CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 10-03-2006, 05:28 PM   #11
Don Stevenson

Profile:
Using kids for thrusters is fine.

Just don't use them for wall ball:sorry:
Old 10-04-2006, 04:50 AM   #12
Jake Thompson

Profile:
John, that stuff is golden. I know what I am doing this weekend.

I use my 2.5 y.o daughter for thrusters all the time and she loves it.

Wall Ball LMAO.

I have a SUV tire that has an eyebolt screwed into it and a piece of mdf in the bottom to load with weight (sandbags or KBs) that I use for a sled. works great.

(Message edited by sjake77 on October 04, 2006)
Old 10-04-2006, 07:52 AM   #13
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:
John, I'm sure you won't mind if I cut and save that to my pc. Good stuff! ;)
Old 10-04-2006, 12:03 PM   #14
John Milgram

Profile:
Jake and Veronica - Thanks, and cut and save away! No IP claims laid here; just paying back for all the good info I've gotten from this board. I think there's less than $150 worth of materials in all that above, and that includes $60 for the chain and maybe $30 for the standard bar. (I bet a lot of us have one in the basement already.) Skip that part, and it's all cheap stuff with limited assembly involved, which is my favorite way to go.
Old 10-04-2006, 03:17 PM   #15
Jeremy Jones

Profile:
$10 swiss ball from Target filled with water. Talk about a squirly 'sand bag' alternative.

Old martial arts black belt threaded through 5 10lb plates makes a good kettlebell alternative for swings.

You can also tie extra weight to a bar to work on your max deadlifts when you don't have enough plates (I usually add my kb, and sandbag weights).

I chained my 1" dia threaded bar to the balcony above my apartment for pull ups when I first started CF.

I own rings, but I made my own with PVC and the directions on this site.

I use a plastic "deck box" (from Home Depot I think) to hold all my bumpers and for plyo box jumps (its about 22" and I'll lay a bumper or two on top for extra height when needed).

When traveling and staying in a hotel, I will fill up my suitcase with stuff and use it for thrusters, cleans, tabata front squats etc.

I am sure there is more but I can't remember them right now.

Old 10-04-2006, 08:10 PM   #16
Bradford Green

Profile:
I've got a 40 lb smooth rock for thrusters, a 30 lb kettlebell-shaped boat anchor for swings, and a sled made with the tray of an old wheelbarrow. I took the straps from a military backpack, padded them with duct tape, and cross them across my chest to pull. Works like a charm.
Old 10-05-2006, 04:18 AM   #17
Fiona Muxlow

Profile:
4 Rolls of half inch thick pink rubber held together by duct tape and ranging in weight from 20 to 40+lbs. Thrusters,cleans,carries pushpress any thing you can do with a sandbag or bar.They flex and move as you lift,
http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/26/31061.jpg
A swing set as a hoover ball net
http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/26/31062.jpg
Old 10-05-2006, 06:55 AM   #18
James R. Climer

Profile:
Fiona,

They don't call that a swingset anymore...

...it's a thick-handled high bar with optional swing attachments/ impediments.
Old 10-05-2006, 03:24 PM   #19
Jeremy Jones

Profile:
Has anyone tried making cheap lightweight bumpers from horse stall matts?

I was thinking you could sandwich one or a couple layers of horse stall matts in-between some plywood and bolt/screw the aparatus together. The plywood outer disks would be an inch or two smaller diameter than the rubber matts (which would be cut to the diameter of standard bumpers).

I would think each one would weigh between 5-10lbs. A great alternative when working with light weights since the large yellow squishy plates are no longer available.
Old 10-06-2006, 08:27 AM   #20
Carla Freund McDonald

Profile:
Homemade squat racks. I was up in N.Dak. for about six weeks on my parents' ranch and needed some squat racks fast and wanted to use materials I could dig up in the quancet.

I called 1-800-Mik-Burg. This is his brainchild and worked great for me: Two 5-gallon buckets, knotched 2x4s, and quickcrete to hold the 2x4s in place. I used a level, knotched them on top with the chain saw, cut them to a good height for me, and let them stand overnight. By the next morning I had two legit stands that I used for my squats, etc...

Pros: quick, easy, cheap, limited material, pretty darn stable.
Cons: Have to set in carefully

The max load I had on them was 80 kilos, but they still worked great. I used a level when I stuck the 2x4s in the pails and made sure I was set on level ground...they were very sturdy. To heighten them I just used bumper plates. I filled my buckets a little under 1/2 way with quickcrete...that seemed to work just fine. If I were going to put major loads on them, I might fill them all the way (if I were a big hitter).

Anyway, here are my pics for you. I am attaching one of my brother, Jason, who has Downs and is always ready to pitch in...we took turns mixing the quickcrete.

And just for the record, I didn't teach Jason to roll his jeans that way, when we were younger - I taught him to peg them!

http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/26/31133.jpghttp://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/26/31134.jpg