CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 07-11-2007, 03:04 PM   #1
Skip Chase

Profile:
Effective immediately, Mt. Baker CrossFit in Mount Vernon, WA is offering 'sponsored', free fitness training to 20 middle/junior high school aged students who are overweight/obese and require assistance to achieve a healthy level of fitness. The selected students will receive fitness training and nutritional guidance.

Students and parents must agree to the following procedures for acceptance:

1-apply for the program.Applications are available at Mt Baker CrossFit, 1100 Roosevelt Drive, Suie D, Mount Vernon, WA during normal business hours.

2-Schedule a meeting with Skip Chase. The meeting must take place at the students home with parents/parent/guardian. Various topics will be discussed to include the goals of the parent, student and Mt Baker CrossFit, regarding this program. Time will also be spent in the kitchen, specifically the refrigerator and pantry.

3-Student must gain physician approval to enter the program. Physician approval must be received in writing on physicians letterhead.

4-Student and parents/parent/guardian MUST commit to the students consistent, weekly (at least 3 sessions per week) participation. An absence may be excused with proper written notification.

www.mtbakercrossfit.com
www.mtbakercrossfitkids.blogspot.com
Old 07-11-2007, 04:48 PM   #2
Damien Del Russo

Profile:
That's a great program Skip - I am training my neighbor and he is loving it so far. He still looks forward to his off day a bit, but that is to be expected I suppose. It's very rewarding to see the improvement.

Good luck with the program,

Damien
Old 07-11-2007, 07:08 PM   #3
Craig Howard

Profile:
Skip, I love the idea and will likely use it in the near future. I'm committed to brining fitness to kids and am convinced that the junior high school age is ideal for meaningful influence.

Keep us posted on the success of this program, please.
Old 07-11-2007, 07:59 PM   #4
John Seiler

Profile:
That's fantastic, Skip. You continue to grow the vision. Thank you for sharing your ideas with us.

Old 07-11-2007, 08:34 PM   #5
Wade Miller

Profile:
Skip,

Thanks for being so open with all your ideas. It means a lot too many people in this community. I always love reading your post and learn something new all the time.

All the Best,

Wade
Old 07-13-2007, 04:44 PM   #6
Frank DiMeo

Profile:
Skip--
Your sense of contributing to the betterment of your fellow man is exemplary.
You are a great role model for them (and us).
Great job!
Old 07-16-2007, 07:26 AM   #7
Skip Chase

Profile:
Thank you for the kind comments. If you are serious about beginning a similar program here are a few suggestions.

1-Contact your local health department and inform them of your intentions.
2-Send an email, letter or flyer to your local pediatricians and family physicians.
3-Send a PSA to your local media. Radio and TV stations are required, by the FCC, to broadcast a certain number of Public Service Announcements on a monthly basis. PSA's are broadcast for free, as a public service. Yours may be one of those they choose.
4-Inform your local churches, Rotary Club, Kiwanis , etc.

If you need help in writing a PSA, let me know.

www.mtbakercrossfit.com
www.mtbakercommandokravmaga.com
Old 07-16-2007, 07:48 AM   #8
Adam Head

Profile:
Skip,
Awesome idea. I've been toying with an idea like this for a few weeks. I think that sounds like an awesome way to go about not only combating the child obesity epidemic, but in marketing also. That truly is guerrilla marketing at it's finest. Keep us informed on how it works out.
Old 07-16-2007, 02:08 PM   #9
Wade Miller

Profile:
Skip,

A quick question.
I noticed you say "sponsored", free program...

Are "you/ your business" the sponsor per say or is there an actual financial sponsor lined up for these young folks.

I also didn't notice, how long is this sponsored program running, for this particular group of 20. Do you have a target date to complete this program and move them to another phase of training or ....

I really have been thinking about doing something like this not only for the young folks but also open it up to all ages.

We have just been approved to become an affiliate and I was wandering what your thoughts were on using an approach like this to get the word out.

Sorry, for rambling and thank you all for your imput and advice.

All the Best,

Wade
wade@midohiocrossfit.com
www.midohiocrossfit.com

Old 07-16-2007, 06:16 PM   #10
Skip Chase

Profile:
Mt Baker CrossFit is the 'sponsor'.
We have another program, a high school student program, 'sponsored' by Mt Baker CrossFit and a client who owns a Real Estate company. The client pays for the training of 10 high school students and we sponsor 10. We gained NCAA approval for this program.

No target date for completion. My only 'cost' is my time, and I will train kids as long as it takes. I am going to take one day at a time.

We deserve to get paid for what we do. Would I open it up to all ages? No. We have 200 members supporting our business, and I can 'afford' to give something to the community, and the more we give the more we receive.

www.mtbakercrossfit.com
www.mtbakercommandokravmaga.com