CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 09-12-2004, 05:37 PM   #1
Ryan Atkins

Profile:
Entitled 'The Inuit Paradox,' this artice examines the almost all meat diet of this artic group. Probably mostly review for those of us who have read EVERY thread in the nutrition section of this board, but, for me, did present some new information (i.e. Vitamin C content in various portions of meat, protein cielings). The article references Stefansson and Atkins and includes material and quotes from Prof. Cordain.

Ryan
Old 09-13-2004, 05:26 AM   #2
Paul Theodorescu

Profile:
I think the key is that they eat the entire animal (including the eyes, etc.)
Old 09-13-2004, 06:11 AM   #3
Barry Cooper

Profile:
My understanding on the Inuit is that--while they don't have much heart disease--they do have a reasonably high mortality rate from all causes, and the average life expectancy is less than that for much of the world. Is that accurate? Was any of that discussed in the article?
Old 09-13-2004, 08:51 AM   #4
Ryan Atkins

Profile:
I don't know. Unfortunately, longevity issues weren't discussed. The only thing that came close was a brief mention of the increase in heart disease, etc. that comes with the adoption of a more western diet.

One of the main focal points was on how people eating an almost all meat diet could obtain the vitamins necessary for survival. In the Inuit's case they obtain Vitamin A from the oils and livers of the cold-water fishes and sea mammals. Vitamin D can be obtained from some of the same sources. Raw organ meats provide enough Vitamin C to avoid scurvy.

Another focal point was in macronutrient composition of the traditional Inuit diet. Comparisons are made between it and the Atkins diet. The article does a good job in describing how, although macronutrient ratios look similar between the two diets, the sources of fat and protein play a huge difference. An Inuit capturing/eating wild game will fare a lot better than the American who interprets Atkins as 'eat all the butter and bacon you want.' Differences between the fats of wild game, farm raised animals and the trans fats found in processed foods are discussed in the article.

Like I said, it's review for those of you who've been reading the board for a while, but, for someone who's just started, it makes a nice 5 page introduction to some key concepts. Plus it's nice to see some of this stuff being discussed in a mainstream publication.

FWIW,

Ryan