CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 10-16-2005, 02:09 AM   #1
Alexander Karatis

Profile:
What an excellent edition this PM was! Cordain is always a joy to read, especially when he has something new to say, as he does in this case with his excerpt from "Paleo Diet for Athletes".

In short, let me see if I get this straight. He advocates the use of high glycemic carbohydrates to replenish glycogen stores and ensure a faster recovery for those "training hard" (my words).

Is this tied more to his exercise style (endurance stuff) or does he consider high intensity, short workouts as well?

Even IF one where to perform better in the WODs with a post workout high GL meal (say pasta with some good protein sources) do the deleterious effects of grains cease to exist if used as such?

I'd say it's very unlikely-So are their effects blunted by the timing and way they are consumed?

In short, besides the fact that we should avoid developing an addiction to sugar, does Cordain maintain that we would see an increase in performance in our athletic activities (WOD plus sports) without the long term side effects associated with grains, dairy, and generally insulin spiking food choices?

I'm trying to see if all the long term potential hazardous effects of such a diet (civilizational diseases etc) are directly linked with the more short-term and evident side effects it produces (obesity etc.) The rational being that if we can use them to fuel performance and avoid the short term side effects we should have steered clear of all the long term ones as well!
Old 10-16-2005, 04:32 AM   #2
Graham Hayes

Profile:
Chocolate milk as reccomended by Larry is my default post workout carbs. I ignore it as far as zone blocks go, but some recommend including it...whatever; I notice the difference. Recovery is super quick, I can rock 'n' roll the next day just as hard as the previous.
Old 10-16-2005, 05:35 AM   #3
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Thanks for the props Graham!
Old 10-16-2005, 07:56 AM   #4
Neal Winkler

Profile:
Oh, so now its ok to eat grains. I'm just about ready to give up on all this nutrition bunk, there is so much conflicting information out there, it's truely ridiculous.
Old 10-16-2005, 08:05 AM   #5
Neal Winkler

Profile:
Forgot something - I've been on the paleo diet for 2 days now. I've eaten everything; eggs, turkey, chicken, onions, tomatoes, romaine lettuce, spinach, pistasceos (sp?), almonds, peppers, fish, that purple lettuce stuff, apples, oranges, bannana, raisens, ect. ect. and I've lost 4 pounds.

Where's the big, bad, hunter-gather at? I thought he was supposed to come out? All I see is a 142lbs. weakling.

I'm sorry, but I've been trying to get bigger for almost the past ten years and no ones method has ever worked. Maybe I'm just not doing it right, but I'm starting to get very cynical, if you can't already tell.

I also had diarrea really bad yesterday.
Old 10-16-2005, 08:27 AM   #6
Dave Campbell

Profile:
How much change would you expect in 2 days?
Old 10-16-2005, 08:43 AM   #7
Neal Winkler

Profile:
I wouldn't expect a weight gain in two days obviously, but I also wouldn't expect a weight loss of four pounds.

What I'm trying to say is that if hunter-gatherers were and are all big and bad, then why am I dwindling away on their same diet? What am I doing wrong? Why doesn't anything work for me? Is there perhaps a grace period where my body has to get used to the new diet, before I make gains, and that is why I am losing weight?
Old 10-16-2005, 09:16 AM   #8
Chris Forbis

Profile:
Has your strength dwindled?

That's what you should be looking at.

Paleo/Zone will lean you out and allow you to maximize muscle gain from you workout. The diet itself will not put meat on your bones.

Sounds like you might want to look into Berardi's Massive Eating.
Old 10-16-2005, 09:19 AM   #9
Alexander Karatis

Profile:
Well Neal,

What do your workouts look like? Are you doing the WOD as prescribed?

Also, are you making sure you're not hypocaloric?
Old 10-16-2005, 09:23 AM   #10
Ross Hunt

Profile:
Neal,

Here is a good article on weight gain:

http://www.dragondoor.com/articler/mode3/334/

The weight loss may be water weight, or you may just need to eat more food. If you don't feel so hot, you probably need more fat in your diet.

Also: I have gained a little weight three times, using different diets each time (although I'm still too much too light), and the one thing that the experiences all had in common is that they were unpleasant. You don't just pick the right diet and suddenly see mass gains - at least, I never have. You pick the right diet - or even the wrong diet, for that matter - and eat more than you can stomach, five to seven times a day. Another tip: You don't make serious muscle gains without moderate fat gains. Again, this is just in my experience; unless my abs are blurring up at least a bit, I'm not putting on muscle mass.