagine that your arms, chest and shoulders would grow but you would have to take your time and build it slowly. Big congrats to you for hitting the 10k, but I'm guessing if you ventured into high rep work again you'd start with a smaller month one target .. Maybe 5k in month one, 7.5k month two, 10k month three etc. Might be a way to introduce volume without hurting.

Whatever my month target of pushups was/is id make sure I was hitting half or three quarters of that number with pull-ups/chin ups.

Would be interesting to see the physiological responsed if someone took that on eg:

Month one - 5k pushups, 2.5k pull-ups
Month two - 8k pushups, 4k pull-ups
Month three - 10k pushups, 5k pullups

Richard

Richard
Ive always done pushup and even when I started CrossFit did burpees strict [pushup] when into high volume Ill do them without. Muscle adaptation and the CNS responding to bigger capacity I think happens. Ive done pushups my whole life for my dad giving me crap for no chest and my surfing which Ive done for over 30 years. Pushup, Squat and pull ups. We dont need weight its right there. Good #'s on the pushups guys. Next month Im gonna redux the 10k club. Again Hershel Walker would do 3k a day and apparently thats no legend its true #beast
Old 01-10-2014, 10:47 AM   #60
Stanley Walter

Profile:

It isn't that hard to do. I wouldn't even focus solely on pushups either. There are a lot of other lifts and movements that can help you as well.

At some point a lot of it is just muscle endurance, and not necessarily strength, so where a 350# bench is a great number, it won't necessarily translate into 100 pushups at a shot.

I think that is why I suddenly have such a good PR without trying. Because my job has required me to lift, lift, lift stuff all day, everyday for about 2 years now, and I've simply just built the upper body endurance to have a good pushup PR.