CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 08-25-2013, 06:35 PM   #21
Glenn Plomchok

Profile:
Re: If You Were to Start All Over Again......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert D Taylor Jr View Post
I would have spent more time addressing mobility, less time trying to have a good WOD time, rested more, avoided occasional moronic WODs and stopped further away from injury than I tend to. I would have treated all of this as a long event vs. a sprint.
Yup...
Old 08-26-2013, 05:05 AM   #22
Troy Kennedy

Profile:

Thanks so much everyone. This is all very helpful!
Old 08-26-2013, 09:54 AM   #23
Stanley Walter

Profile:

Learn the squat properly.

Focus more on diet.
Old 08-26-2013, 11:42 AM   #24
Jordan Derksen

Profile:

This may be the same as almost everyone elses replies but...

Spend a year or two years powerlifting on a program like TM or something and eating as much as I possibly can. Perfect the basic barbell lifts in a controlled strength environment as opposed to a rushed timed environment. Perfect my pull in the olympic lifts while powerlifting by only working the power versions.

Basically spend my time at the beginning getting as strong as possible and gaining as much muscle mass as I could. You can always lean out later.
Old 08-26-2013, 12:18 PM   #25
Brian Neal Carpenter

Profile:

Strength...Skill...Conditioning. All three, every day.
Old 08-26-2013, 08:42 PM   #26
Evelyn Scarborough

Profile:

Squat.... Low bar, high bar, front, some overhead in as many low-rep schemes (<10 per set) Mobility...gawd it makes moving easier and I feel so much better too. O-lifting skill work...hang clean/snatch, snatch balance, 2 and 3 position clean/snatch. I've made more progress overall in the past year doing these than in my first 5 years doing tons of kipping pull-ups, wall balls, etc.
Old 08-27-2013, 06:48 AM   #27
Jason A Smith

Profile:

I would have to concur with most of what was said above. I have made many mistakes from starting to now. One of the biggest was trying to follow mainpage from the start with no background in lifting......at all. Honestly never had much choice. Some of what I would advise will depend on your situation. If you are close to a good affiliate, that is a great direction to go.

If not, buy K Starr's book and start finding out if you have any mobility restrictions. If you do, sort them out whilst learning how to properly do all the level 1 movements complexes in his book.

I would suggest starting on CFFB on the amateur progression. You may need to supplement some of the work for more specific skills to suit your goals. (You won't see much if any kipping, ring muscle ups, wall balls or DUs, but that can be worked in if they are things you feel you need). You will get stronger and more conditioned. After you have done this for 18-24 months and you have enough strength (basic) to do the slow lifts and a decent base with power versions of the lifts (power clean and power snatch) you can go from there. If you want to compete there are various blog programs or individualized programming. If you want to just lift you can do that too. At this point you will have more than enough base strength and conditioning to follow main page if that is your thing too.

That is almost what I did but not quite. I wish I would have started right on CFFB and built up more shoulder girdle strength off the get go. As well I wish I had someone who knew what they were doing to teach me the Snatch and Clean & Jerk from day one. Watch the Cal strength videos and drill that in.
Old 08-27-2013, 10:01 AM   #28
Dan Douglas

Profile:

Hate on curls all you want but, as long as they are not in the squat rack, they will keep you from tearing a bicep when your DL gets big.

Additionally, I had weak baby guns from years of curl-hating and throwing them in as accessory has indubitably helped my weighted pull up to start going up after a long, long, excruciatingly long flatline.
Old 08-28-2013, 08:54 PM   #29
Stanley Walter

Profile:

Properly scaling the deadlift and having good form plus coaching will also help keep you from tearing a bicep.

Not that I disagree with curls. Accessory work is okay, even if just for 'looks.'