CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 07-29-2008, 12:42 PM   #1
Christian Groenveld

Profile:
Lower Back Injury and Back Extensions

I tweaked my lower back about two weeks ago from deadlifting and I'm still in a little discomfort. I think it's musculature based on other threads I've read and I've slowly been getting better and it's been loosening up through stretching.

My question is, are back extensions advisable to start building some strength back up in my lower back, or should I wait until I'm 100%? I've been resting from any crossfit type of training since the injury, but my core just feels weak and I thought hyper-extensions may speed up the recovery process.
Old 07-29-2008, 03:46 PM   #2
Brandon Hopkins

Profile:
Re: Lower Back Injury and Back Extensions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Groenveld View Post
I tweaked my lower back about two weeks ago from deadlifting and I'm still in a little discomfort. I think it's musculature based on other threads I've read and I've slowly been getting better and it's been loosening up through stretching.

My question is, are back extensions advisable to start building some strength back up in my lower back, or should I wait until I'm 100%? I've been resting from any crossfit type of training since the injury, but my core just feels weak and I thought hyper-extensions may speed up the recovery process.
I know theres a post here with someone with the same thing and Rippetoe came out with a guide to building strength back...Give me a few minutes, i'll edit if I can find it.

Edit: K it's not quite what i thought it was, this is towards muscle belly injuries, but maybe the idea of how to do reps is similiar...Maybe if someone else can provide some light

http://www.************.net/forum/showthread.php?t=700 W/F/S

Last edited by Brandon Hopkins; 07-29-2008 at 03:52 PM..
Old 07-29-2008, 03:51 PM   #3
Joe Agliozzo

Profile:

http://************.net/forum/showthread.php?t=700 w/f/s

BTW, I have a lower back/hip issue that's been bugging me for months, and the routine described along with doing about 100 unweighted good mornings a day has really helped. I just do sets of 15 throughout the day, doing as much depth as I can tolerate (not making pain worse). I have slowly gotten to almost full range of motion with almost no pain.

Here's another useful link (originally on this board, I believe) - http://ditillo2.blogspot.com/2008/06...ill-starr.html w/f/s

Last edited by Joe Agliozzo; 07-29-2008 at 04:01 PM..
Old 08-19-2008, 05:57 PM   #4
Adam Kayce

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Groenveld View Post
I tweaked my lower back about two weeks ago from deadlifting and I'm still in a little discomfort. I think it's musculature based on other threads I've read...
Dude, I thought I had the same thing... but a friend who's an acupuncturist checked me out and said 'disc'. I looked at disc threads, and sure enough, the pain I was feeling in my a-- cheek and calf are disc-related, not musculature.

Be sure - I kept on working it, doing the Rip protocol, for a week and a half before I found out. Would've been easy to hurt it worse, if I wasn't lucky.

Rule out disc problems, and then proceed. Them's my $.02.
Old 09-05-2008, 09:34 AM   #5
Scott Jenkins

Profile:

On this thread i see described two kinds of lower back injuries, one being the disc injury and the other is the muscle belly. Neither of these seem to be the sensation I am getting. I have no numbness or pain down my legs which you would associate with the disc /nerve damage and I also do not have the continuous pain of a muscle belly injury. I could deadlift heavy for multiple reps and then all of a sudden I get a pain at the start of the negative which slightly winds me , then the pain goes away. Its very confusing. The pain is lower back /upper glute area and does not feel specific to the spine. Anyone experience anything similar or have any advice?
Fran 3:19. Diane 2:49. Elizabeth 5:48. Cindy 26+21. Helen 7:50. JT 7:03. Grace 1.56
www.crossfitblackwater.com
Old 09-05-2008, 10:16 AM   #6
Patrick Haskell

Profile:

I have no answer, Scott, but I've got the same thing. I did it by squatting poorly - first in June, when a week off plus another week off from squatting did the trick - the second time a week ago, after which I took a few days off and for the last two days have been taking it easy on the posterior chain, avoiding squats, DLs, cleans, etc, working my way back slowly. Tomorrow, I try to run. My guess is that it's muscular (based on the super tender point in my upper buttocks and the suspicion that the low-back tightness is simply connective tissue that is stressed by that hurt muscle), but if it doesn't go away, I'm definitely seeing a doc about the back, since this is similar, but much less severe, to what has laid out my dad, brother, and sister on occasion.
Old 09-05-2008, 10:23 AM   #7
Scott Jenkins

Profile:

Yes that sounds very similar, I too have kept away from Back Squats (front squat is fine), Deadlifts and all heavy movements starting from the ground. I also have a suspicion that the two bones that protrude about an inch either side of your spine at the bottom of the back (how unknowledgeable does that sound) are something to do with my pain. I was kicking a ball about six months ago and really smashed one of these enough to cause it to bleed. Maybe scar tissue build up from that knock. Hope your back heals fast Patrick and good luck with the muscle up.
Fran 3:19. Diane 2:49. Elizabeth 5:48. Cindy 26+21. Helen 7:50. JT 7:03. Grace 1.56
www.crossfitblackwater.com