CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 08-17-2014, 06:35 AM   #1
Patrick Rushbrook

Profile:
Weights for vest

What are you all doing for vest weights? I bought a best from CFF but can't find any add-on weight. Maybe I just suck at google..lol. I have a bunch of sand laying around though and thought about putting it in some zip lock bags or something. Only thing is, I've never used sand for anything that didn't result in a huge mess, disappointment, or injury..lol
Old 08-17-2014, 08:14 AM   #2
Michael A. Jones

Profile:
Re: Weights for vest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Rushbrook View Post
What are you all doing for vest weights? I bought a best from CFF but can't find any add-on weight. Maybe I just suck at google..lol. I have a bunch of sand laying around though and thought about putting it in some zip lock bags or something. Only thing is, I've never used sand for anything that didn't result in a huge mess, disappointment, or injury..lol
Not sure which vest you got but I have a Mir short and used a combination of 5# diving weights (off Craigslist) and small sandbags from some old ankle weights. I can get the weight up to about 25# with that method.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Gold-s-Gym...ights/21672516 (WSF)

http://www.amazon.com/Sea-Pearls-Unc...8287749&sr=1-4 (WSF)

Michael
Old 08-17-2014, 10:25 AM   #3
Dakota Base

Profile:
Re: Weights for vest

Best bang for the buck, for an affordable option at least, is lead.

Lead fishing weights, scrap wheel weights, or lead buckshot from hunting supply shops.

One way to keep sand from becoming an absolute mess, which also works fantastically for the lead shot:

Large Ziploc bag, duct taped shut, inside smaller crown royal bags, or even just a sock. Ziploc is great for positive sealing, but it's vulnerable. While they wouldn't be "particle-tight" themselves, adding the bag/sock gives extra support. The duct tape seal on the bag is just a security measure to help it stay sealed. You can wrap them with rubber bands to help them hold shape if needed.

If you're handy with a sewing machine, any fabric will do, but crown bags and socks are easy to find and already the right shape.

Another option, although more expensive and much more time consuming - but a fantastic option - is to use bike inner tubes, sealed either by tying them tight with wire, or cutting, folding, and sealing with contact cement. Done well, bike tubes can hold sand or shot so well that you can shoot them out of a potato gun multiple times and it survives without spilling (don't ask me how I know). Produces a really factory looking, professional weight.