CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 05-05-2007, 01:23 PM   #1
Thomas Gerace

Profile:
Hi. Im new to this board and to Crossfit. Im a police officer in the western part of New York State. Ive been a regular exerciser. Lifting, running etc. But as advertised, crossfit is an entirely different animal. Im finishing off my first week of scaled down WOD and am still a sore puppy. Which brings me to my question, which is both "exercise philosophical" and literal.

The literal question...how long of a delayed onset muscle soreness issue can one expect when starting Crossfit? And once you are initiated, is DOMS a constant companion?

For the philosophical question...to those in the military and LE fields, how do you balance pushing yourself hard for gains with being "100%" on the street/in the field? There have been times where I have pushed myself hard in the gym and paid with getting out of my squad car feeling like a 100 yo man. Thats when I hope that I dont have to chase somebody down or fight with someone. I sometimes find myself staying in the "same old. same old" workout routine because I can do it without feeling wasted the next day, but then I feel guilty for coasting. How do you balance going to the "next level" with being "fresh for the street"?
Old 05-05-2007, 02:26 PM   #2
Connie Morreale

Profile:
hey thomas! welcome to crossfit.

doms usually is at its worst 48 hours post push. the ability of the muscles to adapt is phenomenol. you will find that you are less and less sore as you adapt. the rotation of the exercises in the wods are designed to minimize adaptation. that may sound bad, but it's good. the minute your body stops having to adapt is when progress stops.
at least a couple workouts a week i pay for it some the next day or two, but not in a way that limits my daily activity. and then....every so often something like the filthy fifty comes along to make a liar out of me.
a lot of people time the wods to thier weekly schedules rather than crossfits schedule.
maybe you can schedule the super intense workouts the day before you have a day off?
good luck
---------

dy try n
Old 05-05-2007, 03:11 PM   #3
Bryan Gollhofer

Profile:
Hey Thomas,

You will like it here, welcome. I am in LE as well and can tell you that when I first started with very scaled back WOD's I went through some pretty nasty DOMS. However, as you progress through, it will get better. I now am still scaling the WOD's slightly but I am on the 3 days on 1 day off schedule and it rarely affects work as far as DOMS go now. You will still have sore days from working your body in ways you never have, but it won't be near what it is when you began.

Enjoy it, your in the right place. Great people hear to learn from.

Bryan
Old 05-05-2007, 05:33 PM   #4
Thomas Gerace

Profile:
Nice to meet ya'll. I work a straight 4-2.

Im tellin ya... I run regularly and even after doing 4-6 mi, with a last 400 yd at a sprint, I haven huffed and puffed as much as I did doing a few of these workouts. LOL

What brought me here is that weaklegged sensation Id get during a foot chase...you know, sprinting after a bad guy and hopping a fence or two in full LE "battle rattle". And hoping there wasnt going to be a serious fight at the end of it. It became obvious that my lifting/running wasnt cutting it in translation into the job requirements. Im hoping this is the fix.

(Message edited by tgace334 on May 05, 2007)

(Message edited by tgace334 on May 05, 2007)
Old 05-05-2007, 05:41 PM   #5
Jason Lopez-Ota

Profile:
You should try a foam roller nd/or a stick from www.thestick.com (wfs). I did a WOD yesterday with a lot of wall balls, high pulls, and box jumps which usually leaves my legs really sore. I used a foam roller and one of those sticks and my legs are barely sore at all today. It's slightly uncomfortable, but it works!
Old 05-06-2007, 06:36 AM   #6
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Thomas, older LE guy here. You will adapt in about three weeks or so. I've been doing this for 4 years and am rarely sore the next day now. A little light exercise prior to your shift (rowing, or even joint mobility) should take care of some of the stiffness. Contrast showers (1 minute hot / 30 seconds cold...work up your exposure to cold a little) will also help. You need to make sure your nutrition is on line too. The benefits are, by far, worth the DOMS. Lots or LE here with great stories. Unexpected benefit: I don't get the adrenal dump like I used to after a startling event. I think you adapt to fear stimulus with daily brutal workouts.

(Message edited by kali on May 06, 2007)
Old 05-06-2007, 08:22 AM   #7
Laura Rucker

Profile:
I have an anecdotal illustration about doms and the adrenal dump. I'm not LEO by the way.

I'm 41 and almost three years in with CrossFit. A week ago I skidded into the back of a stopped vehicle at a green light on a 50mph road. Skidded about 150 feet hitting at about 30mph. Expected and warned about delayed muscle soreness by LEO on scene and friends/trainers. I expected arms back and leg soreness from tensing everything to will my car to stop in time. Three days-nothing. 4 days-nothing. 5 days- went back to working out.

Today I can barely walk because of painstorm yesterday - 350 barbell thrusters.

Ironic isn't it? Once you get your body ready for anything by pushing it to its limits, you will find the every day soreness reduced and your field readiness will be so much better. You won't even be aware of it until the $(/t hits the fan.

I hope this wasn't too off topic.

(Message edited by laurar on May 06, 2007)
Old 05-06-2007, 12:33 PM   #8
Bryan Gollhofer

Profile:
I think it was right ON topic Laura. Great post, and glad you didn't suffer any bad effects from the accident.
Old 05-06-2007, 08:41 PM   #9
Chad McBroom

Profile:
I will concur that the major DOMS last for about the first three weeks. After that, you will feel a little soreness after the WOD's, but it will usually be just enough to let you know you're alive:-)

I do a 5 on 2 off schedule and I follow a few days behind so I can adjust the WOD's to my schedule (MetCon, Focus, MetCon, Focus, MetCon). I also put the "MONSTERS" at the end of the week so I have the weekend to recover (also a LEO).
Old 05-07-2007, 07:51 AM   #10
Thomas Gerace

Profile:
Thanks for all the replies guys. I concur, the DOMS has subsided to a dull ache. Even when it was pretty bad I still kept with the program, albeit at a reduced intensity and longer rest periods. So its been a good lesson in persevering through discomfort, which in itself has many applications to law enforcement. Never Give Up!