CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 04-15-2013, 03:14 PM   #1
Jo Hsu

Profile:
Back stretches after lower back tweak during deadlift?

This morning, I tried for a new Deadlift 5RM and stupidly pulled when I should have just given up... I felt a pop towards the top of the lift and dropped the weight immediately. I've been to the doctor and (*knock on wood*) he said it looks like there's no nerve damage, but I'm pretty shaken up by the whole thing. I've always been a bit scared of deadlifting heavy, and I really want to make sure I don't make this situation worse... The doctor said stretching was a good idea-- I was wondering if you guys had suggestions for good stretches that might help recovery?
Old 04-15-2013, 03:27 PM   #2
William Garrett

Profile:
Re: Back stretches after lower back tweak during deadlift?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo Hsu View Post
This morning, I tried for a new Deadlift 5RM and stupidly pulled when I should have just given up... I felt a pop towards the top of the lift and dropped the weight immediately. I've been to the doctor and (*knock on wood*) he said it looks like there's no nerve damage, but I'm pretty shaken up by the whole thing. I've always been a bit scared of deadlifting heavy, and I really want to make sure I don't make this situation worse... The doctor said stretching was a good idea-- I was wondering if you guys had suggestions for good stretches that might help recovery?
I didnt see where you said you were in any pain or discomfort? You only mentioned a pop and your visit to the doctor. Not quite sure what your trying to recover from?

Your body is under alot of load, spinal, muscle-skeletal, joints etc. Stuff will make noises when lifting heavy, especially if your not going heavy all the time. Obviously you did hear a pop and was a cause for concern and stopped.

I assume you worked up to a solid working 5RM before pushing the envelope? I do a light row, foam roll, bar hangs, hip flexor strecthes, hamstring & quad stretches before/after a heavy DL sessions.
M/35/5'10@190lbs/L1 -- Squat 420, FS 325, DL 520, Press 215, Bench 315, 5k Row 19:30

Last edited by William Garrett; 04-15-2013 at 03:30 PM..
Old 04-15-2013, 03:40 PM   #3
Jo Hsu

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Garrett View Post
I didnt see where you said you were in any pain or discomfort? You only mentioned a pop and your visit to the doctor. Not quite sure what your trying to recover from?

Your body is under alot of load, spinal, muscle-skeletal, joints etc. Stuff will make noises when lifting heavy, especially if your not going heavy all the time. Obviously you did hear a pop and was a cause for concern and stopped.

I assume you worked up to a solid working 5RM before pushing the envelope? I do a light row, foam roll, bar hangs, hip flexor strecthes, hamstring & quad stretches before/after a heavy DL sessions.
Oh I'm sorry, I don't know how I missed that detail. My lower back is rather sore, and I feel soreness in my hips and in my right leg. I'm icing the lower back in regular intervals...
Old 04-15-2013, 04:15 PM   #4
Joshua Biernacki

Profile:

I have a hand out that I would be willing to share.

Email me garagegymjunkie@gmail.com
Old 04-15-2013, 04:38 PM   #5
William Garrett

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo Hsu View Post
Oh I'm sorry, I don't know how I missed that detail. My lower back is rather sore, and I feel soreness in my hips and in my right leg. I'm icing the lower back in regular intervals...
No problem!

Any loss of control of weakness in your leg(s)? I would also try some heat in intervals as well, this works well on muscles sometimes especially lower back. I know it works for me

I would also stretch

check (LINK is GTG) for a good amount of stretches
www.mobilitywod.com
M/35/5'10@190lbs/L1 -- Squat 420, FS 325, DL 520, Press 215, Bench 315, 5k Row 19:30
Old 04-15-2013, 05:14 PM   #6
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Reverse Hyper type stuff. Even if you don't have access to one and can only do it with BW. Go slow. Used these a lot after I hurt my back twice in 2010. Didn't have a hyper so I layed on a block and held onto PB.

Another is to hang from rings and do straddle swings. These seem really good for loosening up my hips and lower back. Pikey swings on rings or PB work ok too.

Bench works alright as well but you might have to bend your knees which is fine.

Sometimes I like one leg deadlifts with a DB to work on my right hip/lower back QDR pain.

Besides that I like to lay on my back and do leg swings from side to across my body almost into a scorpion stretch and I will do wipers with bent or straight legs as well as laying on my back and doing a double leg circle ( I arch my lumbar and I find this loosens up that tightness sometimes popping that QDR ).

The last thing I do is what they call snaking your lower back. Kinda odd looking, since it basically looks like your humping the floor. Sometimes loosens up my back.
Old 04-15-2013, 05:54 PM   #7
Jo Hsu

Profile:

Wow, Blair, thanks for all the suggestions. Forgive my ignorance, but what does PB stand for?
Old 04-15-2013, 07:41 PM   #8
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

ParallelBars.
Old 04-16-2013, 02:28 AM   #9
Siomon Witt

Profile:

I think you should take advise from a professional Chiropractor :---
Old 04-16-2013, 09:10 AM   #10
William Garrett

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siomon Witt View Post
I think you should take advise from a professional Chiropractor :---

Welcome, nice 1st post