CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 07-23-2009, 11:07 PM   #1
Jason R O'Dell

Profile:
Overhead Press Help

Here is me doing an overhead press with 95 pounds:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkANM...e=channel_page (WFS)

I know that my elbows are pointed down too far. I still don't have the flexibility to get them where they're supposed to be.
I also haven't read the press section on SS yet (i got the book today) so this is all going off what I've seen in videos.
Old 07-24-2009, 06:29 AM   #2
Chris Caruso

Profile:
Re: Overhead Press Help

I think your elbows are ok, the starting position for a press isn't the same as the racked position for a power clean and the goal for the former isn't to get the elbows as high as possible(although yeah, your elbows looked best before and after the first rep but started pointing down more). You're overexaggerating the 'head forward once the bar clears your face' part. Try and think of it more as once the bar clears your face you need to make your head and torso linked as a single straight and rigid unit, which you then bring directly underneath the bar. Just tilting the neck doesn't add oomph to the lockout.
Old 07-24-2009, 08:33 AM   #3
Lawrence "Bo" Boland III

Profile:

I agree with Chris... your elbows are a little too high. You're getting closer to the "rack" position.

Another note: Hilarious guy behind you doing tricep extensions while watching himself in the mirror.
Old 07-24-2009, 09:15 AM   #4
Jason R O'Dell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence "Bo" Boland III View Post
I agree with Chris... your elbows are a little too high. You're getting closer to the "rack" position.

Another note: Hilarious guy behind you doing tricep extensions while watching himself in the mirror.
Ok. I'll ready the section on overhead press and then review the video. This was without reading that portion of SS yet.

I did find it was easier when resting the bar on my chest. I used to do OH Press with me basically holding the bar in front of me and that wasn't good. I couldn't push very much and my back got too involved. I saw a video of Rip teaching it and saw that it was supposed to start on my chest. Now I need to read that section.

Oh yeah the guy behind me, those guys did nothing but arm exercises. They did 50 variations of the bicep curl it seemed.
Old 07-28-2009, 04:13 PM   #5
Graeme Howland

Profile:

I would add, you look a little soft in terms of body position. The press, like all the big lifts, requires total body tension. Before the rep, take a big breath, squeeze everything tight (butt, torso especially), this gives you a lot better power transmission to the bar. Also, do not look up at the start of the lift, look straight ahead and pull your head back a few inches to let the bar path, don't tilt your head back.
Old 07-28-2009, 06:13 PM   #6
Sean Rooks

Profile:

OT...That background music has me primed to get my swell on!