CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 10-06-2006, 08:51 AM   #21
Chris Kemp

Profile:
What an awesome idea!! Thanks for posting that Carla.

Cheers, kempie
Old 10-06-2006, 08:55 AM   #22
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:
Oustanding ideas here! Carla, or any "big hitters", instead of 2x4's for the uprights try using galvanized pipe and a few elbows.

(Message edited by vgcarp on October 06, 2006)
Old 10-06-2006, 09:18 AM   #23
Arden Cogar Jr.

Profile:
My personal favorites

1. Thrusters with my kids. Can't do it with my 9 year old anymore. haven't tried it with my six year old for about a year.
2. Weighted pushups with my kids. Can still do both kids.
3. Pull up holds with my kids. At one time I could do pullups with my eldest. But that stopped when she got over 70 pounds.
4. I call it the "Boosifelt" stone carry - which is carrying my six year old body double (poor little girl) who's 4'1" and weighs 90 pounds (she curled a 25 pound dumbell over the summer and pressed it; she also farmers walked a cooler full of ice so she could get in the back of my pick up - I reckon the darn thing weighed 150lbs - she's wicked strong).
5. Boosifelt yoke walk - involves a clean and press of my six year old and putting her on my shoulders. I can normally carry her for about 20 minutes before my shoulders feel like they're at my hips.

As I'm building my home gym I'm thinking of lots of stuff to include my little ones. Just to get them into the physical fitness mindset. My eldest is not as keen, but my little one could be a serious powerlifter/olympic lifter/strong woman someday. They'll both woodchop for sure.....
Old 10-06-2006, 09:27 AM   #24
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:
Boosifelt yoke walk! So that's what I've been doing all this time?! It's more of a thruster though. It's getting more dificult as they get taller while my arms remain the same.
Old 10-06-2006, 09:44 AM   #25
Carla Freund McDonald

Profile:
Veronica,

Yah, the pipe would be good to go. Did you use pipe for the base on the stand as well? I had thought about welding some angle iron together, but thought these would be more easily destroyed in my absence (and I would've needed instruction on the welder). My Dad (a 75-year-old rancher) said (with a smile), "What are you going to do with those things, Carla? We've got plenty of things to lift around here." I said, "No worries, they'll be gone when I am...you'll never know they existed!"

Fiona - good to see your stuff, sister. Hope all is well down under.
Old 10-06-2006, 09:50 AM   #26
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:
Carla, havaen't actually built one. I just thought the pipe would be a little more sturdy. Someone else here may have built one using all pipe.
Old 10-07-2006, 02:35 AM   #27
Constantine Chichireen

Profile:
Most creative pice of equipment ,
I use three thigns that might qualify for creative:

I hooked a chest expandor to a door in my room near my bed and I can use it for rowing

I also hooked dumbells to jump rope handles . and the result was a heavy dumbell rope that worked most of the muscles used to lift the handles up and foreward , got very fast progress in it I hope I can do dubble unders with the 3.75KG dbs soon that would be awesome

Also I'm making home made travaling rings from a think metal wire (the one that they use in power lines I don't know basicly you can make a ring out from it and be vert durable) some chains and springs so I can do swings on it, I'll probably make about 5 pairs

p.s
I'm new to the boards... it seems many people use thier real names instead of nicknames in here , I didn't know that , anyway I hope to be a part of the community here..