CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 12-09-2006, 09:40 PM   #11
Travis Loest

Profile:
On a note for the mp3 player, I went through two of them over there. I ended up with a flash memory unit one instead of a mini-hard drive. I had an ipod 40gb, and a samsung 6gb both crap out on me. I then got a iriver 1gb unit and it's been great. I'd like to have more storage, I've got about 15gb of music but they don't make flash drive players that big yet. on the same note if she isn't moving around too much it shouldn't be a big issue. the movies and dvd's may be a good idea depending on where she is going. where I was located I was able to purchase them there for rediculous prices. like all six seasons of the sopranos for $28, for the wife. all five of the family guy for $20 for my daughter. but it really depends on where she will be going. books are always good if she likes to read.
Old 12-12-2006, 03:51 PM   #12
Carla Freund McDonald

Profile:
Elite rings are certainly great...if she will use them. Will she? If not, a few other ideas...when I was there, I slept on a cot for 6 months...a small blowup matress was awesome. I also got a tiny down pillow from REI that was super light and great when I travelled around Iraq...which was a lot. A good headlamp is VERY helpful in the tent for nights when you need to get stuff but others are sleeping - allows her to use her hands. Fast drying towels (again, REI). Everything else mentioned above is great, assuming you know her interests. Also, if she goes, ask her if she knows if she is going to be more mobile over there or stable...this is largely determined by the job. This may help you with some ideas.
Old 12-13-2006, 06:25 AM   #13
Matt Smiley

Profile:
Because there's so much uncertainty about where she'll be, what will be available, and whether she'll even go in the first place, we're just going to get her a gift cert at a local sporting goods store. That way, if she ends up needing a camelpack, a headlamp, or a more comfortable mattress, she can pick one up and if she doesn't get deployed, she can buy fun stuff. Thanks all for your suggestions!