CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 05-02-2004, 03:08 PM   #1
Darren Reed

Profile:  
Hey guys. First post here. Really love Crossfit. I was just wondering if someoen could help me out with some measurements. I have subscribed to the CFJ, and notice that in this months Journal,a lot of the measurements are in cups. Now this may be a bit of a stupid question, but how many grams in a cup? If I am going to be measuring, surely a specific gram amount would be best? How much is a cup is basically what I am asking. As you can probably tell I am a complete cooking novice. Thanks for the help.

Darren
Old 05-02-2004, 06:35 PM   #2
Kevin Roddy

Profile:
Seeing as a gram is a measurement of weight, the amount of grams to a cup will vary from food to food. A cup is equal to 8 fluid ounces, or 240-something milliliters (I believe).
Old 05-02-2004, 11:27 PM   #3
Darren Reed

Profile:  
Now I am even more confused. If the amount in grams is diffrent for every food, how do you get the amount of food you need for optimal nutrition? The problem here is that I have no idea of what a cup of steak, chicken,cabbage etc "looks" like. How do I figure out how much grub is in a cup of X, Y or Z? Especially now considering that it will be different weights for each of X, Y and Z. I want to follow the Crossfit recommendations, and dont want to do it half-heartedly so getting the amounts I need at least 90% right is important to me. I dont want to be "guessing" what a cup is an actually getting half a cup or 2 cups in the process. That just defeats the purpose of things.
Old 05-03-2004, 01:08 PM   #4
Igor Torfs

Profile:
1 oz. = 30 grams
1 cup = 250 ml = more or less 250 grams
Old 05-03-2004, 03:37 PM   #5
Lynne Pitts

Profile:
Darren,
I think you're over-thinking this. The proteins are in oz - unit of weight. If you're metric, use Igor's conversions. The bulky stuff (raw veggies, etc.) are listed in cups - volume. Buy yourself a set of measuring cups.

I have a spiffy little digital scale for the weight items (chicken, steak, etc.) and just use my kitchen-cooking standard measuring cups for the oatmeal, cabbage, etc.

Make sense?
Old 05-03-2004, 09:23 PM   #6
Darren Reed

Profile:  
Got it guys. Thanks for the help. Much clearer now.