CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 10-02-2006, 03:28 PM   #1
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
What's the most creative equipment that you have used and for what kind of workouts? (outside mostly) for example:
Basketballs with sand for slamming
Sandbags for lifting
Big truck tires for flipping
Rope to big tire for pulling
Homemade Rings/Bar for pushups and pullups
etc.....
Old 10-02-2006, 03:57 PM   #2
Frank Menendez

Profile:
4 month old baby for thrusters

j/k :D
Old 10-02-2006, 04:15 PM   #3
David Sailor

Profile:
I'm in the process of making a 2" fatbar, 7' long. Got 1.5" inside diameter iron pipe from HD, using regular collars for the inside and spin collars for the outside. Also making a 2" rolling pullup bar. Again using the 1.5" iron pipe, ordered some pillow blocks to mount the pipe in. The outside measurment of the pipe is just shy of 2", about 1.9". BTW, neither of these ideas are original, I merely searched and searched and pulled the info off the www. David
Old 10-02-2006, 05:18 PM   #4
Sam Cannons

Profile:
I had an old coppers log left over from a wooden dummy. I screwed some handles in to it and used it for pressing and two person farmers walks.
Old 10-02-2006, 05:40 PM   #5
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
Frank...I'm thinking clean up after thrusters can not be too much fun....
Old 10-03-2006, 06:46 AM   #6
Jon Gilson

Profile:
About a year ago, I headed to my local Gold's Gym to give Cindy a shot. It was Sunday, and they were inexplicably closed at 6:00 p.m. I walked around Fenway Park, looking for something, anything to do pull-ups on. Everything was either too close to the ground or way too high. Then, I stumbled into the Landmark parking garage.

I found a 4" drain pipe just low enough to jump and grab, and a piece of 1" aluminum tubing that worked for the CrossFit Warmup.

I only managed 12 rounds, my hands covered in soot and grime from who knows how many years of car exhaust. But I got it done.

The thing I love most about CrossFit is the creativity it inspires. Who needs a hack-squat machine when a few fittings and straps will do just as well?

Best,

Jon
Old 10-03-2006, 09:13 AM   #7
Michael Ledney

Profile:
For Helen we regularly use the soccer goal for pullups. The track is around the soccer field so it just makes sense.

I've done GTG pullups pretty frequently here at work in the parking garage using the sprinkler pipes. That's gonna cost me one day, I never do it in the same spot, but how long is that gonna last.
Old 10-03-2006, 09:23 AM   #8
Allen Yeh

Profile:
b{4 month old baby for thrusters}

My 15 month old son loves being my "weight" for thrusters. Granted I try to make it a little less explosive, my wife might be a little PO'ed if I gave him whiplash! :crutch00:
Old 10-03-2006, 10:54 AM   #9
Chris Barclay

Profile:
A towel, draped round the ladder to my loft for PU's (left in the loft while I hang to the floor below).
Worked for months.
Old 10-03-2006, 12:16 PM   #10
John Milgram

Profile:
Here's a few from my driveway, or for a trip to the park or schoolyard:

Five foot length of 3" ID iron pipe, ends capped. Weighs about 45 pounds. Good for high-rep OH Squats, Front Squats, Lunging, Thrusters, etc. Could also be tossed without damage, I think. Very hard to grip and stabilize; don't drop it on your leg. Yes, I did this. No, I have not filled it with sand or water. Yet.

Two 200 ounce plastic jugs that once held Tide Detergent. Filled with sand and water. Each weighs about 28 pounds. Good for Lunge Walking, Thrusters, Uphill Carrying, Sprints, etc. Neighbors and passers-by likely to notice the bright orange color. Expect funny looks or comments, or use Cheer brand detergent, which comes in dark blue.

Two plastic five gallon pails, full of sand. Each weighs about 70 pounds. Each pail has a four inch piece of 1-1/4" ID PVC hack-sawed lengthwise (one slice) and fitted over the handles for a fat grip. Good for Tabata Farmers Walks in the driveway, or at the park. Put an iron plate on the lid for extra work.

Make a big loop of rope, thread it through ~32" of 1-1/4" PVC and adjust the loop so as to attach to the rafters in the garage, the underside of football grandstands, baseball backstops, fire escape stairs or a tree branch. For Pullups, especially Jumping. Instead of buying PVC, save a buck and use a length of busted carbon-fiber hockey stick from the trashcan at your local rink.

Get thirty feet of 5/16" chain, sold as a unit at Home Depot. Cost is just under $2 per foot. Cut (at the store) into fifteen foot segments. Each segment then doubled over twice. Ends and middle linked with locking rings. Each twice-doubled segment is hung from a standard bar (not an O-bar) using a $4 pipe-leak clamp, locking rings and a short piece of rope. A bungee cord would work, too. Set it so the chains barely touch ground when the bar is on the shoulders. Chains are 21 pounds each. Plates used to supplement the chains. Useful for Tabata Squats, Good Mornings, Front Squats, Thrusters, Military Press, etc.

Next time your neighbor cuts down a tree get a length of the trunk or a branch that's a manageable diameter for Log Flips.

Cull a piece of deadwood from the woods at the park, cut it with a saw as needed and leave it where you can get to it.

Schoolyard bike racks can be used for Thrusters and Front Squats, if they are not bolted down. Get under one end and start working.

Future project is to make a dragging sled out of a plastic, disc-type, kids' snow sled. Probably to be weighted with sandbags. Or big rocks, if I go to the park by the ravine.

What else??