CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 11-21-2012, 08:37 AM   #11
Clint Harris

Profile:
Re: Warm up before WOD

jezzus Andre, perhaps there's a typo or I misunderstand ... but under 3:30 for 1000m is a workout ... and one that I don't think many can achieve.

Anyway. I like rowing for a warmup too ... I usually keep it to a dull roar and row 500m. I'll probably start slow, then maybe bust out 100m, then slow it down again. There is no time I target ... just get moving.
The main thing for me in a warmup is not what I do, it's how I feel. It's simply about finding out if my body works and increasing my temperature a bit. I do not have to sweat, and I don't wear a t-shirt that says "my warm-up is the other guys workout".

I also do shoulder rolls and legs swings. Then roll my ankles. I'll also do a few squats and sit and the bottom of a few for a while - like a minute - and work side to side. Some band stretches, maybe a samson stretch. I like to do a stretch where I hold a plank, then move one foot up to beside my hands (stretch), now move the other up (in a squat with hands on ground) and stand up. Then repeat alternating the first leg I bring up. There's always something clicking and clunking when I do this. Feels good.

Our gym will also post some warm-ups where we skin the cat, do 10 pull ups, a bunch of situps, some wall balls and then repeat. I don't always do it and sometimes I'll scale like do jumping pull-ups instead. It changes all the time and is a guideline. I do my staples and then hit that .. but not always. A lot of the time it's a row, or a 800m run.
For the run, I'll usually jog out the 400m just as a loosener, stop and stretch a bit where the kinks are, then run back a bit faster to get the heart rate up.

I'll also make sure I get some accuracy into my warm up too. Oly lifts are self-explanatory. but it's for other exercises. Like it there's toes-to-bars in the wod, I'll get a few of those in to remember how to do it. Same with box jumps - go and dial-in my form for a few jumps. Wall Balls, I'll grab a ball and do a few to get my timing and accuracy in. Stuff like that.

Last edited by Clint Harris; 11-21-2012 at 08:39 AM..
Old 11-21-2012, 12:32 PM   #12
Jon Hanover

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Zell View Post
As a newbie to Crossfit I have a question; what type of warm up is completed before the WOD? Your guidance is greatly appreciated.
Rowing, mobility - anything that can get the blood flowing into those tough spots is great.

A few reps of bodyweight movements... pull ups, push ups, lunges, air squats... arm swings, wrist rotations, leg swings...
Old 11-21-2012, 09:33 PM   #13
Andre J Gordon-Ruddell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint Harris View Post
jezzus Andre, perhaps there's a typo or I misunderstand ... but under 3:30 for 1000m is a workout ... and one that I don't think many can achieve.
Nar that's right, and our machines need to be cleaned. But yes 3 mins and 30 sec is my usual timing. not rolling on floor laughing, but rolling trying to breath.
Old 11-22-2012, 12:07 AM   #14
Nicholas Ferrara

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre J Gordon-Ruddell View Post
Our warm up is 1000m row under 3:30s and then we stretch out our muscles that he has watched us use over our first coupe of lessons. For me its my shoulders and hips when others its backs and what ever. He tailored our dynamic stretchers to us, then its into our strength. Or for me I'm now starting to practice the first half of a kipp.

I wouldn't make it to a 1000m row without a rest period....
Old 11-22-2012, 01:29 AM   #15
Steve Loeding

Profile:

every one is different - thus everyone should have a different warm up - if you're doing cleans and snatches then rowing is a great warm up... you have to focus on what is tight on you (shoulders, hips, calves, lats, etc) and focus on that to get loose - depending on the wod

Fran - hips and shoulders

Snatches - totally different - ability to hold weight overhead - thus shoulder and hip mobility
Old 11-22-2012, 07:09 AM   #16
Rob Darden

Profile:

I usually do some foam rolling then a 1000m row around 4:30. Then I will warm up with what ever movements that will be in the workout.
Old 11-22-2012, 07:28 AM   #17
Selby Brighton

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas Ferrara View Post
Today's warm up at my box was

200 meter run

3 rounds of 7 of the following

Sit ups
Hip extensions or Superman's
Air Squats
Push ups

Perfect stretch, each leg

20 PVC "Arm Stretch" I forget what they are called, you grip a PVC pipe like a barbell and move it from your arms hanging in front to behind your back, feels good.

I am new to this, and I was gassed after Warmups. Luckily today before the WOD we worked on Squats, 5 X 5, no time, so I had time to catch my breath. My cardiovascular system needs some help big time.

wo wo . . . start with the stretch man ! Im carry a really painful injury at the moment from NOT doing that. it should be at least 5 mins stretching first then warm up doing the other stuff.
Old 11-22-2012, 08:11 AM   #18
Michael Zell

Profile:

Thanks for the guidance. CF is an amazing total body workout. I love this site and the discussion board, what a great resource. Happy Thanksgiving to all.
Old 11-24-2012, 11:42 AM   #19
Nicholas Ferrara

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selby Brighton View Post
wo wo . . . start with the stretch man ! Im carry a really painful injury at the moment from NOT doing that. it should be at least 5 mins stretching first then warm up doing the other stuff.
Oh, we all kind of stretch out while waiting on everybody to get to class, I use the stretch at the end to cool down before strength training and then the WOD. Our warm ups do feel like other peoples work outs. This morning we were watching the trainer write the warm up and wondering when he was going to stop writing, even the people that are in shape.

I always grab a PVC pipe and put it behind my shoulders and bend over, I am not sure what it is called, but I have to do that a few times before I run.

When the 12 minute AMRAP WOD was over today I just dropped my weights and fell to the ground, eyes closed. When I opened them everyone else was lying on the ground, I felt better at that point.
Old 11-24-2012, 02:18 PM   #20
Joshua Biernacki

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Zell View Post
As a newbie to Crossfit I have a question; what type of warm up is completed before the WOD? Your guidance is greatly appreciated.
On http://www.GarageGymJunkie.Blogspot.com there was video artivles written about Warm Ups and Crossfit. Also on the GarageGymJunkie Youtube.com Channel.