CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 01-02-2005, 11:58 AM   #1
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:
I've tried the Warrior Diet for the last two weeks and somehow managed to gain 8 pounds in that time. The author is Ori Hofmeckler and his theory is to undereat throughout the day and overeat at night. He goes into some caveman and hunter/gatherer stuff, how it balances out your insulin levels and that sort of thing and points out how tired we get after a big meal. It takes a lot of energy to digest food and that can fatigue you in the middle of the day. Ori wonders why anyone would want to graze all day.

I have an answer for Ori...SO I'M NOT FRIGGIN STARVING ALL DAY. If I thought I was on my way to a Bruce Lee set of abs, if my energy levels were thorugh the roof and if my body weight didn't take a sudding trip upwards, I might consider suffering through the hunger. Maybe two weeks isn't enough of a test but if all I have to look forward to is more weight gain and continued hunger...I'll just go back to my normal healthy as I can manage eating habits.

Anybody else try this with better success than me? I'm 5' 11" and 174 pounds this morning and I train very regularly. Eating more seems to work better for me.
Old 01-02-2005, 12:33 PM   #2
Paul Theodorescu

Profile:
Isn't being hungry after a few hours without food a sign of insulin resistance?

I never consciously did the warrior diet it just happened naturally during the school year. I actually felt no hunger at all during the fasting period.

Since doing Crossfit I've been eating several times a day just because I can't swallow a ton of protein in one meal (it's too satiating).
Old 01-02-2005, 12:42 PM   #3
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
I think the Warrior diet was the lowest rated diet on T-Nation. One of those sounds good in theory not in practice things.
Old 01-02-2005, 12:55 PM   #4
John Justin Syvrud

Profile:

This is one of those subjects that fall under the "everybody is different" category. Plenty of reviews on the DD forum if you want to check those out. I did the WD for a while. Lost too much muscle but did like the feeling of not needing or really wanting food that came after the 1st week. If I did not care about my perfomance on WOD's I probably would still continue it, as I think the whole calorie restriction would benefit your health.
Old 01-02-2005, 04:31 PM   #5
Robert Wolf

Profile:
I think Ori has some good points and one can approach an intermittent fasting program which makes a lot more senes:

Stop eating in the evening on a given day at say 5pm and fast until around 3-4pm the following day. Eat 2-3 meals that evening and then 5 meals the next day before 5pm. Repeat.

Animal models which have followed this program have produced as good or better results than did caloric restriction adequate nutrition (CRAN) but the intermittent fasting had the advantage of no loss in muscle mass.

Robb
Old 01-02-2005, 05:07 PM   #6
Michael Pearce

Profile:
The only problem with that is animals don't work out. I am a Falconer and my Hawk can go a week without eating and lose very little muscle, because she will conserve her muscle for the hunt. The problem is that animals move to eat; hunt, and graze. They don't go out and run for exercise like we do.
Old 01-02-2005, 08:06 PM   #7
Nic Nakis

Profile:
For me, constant grazing is the key. It has kept my weight down and my energy up. I can handle occassional large meals, but small meals and snacks throughout the day are the key. They say a lot about this in Paleo Diet and the Protein Power books, it's beneficial for your insulin receptors not to have that huge meal blood sugar overload.
Old 01-02-2005, 08:10 PM   #8
William Hunter

Profile:
I've tried the WD previously. I thought it worked well through the holiday period, when there were frequent parties and big meals at night. I usually stayed at my current weight, or dropped a pound or two, from Nov. 1 to Jan. 1. The hardest part for me was training myself to workout on such an empty stomach.

I've also experimented with fasting for 24-36 hours, one day a week. I used to do it on Mondays. Now that I'm following the WOD, I might try it again, when we get our rest day.
Old 01-06-2005, 01:17 PM   #9
Steve Shafley

Profile:
With some modifications it took me from ~270 to ~250 in a short period of time, with no strength losses and little muscle loss.

The modifications were these:

2-3 food protein meals during the day
7:00AM-breakfast: 2 egg omelet with cheese
9:30AM-snack 1: beef jerky or tuna
3:00PM-snack 2: some good quality lunchmeat

An apple and some whey protein 1/2 hour before training(~10:30 AM)

A protein shake (protein, water, EFAs) and an apple immediately after training (~12:30-1:00 PM)

1 big meal consisting of a big salad, with a lot of assorted vegetables, tossing in malt vinegar and olive oil, and a lot of meat protein. (~6:00PM)

I was training using the Westside Barbell template, and including 2 session a week of about half hour of sled dragging.

So, that kind of diet worked well for me.
Old 01-10-2005, 02:21 PM   #10
Tyler Hass

Profile:
The big selling point of the Warrior Diet is that it eliminates the need to feed all day, which gives you more freedom to do other thing. If you look at the number of vitamins and other supplements that Ori recommends taking during the day, you would question the notion of freedom.
Also, the undereating/overeating distinction isn't drawn too clearly. I take it to mean less than 30% of your caloric intake should occur during the undereating phase. This is probably not far off from what most people do anyways. But if you get to around 10%, then I think you have a novel concept. The only question is whether this approach works in the real world. I would point out the clinical experience of Barry Sears and Coach as strong evidence in favor of the Zone Diet and distributed caloric loading. There are far more elite performers and Olympians on their side than on the other. This isn't proof, but it compels me to lean towards their camp until Ori Hofmekler produces some elite performers. It's been 4 years now...
A good example would be the Stanford swim team. After a decade of consistent but not spectactular results, they switched to the Zone Diet. After the switch, they dominated collegiate swimming and produced a disproportionate amount of Olympians for a decade. Has anyone here read "Good to Great"? I think the Zone Diet passes the Good to Great criteria.

Tyler